Kabul-Capades, coming your way!

September 9, 2009

Blog Guy, I read about a vocational training program for Afghan citizens. It sounds so strange I don’t even want to repeat it here…

I suspect you mean the Kabul-Capades, an ice skating extravaganza the U.S. is putting together so Afghanis will have real jobs after the war. As you can see, the basics of a good routine are being taught even before they put on skates.

How many new Afghan ice spectaculars does the U.S. think the world needs?

It isn’t JUST ice skating, silly! There’s a bluegrass music troupe called the Tali-Banjos. And the likely loser in the recent Afghan election will tour as Abdullah Abdullah’s Juggler Jugglers….

Hmmm. That does sound good. Can I buy a season ticket to get me into ALL the shows?

Sure. It’s called the…

No! Wait!

Too late. It’s called the Khyber Pass…

Left: Skaters perform in a 1998 file photo. REUTERS/Andy Clark

Right: A U.S Marine searches an Afghan man for weapons near the town of Khan Neshin in Rig district of Helmand province, September 8, 2009. REUTERS/ Goran Tomasevic

Blog Guy, you’re an odd fellow, but I like you.

Where do they put the rink in a place like Afghanistan?

Odd fellow? I’m crushed!

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Perhaps they could call the skating troop “The Afgan Folly’s”??

Posted by craig | Report as abusive

Oh no Blog Guy, you have me all wrong. In the land Down Under, that’s a term of affection, endearment even.

*shifty look*

Uh yeah, it is. Any Aussie will tell you.

Okay, Miss Random, but you’d better be telling the truth, because according to the Facebook networked blog folks, Australia is the third biggest audience for my blogs, after New York City and Washington DC.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Hey! I resent your implications there! I’m a lawyer, and you KNOW that that’s a profession that is known for it predeliction for truth and honesty.

oddly enough, their is a street hockey rink in Kandahar

Posted by Geb | Report as abusive

The Afghan guy seems to be enjoying the attentions..

By the way, Mr.Basler, you havent made good on the promise of 3 blogs in a day…. what do you have to say of that? We can get Little Miss Random to prosecute you on Breach of Promise? Cant we?

I thought yesterday’s Extreme Monthly item was so good, it counted as two items.

There will be three new ones today, but they’ll all be just pretty much the usual crap. Keep watching, the show will begin momentarily.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I’m glad you clarified this is the preparation routine for the Kabul-capades. After your post of last month on the Korean special forces I have had this thing about the military in some compromising positions, and I don’t necessarily mean tactical or strategic!!

Posted by M | Report as abusive