Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

More Twit than Twitter?

July 16, 2009

This is for the reader who wrote, “Bob, I love it when you make fun of British stuff, like Funny Hat Day and the Royal Ascot. Why don’t you do more of that?”

Thanks for the kind words, reader, but I’m afraid I just can’t do nearly as good a job as they do themselves.

For instance, they recently held the “Let’s Make Fun of What Dolts We Are” festival, which they call the Chap Olympiad. They had events like the cucumber sandwich discus, bicycle jousting with umbrellas, etc.

All of it was aimed at – in the words of an organizer – “celebrating our ineptitudes.”

In recognition of that great self-mocking spirit I’m going to grow up, control my impulses, and just let this video report speak for itself.

Oh crap, who am I kidding? Here’s a really goofy picture of Prince Charles, who wasn’t even there.

Be among the elite. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Above: Prince Charles, July 9, 2009. REUTERS/ Leon Neal/Pool

Left: Contestants participate in the Chap Olympiad 2009 in London,  July 11, 2009. REUTERS/ Luke MacGregor

Comments

I think a bowler hat would just about complete me.

Mr Bob!

Don’t make fun of our cousins!

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

So THIS is where the inspiration for the Mr. Potato head came from?…

Posted by bby_70 | Report as abusive

Hi America, I wondered how you thought ground hog day and the bush as president thing played out with us?

Posted by Paul Austin | Report as abusive

Paul Austin,

Just about as popular as the 4th of July?

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

@Paul Austin: Since you apparently don’t speak or write the Queen’s English, how do you think Guy Fawkes plays out with us? Honestly, even as ex-pats, we don’t care how anything plays out with you. We love to come for a quick visit, only to be happy to not still be subjects of the Crown. If only someone like Maggie was still PM….

Posted by gwmc | Report as abusive

Sounds like Monty Pythons “Upperclass Twit of the Year” contest ;-)

Posted by Frank | Report as abusive

I’d say about as popular as Mike Tyson’s ear biting skills, OJ Simpson’s trials (parts I and II) or Paris Hilton…

Posted by M | Report as abusive