Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

You’ve reached the firm of Ponce, Bonache and Gotcha!

September 6, 2009

Blog Guy, do you stand behind the info in your photo captions? Is there a chance anybody ever pulls a fast one on you?

We do our best to check information, but my own personal suspicion is that sometimes people in Spain are having a laugh at my expense.

Can you give some examples?

Well, for instance, every so often we have photos of a bullfighter named Enrique Ponce. Get it? PONCE?

Look at this guy’s sissy outfit, then look up “ponce” in the dictionary. In British slang, it means “a pimp” or a “campily effeminate male.”

Wow! You guys got taken! Give me another example!

Okay, look at these Barcelona fashion photos from this past week.

The models are in so-called “creations” showing their bare headlights – you know, their bongos. I had to censor the photos to keep readers from going blind. Now look at the name of the so-called collection: Bonache.

Ulp! Wouldn’t that be pronounced BONE-ACHE?

I think so. Do you think this is really the “Bone-Ache Collection of Hooter-Flashing Fashion Creations?” I think it’s safe to say somebody in Spain has it in for me.

Above: Spanish bullfighter Enrique Ponce adjusts his montera before a bullfight in Seville, April 28, 2009. REUTERS/Marcelo del Pozo

Richt: Models present creations from the Cardona Bonache collection at the 080 Barcelona fashion show, September 3, 2009. REUTERS/Albert Gea

Comments

Oh, Ponce is a famous Spanish bullfighter/toreador (torero) and to tell the truth every bullfighter looks like a mixture of warrior/ballet dancer. If we are talking about beauty stereotypes, one of these must be slim, attractive and vulnerable.
I didn´t know the slang word, by the way.
With reference to the Fashion collection in Barcelona created by Cardona Bonache, I can just tell you that the word Bonache is a popular surname here in the South, in Murcia. In fact there is a famous meat cake made in a pastry shop called BONACHE. The sound of “bonache” in Spanish is not as bone ache, kind of suffering rheuma, but ache is similar to the ending of “garage” but with a ch Spanish sound and we mark the final e as an “e”.
Kind regards, Mr. Basler

armstrong.freelance

Hey, thanks for commenting. I know all these things, but it’s funnier my way.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Could you put bars over their faces so we don’t have to see that idiotic excuse for make-up?

Posted by some guy | Report as abusive

Ha ha I know that you knew but I felt myself obliged to explain it, just to give an opinion.
I know you love the world of bulls and bullfighting.
Some of my post photos on sanfermines (Pamplona) are taken from your blog.
By the way, your way is funnier, anyway
Best regards!
armstrong.freelance

Some guy, I’m getting confused. Do you want me to just move the existing bars away from their chest and cover their face, or do you want TWO bars on each model?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Robert, I think there’s something wrong with your camera. It’s putting these strange white boxes over top of the pictures.

You should look into that before a picture of Charles gets obscured. ;)

Posted by JD | Report as abusive

JD – it is Putin who appears topless in Rob’s collection, not Charles. Charles is ‘da man!

Posted by Mike | Report as abusive

I think that JD just called Charles a boob.

Posted by Aaron | Report as abusive

I’m sorry, but I must point out at this time that I will be calling my lawyer and telling him to proceed with a sexual discrimination lawsuit against you, your company and bloggers in general. I have noted that on numerous occasions, you have published photos of Putin – shirtless and flopping in the wind. Neither you nor your camera have bothered to insert that annoying white block across his chest, in the general area of his man-gazongas. I hereby demand that you either re-publish all photos of him and all other shirtless men in the same censored condition, or remove that annoying block from all the lovely ladies pictures and re-publish their photos. This does not apply to Prince Charles as he should be blocked all the time – preferably with the block moved up to his face.

Posted by Lonnie | Report as abusive

Lonnie, Lonnie… Considering how many times I’ve used your name in my blog, surely THAT’S what you should sue me for!

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Robert, if I may suggest, I agree with “some guy”, but I believe aesthetics would be better served by having one white band over Enrique Ponce’s face. A brave and fine torero he is, no doubt, but just to make sure you’re not liable to Lonnie’s lawsuits! just a tought!

Posted by M | Report as abusive