Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

I didn’t prepare ya for Bavaria?

October 6, 2009

Blog Guy? I read about Oktoberfest in your blog and went to the bar you suggested, and now I wanna die!

Really? What did you order?

Hold your voice down. I’ve never had a headache this bad. I ordered “Bavarian Shooters.” My ears are still ringing. I inhaled so much black smoke…

Uh, you DID make clear you wanted a beverage, right?

Apparently not. There were SIXTY of them. I don’t think I’m gonna make it.

Look, go back to that bar, tell ‘em I sent you, and ask for some “hair of the dog.” Can you remember that?

Sigh. You’re sure nothing can go wrong?

What have you got to lose? Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Around 60 shooters in traditional Bavarian clothes fire off salutes during a last day ceremony at Munich’s 176th Oktoberfest October 4, 2009.

A German police officer and her bomb-sniffing dog search through an Oktoberfest tent during the early morning hours in Munich September 30, 2009.

REUTERS photos by Michaela Rehle

Comments

Ahhhh….. I love shooters…. the alcoholic ones actually… Dont really like the humans of that kind though… :P :P

Wait a minute, where’s the chick with the big mugs? How can you leave her out of an Octoberfest story? I’m so disappointed in you, Bob …

Posted by Beth | Report as abusive

I remember now why I stopped checking Oddly Enough out awhile back(a year or two ago…) This blog style thing that’s been in place just stinks. No real information, combined with a ‘humorous’ dialogue(that isn’t funny) just doesn’t cut it. Bring back the old Oddly Enough. You know, when there was actual informative stories about strange things around the world? This blog stuff just has to go…

Posted by Brenden | Report as abusive

Brenden, there is nothing to bring back, because nothing went away. We still offer both the Oddly Enough Blog, which obviously you’ve found, and the Oddly Enough news channel, which is where it always was: http://www.reuters.com/news/oddlyEnough. So now you should be pretty darned happy, right?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I’d just like to say I enjoy *both* the blog and the “regular” Oddly Enough news. :)

Posted by Jason | Report as abusive

So Bob, when it comes to making people pretty damned happy, are you taking requests now?Anyway, it looks like that dog is detecting a bomb in the spigot of that barrel. Either someone needs to fire the trainer or the trainer missed her calling. Either way, do you have any pictures of the dog after the spigot inspection?

@bandage, I believe the problem is what the trainer smelled like when training the dog… you see, it IS Bavaria, it IS Oktoberfest country…Oh, and @Brenden, I suggest you get stronger reading glasses or pay attention to the titles of what you read: there is a column on the left-hand side of your screen that indicates where you can get the Oddly Enough news. You’d would have thought that by now people would be used to reading to try and understand what it is they read!!

Posted by M | Report as abusive

My apologies. Sorry, I was having a bad day, and I took it out on the blogger. While it is true that I dislike blogs, I suppose I was a bit harsh. Thank you for the information.

Posted by Brenden | Report as abusive

So I understand the guy on the right holding hise ear – but what is the guy next to him holding….and why?

Posted by John | Report as abusive

Amazing observaation skills, John!!! :P

@John: don’t know, don’t ask, I’m sure you don’t really want to know.

Posted by M | Report as abusive

John Lennon said “Happiness is a warm gun..”

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

Good thing you didn’t order “Bavarian Hooters” or they might have showed up with air horns.