Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

It’s nothing years of therapy won’t cure…

June 15, 2009

Blog Guy, you used to do a good job of covering stupid sports around the world, but you haven’t done any lately. Do I have to switch to another stupid sports blog?

No, please don’t. Look, this just in from Spain, the sport of Baby Jumping is growing rapidly in popularity.

Babies can’t jump, can they?

You don’t understand. The competitors, dressed like the devil and holding a big stick, jump OVER mattresses full of defenseless babies.

No they don’t.

Yes, they do. But don’t worry, these are special babies, bred and raised just to participate in this sport. Oh wait, no. Those are the bulls they use in bullfights. I think these are just regular babies.

What if a jumper LANDS on a baby?

Well, he certainly doesn’t get to come back for the next round, I’ll tell you that.

Reach for the stars. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

A man dressed in a costume representing the devil, known as El Colacho, jumps over babies placed on a mattress during traditional Corpus Christi celebrations in Castrillo de Murcia, near Burgos, Spain, June 14, 2009. The town has for centuries chosen to protect its young from evil spirits with the unusual ritual. REUTERS/Felix Ordonez

Comments

Well, this may look a little reckless to the uninitiated but I’m sure having this guy land on your baby is nothing compared to what the evil spirits would do without the ritual… Can we please show some tolerance here?

Mr Bandage,

Mr Basler can do as he pleases!

But I do wonder how the footprint is erased on the baby that this old devil is stepping on, in the second pic!

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

Just another example of the absurd superstitious behaviour of otherwise rational people. The belief in evil spirits is simply a religion sponsored delusion and it’s about time humanity grew out of it. Tolerance of insane behaviour is tacit approval of that behaviour and remarkably irresponsible for a species that likes to consider itself intelligent.

Is it just me or in that bottom picture does it look like our good friend El Colacho is about to step on the head of one of the babies?

I guess that’s one way to protect it from the evil spirits.

If he landed on the mattress, would they be bouncing babies?

Posted by Lady Weasel | Report as abusive

Lady Weasel, back and in great form!

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I’ve seen it done with motorbikes in Mexico and it’s great.

Posted by Gatters78 | Report as abusive

Hopscotch with a degree of difficuty!

When was the last time you heard of a Spanish baby being possessed by an evil spirit?

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

Rational people: Another oxymoron performed for you by the one and only EvilGod. For our more dyslexic readers, that would be Godivel (not to be confused with the popular chocolate candies).

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

The last club toting gent who wanted to protect me from evil got me to spend $19.95, lose the key, and render my Ford Pinto undrivable (and thus safe) for over a week. Sonofa…

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

A baby possessed by evil spirits is something we simply cannot tolerate. Evil spirits are, well — evil. And we don’t like evil. Evil is bad. Bad babies make bad children and then we have to correct their behavior. Who wants to do that when you can just have some lunatic sail four feet in the air over your babe? Doesn’t that make things better for all?

The girls in Spain go naked in the rain. And so it goes.

this is sick…

Posted by bby_70 | Report as abusive

Is that like, ‘Rad 720, Cartman’ sick or ‘How did your snorkel get stuck in a camel’s butt in the first place’ sick?

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

@ Shawn Hendricks.
okay. I suppose “rational people” is almost an oxymoron but there are a few of us.
I am the “one and only”? Cool!
Godivel? What the?
Do I know you?

I think the one question you gotta ask yourself is do I know YOU. Well, do I? Punk?

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

I was simply trying to make sense of your comment. Perhaps it was not your intent for it to make sense in which case I congratulate you. Well done! You have achieved the amazing feat of wasting the time of a complete stranger. If however it was intended to make sense you failed. Miserably.

Well, someone didn’t pick up on the Harry Calahan reference. BTW, Godiva is a chocolate with which many OB readers may be familiar.
I grow weary of explaining myself.
Farewell, all, and good night.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive