Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Heil be Gnome for Christmas…

October 17, 2009

******Blog Guy, I was happy to see you’ve officially kicked off  the holiday shopping season with that serial killer merchandise******As long as you’re in the mood to offer tips, what should I get for my nephew? He’s into gardening and Nazi politics? Any ideas?******You bet. try this place in Germany that seems to specialize in outdoor Hitler garden stuff. Does your nephew already have a garden gnome giving a Hitler salute?******Hmmm. I don’t believe so.  What a wonderful holiday idea. Do they sell these Hitler gnomes lots of places?******No, Führer and Führer these days…***

***

****** Plastic garden dwarves with their arms outstretched in the stiff-armed Hitler salute, are pictured on the main square in Straubing, Germany, as part of the art installation ‘Dance with the Devil’ by German artist Ottmar Hoerl October 15, 2009. REUTERS/Michael Dalder***

Comments

Do you honestly believe that was the intention when the casting of these molds were made? A Nazi salute? MAYBE the little gnome is waving hello or caution or stop? Did you ever think about that? Why is it most people will choose to see the negative side of things first before the positive.Is the gnome wearing a swastika arm band? No. Does he have the SS symbols on his collar or lapel? No.This is an innocent statue being recognized and publicized as one of the most infamous in politics.Shame on you…

Posted by i,robert | Report as abusive

OMG! That’s so bad it makes me want to hoerl.

Posted by some guy | Report as abusive

@i,robert: I think he talks about them being Nazi statues … because they actually are! Did you bother to read the photo caption or look up information on the artist?

Posted by JD | Report as abusive

Look up the article, these gnomes were made by an artist to point a satirical finger at some of the facist aspects that still exist in the German Government. Maybe you should do your homework before you rip into a blogger just trying to share a small current event.

Posted by just me | Report as abusive

….shortly after this photo was taken, Carl was kicked out of the Ninja Gnome Academy…

Posted by K | Report as abusive

my bad. Yep! you’re right. the link to the website doesn’t work on my work computer (they do that here) so I didn’t read that.Well then, I change my attitude to that then. What a weirdo making nazi-gnomes!

Posted by i,robert | Report as abusive

But the beard is all wrong??? And what’s up with a gold leaf Hitler Gnome? As a side note, the S.O. thinks my garden gnomes are creepy and makes them all stand backs outward as if they were having a time out…

There was a story of a fisherman from the Figi Islands who was stabbed by swordfish. There is some relation to the gnome involved in the story but I am not too sure how it goes.

Posted by Ed Circusitch | Report as abusive

Well, it certainly does not improve the look of the square. In fact, it looks like heil.

Posted by some guy | Report as abusive

lol, BAD puns not needed!

Posted by happyoutkast | Report as abusive

Y is one golden and the others black?

They could only afford enough gold leaf to do one. The black ones are just plain plastic.

Posted by gwmc | Report as abusive

Yes, Shra. That is the question!

Posted by Mike | Report as abusive