Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Them flip-flops ain’t makin’ it, honey!

September 21, 2009

Over there in Britain, some unions have set off a heated debate by demanding that women have the right to wear comfortable shoes in the workplace.

Guys, in case you’re total morons, “comfortable” is a code word for ugly.

My first reaction to this was fine, there’s no job where a woman really needs to wear stiletto heels, but after doing some research in our photo archive, I found quite a few.

It turns out you need high heels for farming, riding a motorcycle, running for vice-president and working in a car wash, just to name a few, and that’s not even to mention how much you need them if your job is being Jennifer Aniston.

Also, a group of foot doctors has muddied the waters by saying that wearing high heels can cause blisters, corns, calluses, foot, knee and back pain. Well, boo hoo! Speaking for Jennifer Aniston, I can live with that.

Actress Jennifer Aniston poses at the premiere of her new film “Love Happens” in Los Angeles September 15, 2009.  REUTERS/ Fred Prouser

Assorted other heel shots. REUTERS photos

Comments

Just love the shoes in the second shot… you have any more shots of shoes???

Yes, but this isn’t that kind of a blog…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

How about more shots of car washing?

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

“Well, boo hoo! Speaking for Jennifer Aniston, I can live with that.”That’s my favourite part.

Posted by Little Miss Random | Report as abusive

According to Harper’s Index, the average increase in the protrusion of a woman’s buttocks when she wears high heels is 25%.

Posted by Enlightened Despot | Report as abusive

Like to see them clean stalls with those shoes on!

Posted by Susan Southard | Report as abusive

Since before we even got married, my husband has demanded that I wear heels no less than 3 1/2 inches high more or less all the time when I’m up and about. It’s been more than 15 years and I can honestly say that I am more comfy in heels than I am barefoot or in flats. So far I haven’t had any foot problems because of it but maybe it’s because I have always had shoes that fit me.

Wow. I didn’t know husbands could make rules like that. Nobooy tells me anything.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Mmmm. Delia I happen to love seeing women in heels. If you are right then women need to get heels that fit and then their feet wouldn’t hurt. What size do you wear Delia?

Posted by Geoff | Report as abusive