Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

You don’t haggle at Kroger?

August 19, 2009

Quick quiz: In this photo on the right, President Obama is saying to the Kroger manager…

• “Five bucks for clementines? I pay $3.99 at the Safeway near the White House!
  • “What the frick is a clementine?”
  • “Do you sell these things in heavy syrup in a can?
  • “I’m thinkin’ of gettin’ these for my death panels. You know how many pounds it takes to kill a really old person?”

Actually, the most interesting thing that happened at that Kroger visit was when Obama took a piece of fruit and ate it in front of everybody. The White House said he paid for it “seconds later.”

Well, maybe so, but I’ve tried the old, “Oh, I was GONNA pay you for that six-pound Cadbury bar I ate in aisle four,” and guess how well it worked for ME?

Above: President Barack Obama holds a town hall meeting about health care at the Kroger Supermarket in Bristol, Virginia, July 29, 2009.

Right: Obama holds up a piece of fruit after biting into it.

REUTERS photos by Larry Downing

Comments

“Do I dare to eat a peach? Hell yes, I’m the President!”

Posted by Krista | Report as abusive

Cool, an Allman Brothers reference!

Posted by Tim | Report as abusive

hilarious as always! Loved the multiple choice

Posted by Different Tim | Report as abusive

I liked Krista’s reference, too, but I’m guessing it’s Eliot. Maybe it’s both. That would be impressive.

Posted by Andrew | Report as abusive

It is both, but I believe Eliot was first…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I’m guessing Krista was referring to Eliot, but I thought I would have some fun with it. I am impressed by your readers, Bob, for catching it.

Posted by Tim | Report as abusive

My readers catch everything, Tim.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Well, we do catch everything, but only if it falls very slowly and in a linear trajectory… otherwise, it might be tricky!

And the fact that we catch these things actually reflects the type of generation we belong to, and I’m guessing it ain’t the one with the over-developed thumbs from SMSs and video consoles since before puberty!

I mean, we ARE looking for humour in a blog in a news site!

Posted by M | Report as abusive