Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

The head is loose! I get the goose!

September 11, 2009

As an amateur anthropologist, I’ve spent years studying leisure activities in unfortunate parts of the world where – okay let’s be blunt – they don’t get American cable television.

I’ve found that this lack leads local cultures to settle for pitiful pastimes, like singing dingos and sofa races.  But nowhere are the ravages of TV deprivation as pathetic as they are in a place I like to call Spain.

Look at these genuine photos from this week. Competitors attempt to tear the head off of a killed goose. The winner gets the goose.

I swear, I am not making up this goose thing.

“Lonnie! Leggo of that goose head! Our New York cousin sent us some tapes!

Look! Here’s Dog the Bounty Hunter, Pimp my Ride, Ice Road Truckers,“  “Californication.” All kinds of quality stuff! Come on, Lonnie!”

“That’s okay, Ma! You watch it! I’ve just about got this goose head off, and then I’m heading for the bullfights!”

“Oh my poor Lonnie, I worry so about you. You’ll ALWAYS be a Spaniard!”

A competitor attempts to tear off the head of a killed goose attached to a rope, which is repeatedly raised and lowered into the harbor, during fiestas in the Basque fishing town of Lekeitio September 6, 2009. REUTERS/Vincent West

Comments

Those Basques are so weird, I’m surprised Spain won’t just let them go.

Posted by T | Report as abusive

Now hold on just a minute . . . I am interested in learning more about the mechanics of this sport. Are the participants strung out over the harbor while holding on to the goose and then dunked repeatedly? Or do they swim out into the harbor and then jump up out of the water to grab the goose–an incredible feat seeing as how they still have their shoes on!

Posted by Aaron | Report as abusive

Aaron? The mechanics of this sport? There’s a goose. It has a head. You pull it off. Those are the fricking mechanics!

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

My favorite part of all of this has been in watching how the “Pearl poster’s” name keeps changing…

Posted by Michele | Report as abusive

I agree with aaron. Exactly how is this done? Screw ice road truckers and Dog the Bounty Hunters, I hope to see this on my cable TV. This is something I wanna watch. But then I am easily amused by people and their goofy pasttimes. Especially after I’ve had a few.

Posted by Guy | Report as abusive

I miss Chad.

Posted by Catherine Zeta-Jones | Report as abusive

Oh great, now I’ve learned something from this blog again . . .

Posted by Aaron | Report as abusive

I’m so sorry, Aaron. I try to keep the bar very low, but now and then it creeps up. Try reading the item I just posted about Sylvester Stallone’s bathroom – I promise you’ll learn absolutely nothing.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive