Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

We’ll send him cheesy movies, the worst we can find (la-la-la)

May 5, 2009

BLOG GUY! I’m SO excited! I just heard my favorite TV show from the last century may return! Do you recall Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Sure. MST3K was my favorite, too. A guy and some robots were up in space, and an evil genius made them watch the worst movies, as an experiment.

You would see the awful movie, and in the foreground the shadowy cast would make funny remarks from theater seats. Very hip, smart-ass pop culture stuff.

I KNEW you’d be a fan! You don’t have any more of a life than I do! Is it being revived?

Not really. I saw a screening of a new one where the guys just make fun of an aquarium. As you see below, that gets old really fast.

That’s so depressing. Are their riffs even funny at all?

Only if you can laugh at Tom Servo shouting, “Look at that big fat fish!”

Sigh. Guess I’ll just have to be content with your blog, then.

Impress your boss. Join the Oddly Enough blog network!

Give yourself a Tweat. Follow this blog at rbasler

Above: MST3K screen grab

Below: Pacific bluefin tuna swim in a fish tank at Tokyo Sea Life Park in Tokyo, May 3, 2009. REUTERS/Issei Kato

Comments

oh man, not only did you get my hopes up for a second that mst3k was coming back, but you also got the theme song stuck in my head! Thanks a lot Basler!

Posted by mikec | Report as abusive

Hey, no problem, Mike. Just repeat to yourself “It’s just a show, I should really just relax…”The best revenge here is to send the item along to somebody else – or maybe a LOT of people! Think back. Aren’t there old friends you used to watch the show with? Isn’t it time to reconnect?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Wish it would come back!

Posted by Doug | Report as abusive

Apparently, you haven’t yet discovered RiffTrax.com. Mike Nelson is still at it only now he does newer movies. Also, Joel and some of the others do Cinematic Titanic.

Posted by AlaskanShade | Report as abusive

MST3K has become Cinematic Titanic. Same guy, same deal, same laughs, better director: http://www.cinematictitanic.com/

Posted by Chris | Report as abusive

Eh, rifftrax is ok. Cinematic Titanic, however, is awesome! Original cast, pretty much!

Posted by Joey | Report as abusive

Damn you Basler, playing with my feelings like that! Oh, that Joel was so dreamy….

Posted by Vistara | Report as abusive