Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Stand up, Mr. Spector. Oh, sorry!

June 11, 2009

Well, Madison Avenue gets screwed again!

Below, you can see photos of music legend Phil Spector released by corrections officials, without any of his numerous wigs, as he begins a sentence of 19 years to life for the 2003 murder of an actress.

But WAIT! The caption warns that these photos can’t be used for advertising campaigns.

Just suck it up, all you ad agencies champing at the bit to feature a bald, 69-year-old murderer to sell your Dentine or Lucky Charms or whatever.

Sorry, that goes for you guys with the Hair Club for Men advertising account, too.

But here’s what I really like about these photos. As if Spector doesn’t have enough trouble, they add insult to injury by releasing mugshots that show he barely covers the five-foot mark on the wall. Gee thanks, guys!

Spector’s wigs

Get a clue. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Above: Music producer Phil Spector in the Los Angeles Superior Court, for his sentencing for the February 2003 shooting death of actress Lana Clarkson, May 29, 2009. REUTERS/Al Seib/Pool

Left: Shots of Spector, dated June 5, 2009 and released June 10, 2009. REUTERS/California Department of Corrections/Handout. FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS

Comments

Mr Bob,

Beware of exposing leprechuans, whether said leprechaun is wearing kelly green, or not!

Look, anyone can tell the future by staring into his, ummm, shiny elongated forehead.

Be careful! Leprechauns will get you for showing one of their own!

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

Ooof! So you’re poking fun at a convicted murderer for being short, bald, and ugly. Better make sure you get on his parole board, dude.

These would make great pictures for Planned Parenthood ads.
Or maybe for assisted suicide rights groups.

Posted by Tim | Report as abusive

Hey Bandage, did I say anything about ugly?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Wait, you mean that’s not Gollum from Lord of the Rings? o_O

Posted by Carne | Report as abusive

Well, Robert, if he ever comes out you can be sure he’ll try and hit you with a wall of sound so big it’ll make your heart stop!

Posted by M | Report as abusive

Oops! Did I say ‘ugly’? I mean ‘lovely’! Short, bald, and LOVELY, Mr. Spector! Cross my heart and hope to d- er… My but that’s a fine tie you’re wearing!

Mr Bob,

Maybe you can do as I did? Enter the Marine Corps, hang with it for 20 years, and by all means, expose youself to small, medium and large arms fire.

Then you will be as deaf as I am.

No more worrying about Ms ‘Wall o’ Sound!’

Oh, and I watched Mythbusteras last night, even though I run and hide when that skinny know it all does his try at sounding like an Englishman.

He is worse than Dick Van Dyke when he tries to sound English in the movie ‘Mary Poppins.’. Dropping Hs and butchering the rest doesn’t make him sound English to me.
Maybe it does to someone that has never had an English girlfriend?

Anyway, it was ‘proved’ that sonic booms don’t ever break glass, no matter how loud or close that they are.

But then, the show that ‘disproved’ the ‘fact’ that servicemen can block frags from a hand grenade by jumping on them also, awhile back, certainly knows better than the people who are saved by some brave servicemen.

And by all means, take back the posthumous Congressional Medal of Honor from these people, also.

I mean, with such a ‘fact packed’ show showing that not all is as it seems, we should be very careful not honoring those who have died to save their brothers.

Anyway, just join the USMC. No more worries!

About dying from the infamous ‘Wall of Sound,’ anyway!

There! Do I win ‘The Most Gripes per Posting of the Day’ contest?

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

Mr Bob,

You can let this post slide into oblivion, but I am just telling you that your posting before this is blocked to comments.

Your biggest fan, kind of like Cathy Bates in the movie ‘Misery.’

Or was it Kathy? Who really cares, besides you great bloggy type thinkers?

And/or, was it ‘Your number one fan?’

I spend more time reading your posts than checking for spellings, and such like.

My bad.

Tim

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

I dont get it, so did the corrections officials get five months in jail for taking his wigs and taking away Spector’s “freedom to look good”??!

Posted by Minnow | Report as abusive

Thanks for catching that, Tim. I wondered why I wasn’t hearing from any photographers or cheerleaders. It’s open for comments now.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Phil,

ummmmm Does this void our multi-CD recording contract? Does it also mean that you will be unable to “accept the award on my behalf” because there will be no Grammy because there will be no multi-CD recording contract? I feel your pain Phil (or Fill). Now I understand why you might have wanted to go out and kill an actress. I have an almost uncontrollable urge right now to go out and kill a certain music producer. Well, I can only hope that you and Big Bubba will have an unforgettable 19 years to life together, and that every day brings a new and different surprise.

Lonnie

Posted by MikeVa | Report as abusive

champing at the bit LOL

Mr Basler! In the slideshow about the new Madame Tussaud’s in Hollywood, there’s one picture of workers carrying a figure of Jim Carrey in what looks like a sleeping bag, a la Cleopatra. I smell comedy gold, please don’t disappoint!

Posted by Joanna | Report as abusive

Thanks for the suggestion, Joanna. Yes, those pix are festering in my mind and may show up in the blog. Problem is, there’s so much stupid stuff around and not enough hours in the day to make fun of it all…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

You have to wonder what that parade of wigs and outfits did to his credibility with the jury.

When your continued freedom depends on convincing twelve people who couldn’t manage to avoid jury duty that you’re telling the truth, I don’t think it’s a wise time to play the eccentric card.

Posted by chartguy | Report as abusive