Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Abe Lincoln, the Big Cheese!

July 4, 2009

Happy July 4th, Blog Guy. I just saw an Abe Lincoln statue made of cheese. Isn’t that disrespectful?

No. If you know your history, you know Lincoln was a passionate cheese enthusiast.

It was Abe who pushed the bounds of home entertaining by rolling up cheese and pecans together, creating the popular cheese log.

HE did that?

Sure. He called them Lincoln Logs.  He also pioneered new forms of smelly Limburger Cheese, making his own pungent recipe.

Uh-oh. What was that called?

What do you think? “Stinkin’ Lincoln.”

Apart from the “Gettysburg Address,” Lincoln’s most famous speech was his 1863 “Homage to Fromage.” And, his 1864 presidential campaign slogan was ”He’s not just gouda, he’s grate!”

You’re right, I do recall something about that. What was that phrase he used to predict the mass popularity of cheese?

He called it a “feta compli.”

Gosh Blog Guy, you seem to know quite a few cheese-related puns.

Well, I don’t like to boast, but they do call me the “Münster Punster.”

Follow my blog on Twitter at rbasler

Cheez-It commissioned 700-pound life-size cheddar cheese carving of Abraham Lincoln, on display near the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, July 3, 2009. REUTERS/Ray Stubblebine/Cheez-It/Handout

Comments

That was hilarious. Feta compli – good one.

Thanks, Paige…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Where oh where is Dr. Doll. We need more of that cheesy commentary.

Posted by Tim | Report as abusive

Not one mention of his greatest acheesement? Holding the Union together with the invention of American single slices?

Münster Punster :) )) will they eat it?

Posted by Caglar | Report as abusive

A good point, John. I also forgot to mention Lincoln’s decision to dress the Union Army in bleu….

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Damme! I will not be outdone by a Yank.
I intend to create a Vegemite Koala, anatomically correct in every way. I will take it in a caravane around Oz, generating an abondance of patriotism.
Eventually, I will become Pez Gordo.
Then, world domination! (Does North Korea make cheese?)

Posted by floppagrunnybarcus | Report as abusive

Sorry, Flop’. In the US, vegemite is verboten by the food nazis so V.K. (Vikki?) cannot be issued a visa.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Sorry again, Flop’. The sculpting job was, like everything else, subcontracted to artists in China. Not for nothing but have you ever considered farming out the world domination bit to China? It would probably cost less. Of course, it would probably incorporate loads of lead (ulp!) and end up with the Chinese holding de facto long-term rights anyway. Then again, the way things seem to be going…

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Now children, if you plant your penny in rich soil and keep watering it, it will sprout and grow up all big and cheezy. Remember not to plant it in a cracked pot.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

If we take a huge mound of tortilla chips in the shape of Mary Todd and leave Abe on top in the hot sun, will we see what their kid might have turned out like or just set another boring nacho record? Riddle me that, Salsa Man!

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Apparently, Vegemite is not verboten, but simply a national commercial flop in the US. Kraft owns it but doesn’t market it here.

As for pennies, we found a 1898 liberty penny in the yard yesterday. It was so corroded that identification was almost impossible. Too bad that 28 million of them were minted; so, it’s essentially worthless. It hadn’t sprouted and didn’t grow up.

A mound of chips in the shape of Mary Todd would be just as crazy as she was: covered in cheeze or not.

Posted by gwmc | Report as abusive

Well, at least they didn’t use Gorgonzola…

Posted by Joe the Big Cheese | Report as abusive

Sort of looks like Obama with a beard if you ask me.

Posted by dave | Report as abusive

RETRACTIONS:
According to the single most authoritative and reliable source on the entire Internet, Wikipedia (from which all truth [thus Beauty] flows), Vegemite is legal in the US.

Mary Todd Lincoln is not and has never been a pile of crazy nacho chips.

Posted by Shawn Hendricks | Report as abusive

Shawn, I accept yr humble apology. I’m glad you did, cos it was heading to the point where we scrambled our 3 Sopwith Camels, 2 Sherman tanks and one lifeboat to make war on you damn Yankees.
(And Robert, I’m still sulking about the matador post; IMHO it was my best work, and it never appeared. Yr now on my list)

Posted by floppagrunnybarcus | Report as abusive

Floppybarcus… I can’t recall why that comment wasn’t posted. Maybe it used one of the words we’re not allowed to use, like for instance booger or douche bag or pus.

Still, it’s nice to be on somebody’s list.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive