Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Who’s too cool for school?

August 24, 2009

I comb through stories, photos and video from all over the world to bring you the news you need, and lately I am noticing a definite trend.

The world’s important dudes are fighting a nonstop battle for the coolest image.

The power of a major action may be dwarfed by a single photo of a leader looking macho.

So, I’ve pulled a few totally random shots of U.S. President Barack Obama, Russia’s Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and Britain’s Prince Charles, to get your feedback on who’s winning the 2009 Coolest Dude race.

Readers, who makes a pair of sunglasses work?

Who looks best at a sporting event, wearing a hat, and so on?

Cast your votes, and let the raging testosterone surge!

Coming tomorrow: Photos of Putin wrestling a tiger, Obama climbing a vertical rock wall and Prince Charles eating a crumpet.

Vladimir Putin, Barack Obama and Prince Charles. REUTERS photos

Comments

Prince Charles looks more like a princess.

Posted by some macho american studly guy | Report as abusive

Thanks, Studly, but you need to cast a vote. The results of this competition are going to be big news.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I vote for Rambo Putin!

Posted by CAM | Report as abusive

Well, in that picture, if you replace Putin’s rifle with a weed wacker, he looks like my neighbor. My neighbor is an a55**le so I’ll say Obama.

Posted by some Macho American Studly guy | Report as abusive

Putin’s the winner, hands down!

Posted by PMV | Report as abusive

My vote is for Prince Charles. A man who can wear a skirt and sit like that has to be secure in his manhood, right? Not to mention the fact that the blue of his stockings really brings out the color of his eyes….

Posted by K | Report as abusive

Thanks, K! The first vote for Charles. This could be a trend in the early voting results.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I vote for Obama, coolest man on the planet.

Posted by barbara basler | Report as abusive

Vote for Putin. The only time you can vote for him and it will actually count. Putin will make the ladies pouting after putting on his shades.

I have to vote for Putin. Obama’s mom jeans balance out his ability to wear sunglasses, which places him in a close second.

Posted by Mary K | Report as abusive

Have to vote Putin — although Charles DOES get a feather in his cap (actually…two, apparently) for inventing a whole new way to hold the cane (how many people can make THAT accessory look feminine??). Obama needs to learn to match his shoes with his jacket. I mean, the British monarchy has the Royal Caretaker of the Royal Left Sock — can’t we get a color-coordinator for our Commander in Chief?

Posted by CillaJ | Report as abusive

Scary prize definitely goes to Putin. But for pure cool, Obama’s got my vote.

Posted by Sarah E | Report as abusive

I’ll stick with the President for the cool factor. In fact, I found a pic on Flickr of him and Rahm Emanuel looking rather GQ while in Egypt:http://www.flickr.com/photos/white house/3611569382/in/set-7215761942198063 3/

Posted by Krista | Report as abusive

My vote goes for Prince Charles.. hat looks really good and I’ve never seen a kilt on a man looking this good before. better than Mel Gibson’s.. and he’s not even trying to look cool… very shy in the second picture.. “eh heh I forgot my feather hat today, silly billy!”

Posted by caglar | Report as abusive

Krista, Krista, Krista… It’s always about Rahm, isn’t it?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Charles’ got my vote. You have got to admire his ability to wear feathers, skirts and long, wavy hair and still be princely!

Posted by M | Report as abusive

I think Putin is scary, Charles looks fairy and Obama is the MAN!!

Posted by Italofrog | Report as abusive

I vote for Rambo Putin! … What’s that? Only 1 vote per person? That’s not how it works in Russia.

Posted by CAM | Report as abusive

I vote for Obamainski. He’s kewl.

Posted by V Putin | Report as abusive

To be fair, we need to see all shirtless (even if it’s not pretty). However, in sunglasses, it’s a tie between Obama and Rootin’ Tootin’ Vladimir Putin

Posted by babyoscar | Report as abusive

I wish I could say Obama, but I think Putin with the GQ hand-tooling of the rims wins for me. See what Sarah Palin started with her specs?

Obama all the way. To quote Will Smith in ‘Men in Black’ – he makes this look GOOD!Putin would have made it, if he kept his shirt on. I like my politicians clothed.Charles just disturbs me.

Real Men Wear Kilts!

Posted by Aaron | Report as abusive

Go kilts Go! Prince Charles all the way!

Posted by Melissa | Report as abusive

Easily Prince Charles. He is man enough to wear the kilt, and regularly too.

Posted by ALAN CAIG | Report as abusive

Definitely Obama, he’s the coolest of them all, Obama rocks!!!

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

Wow, Putin or Obama? I can’t imagine Obama pinning me up against a wall, but I sure can imagine Putin !

Posted by Yve | Report as abusive

Charles has my vote. Folks are talking about the feathers. That’s part of the regalia for the order of the Garter knights, the oldest order of chivalry in the world. And it takes a real man to wear a kilt.

Posted by MarkB | Report as abusive

Seriously, any man with the legs for a kilt, and the nerve to wear it in public, wins, no doubt about it. Go Charles!

Posted by Beth | Report as abusive

erm….rock and a hard place – can I vote for George Clooney?

Posted by Chantelle | Report as abusive

Chantelle, only if Clooney is the head of some country I’m not aware of….

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Well Bob,I do believe that Clooney intends to one day purchase a remote island somewhere, and found upon it a new republic that, along with the U.S. state and the Eurasian country, will be called Georgia.However, we have already seen Clooney standing behind Barack Obama. A futile gesture, to say the least, for Prince Charles is, beyond doubt, cooler than even the coolest combination of the other two.

Posted by Aaron | Report as abusive

Cruel, cruel juxtaposition for the man who would be king (if Mummy ever allows him!) As always, extremely humorous, Blog Guy.

Posted by Quentin | Report as abusive