Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Just 24 beers? How about two dozen, instead?

October 7, 2009

I’m sorry sir, but you can’t drive that tow-truck full of beer onto the motor racing grounds, I’m afraid. It’s over the posted limit.

Limit? Limit? But it’s BEER!

I understand, sir, but this year, racing fans coming to the Bathurst 1000 will be limited to only 24 cans of beer a day. We don’t want folks getting drunk.

Just 24 cans? What am I supposed to do after lunch? Can I bring in wine?

Yes, four liters a day, INSTEAD of beer.

Four liters of wine? I go through that much at Communion! What about low-alcohol beer?

You may have 36 cans of that per day, sir!

Woo-hoo! Thirty-six cans! I beat the system! Out of the way, loser, I’m comin’ in!

You’re plastered already, aren’t you, sir?

Of course not! Say, can I bring in some wine?

Be a hero! Join the Oddly Enough blog network

A forklift with a pallet of beer is seen at the Fosters Group brewery in Melbourne November 20, 2008. REUTERS/Mick Tsikas

Kangaroo grabs can of beer held by Kathy Noble as she stands behind bar at the 127-year-old Comet Inn in township of Hartley Vale, Australia, in a 2005 file photo. REUTERS/David Gray

Comments

OMG, next thing you know they’ll be saying no more than a carton of cigarettes per day (well,I suppose it would be a carton and a half if they’re ultra-lights). It’s time to start a movement to get government out of our death-marches!

There are thousands of Aussies whose annual pilgrimage to Bathurst this year will be just that little bit less fun because of this bureaucratic interference.Meanwhile, Kathy Noble was later arrested on charges of animal cruelty as a result of that picture…

Seriously? For not giving the kangaroo enough beer, or what?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Actually, I’ve got nothing to back that up. But there is a long and proud history of arrests relating to providing alcohol to animals in this country.I’m so proud to call Australia home.

Miss Random, being very careful not to offer a home address, tell us what part of Australia you call home. You’re not from Queensland, are you?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

How did you know?

What’s wrong in being from Queensland, Bob?

What street in Queensland?

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

At American baseball games they ration beer by the price. At Yankee Stadium, they give you a 24 ounce waxed paper cup of Heineken for $12.50. Twelve of those- a standard US case of beer- would cost $130.00. Ouch.

Posted by David | Report as abusive

Um, Bill … Queensland is a pretty big place. You basically just asked me which street in Texas I live in.

Plus, Bill, there’s only one damned paved street in Queensland anyway!

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

It’s bitumen Bob, not ‘paved’. And it runs all the way from the top of the state to the bottom, so it’s no wonder it’s the only one.Who needs streets when you’ve got beautiful weather all year round? And the best beaches in the world?

So now you live in Texas?

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

*sigh*Yes Bill. On George W. Bush Drive.

The only building on George Bush Drive is the Presidential Library named for George W. Bush, the 41st Americn resident.Do not borrow any books as this is not a lending library.

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

The 41st American resident? My mind is playing tricks on me – I would have guessed higher.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Seriously, what’s wrong with Queensland?

Seriously, it is in Texas so most of the residents there have been Mexican.

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

In an earlier comment I meant to say the “41st American resident”Are we being graded on a curve?Will someone tell Shra what is wrong with Queensland. I’ve heard nothing bad about Queensland other than it’s surrounded by Australia.

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Queensland. I think we were mixing it up with Queens.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive