“How’s your Bypass Burger, Lonnie? Lon? Lon!”

June 18, 2009

The problem with providing health care to every American is that it would even go to patrons of the Heart Attack Grill, a hospital-themed restaurant in Arizona.

That eatery, employing all the knee- slapping humor that life-threatening coronary disease has to offer, serves up a “Quadruple Bypass Burger” to customers, and when they’re finished, a waitress pushes them out to the car in a wheelchair.

If you think I’m making this up, check out our slideshow.

If this place is a success, look for restaurants exploiting the rich humor to be found in brain tumors, Alzheimer’s and third degree burns.

“Sorry sir, our “Big Burn Burger’ only comes well-done…”

Heart Attack Grill Slideshow

Find inner peace. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Above: Waitress Elisha Greenleaf takes Julian Moreno to his vehicle in a wheelchair after he ate a Quadruple Bypass Burger at the Heart Attack Grill in Chandler, Arizona June 17, 2009.

Left: A patron has his photo taken with waitress Gigi Gilbert.

REUTERS photos by Joshua Lott

People like Mr Basler have an underdeveloped sense of humor, which they highlight by taking something completely different and making an inappropriate (burns, Alzheimer’s) equivalence to a place like this restaurant.This is the next battle, sheeple: once the gov’t has control of healthcare, they can and will then tell you what you can eat and when. Yes, there are too many fat people in this country. Darwin will take care of them.I’m tires of all the self-righteous nanny-ninnies wagging their fingers and clucking over us like mother hens.The reason places like the H.A.G. thrive to rebel against the Nanny State.

Posted by steve | Report as abusive

Nanny-ninnies? I’m not sure we can even say that in a family-oriented blog.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

“Yes, there are too many fat people in this country. Darwin will take care of them.”Unfortunately, sir, you’ve misunderstood the basic tenets of natural selection. You presume the trait (being fat) imposes a limitation on reproduction. In fact, I wager that fat people have no problem reproducing. Indeed, the trait probably arises or is exacerbated well after (or even because) the person has reproduced, further limiting its ability to inhibit reproduction.Ho, ho, I’m sorry dear Steve, I’m afraid the government must step in. Otherwise, I’m afraid you will simply be outbred!

Posted by Charles Darwin | Report as abusive

Big Burn Burger hahahahahahahaha good one!

Posted by Geeee | Report as abusive

“I’m guessing the first time a customer actually HAS a heart attack at the Grill and slumps out of his booth dead – the way they eat, that will be sooner rather than later – the other diners are going to have trouble remembering what they thought was so damned funny.”I’ll tell you something, if the heart attack was caused by the burger itself, I would probably fall out of my booth laughing – perhaps even have a heart attack myself from laughing so hard…

Posted by dave | Report as abusive

I think Charles Darwin has a point there. there has to be a reason why obese people have become more prevalent.. perhaps it’s because obese people are stealing the food of skinny people therefore starving them to death. survival of the fittest! or should i say fattesT?

Posted by minnow | Report as abusive

Clearly, the waitresses are not allowed to eat there.

Posted by ravenintherain | Report as abusive

Arizona: Refuge of the Free!

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

[...] you weren’t convinced the world is going to hell from reading my post on the Heart Attack Grill, here’s an item that should put you over the [...]

I’ll stick with the relatively simple pleasures. All I want is a restaurant that makes you PHAT… *zing!*