Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Shcuse me…is thish the shtable?

November 2, 2009

Lamar, the big race starts in less than an hour! Where are the jockeys?

They’re coming, Boss!

Are they ready? Did they prepare for the race?

You betcha, Boss! They spent all night drinking!

That’s good. Drinking alcohol?

Of COURSE alcohol, Boss! What ELSE would you drink before the big race?

Just checkin’, Lamar. And did they wear themselves out?

For sure! They danced non-stop. Can’t even keep their eyes open!

Ah, there they are now, Lamar! I can see ‘em trying to find the stable…

It’s a grand sight, isn’t it, Lamar! On a morning like this, with the sun comin’ up over the puke-filled mud and the jockeys staggerin’ this way in their finery, if you squint just a bit you’d think you’re at the Royal Ascot Races.

Be better than other people. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Tweat yourself to this blog on Twitter at rbasler

Riders finish a night of drinking alcohol and dancing before a traditional horse race on All Saints Day in Todos Santos, Guatemala, November 1, 2009. REUTERS/Daniel LeClair

Comments

So Bob, I take it that drnking and dancing in Guatemaia causes the jockeys there to start speaking in slurred English, is that what you are telling us?

Posted by Bob | Report as abusive

Well now that you mention it, I guess that’s how it works. Pretty darn weird, huh?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I thought people went to the Royal Ascot races to see women’s hats… dont tell me they actually have HORSES racing there????

Clearly they subscribe to the Irish school of driving.

Posted by Little Miss Random | Report as abusive

Well lookee here, this derby was made in Kentucky!

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

Who said anything about HORSES racing, Shra? We’re talking about jockeys drinking! C’mon, focus!

Posted by Jimmy | Report as abusive

Wait a second here. Is this a sneaky way for Blog Guy to post more pictures of the “White Hat” conspiracy? I think the hat in the hands of the guy in front was probably white when the evening started, and there are a couple more white hats in the background.

I’m even more interested in the drunk lying down – hands are on this side of the body, feet are facing the other way. Or is that a zombie?

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

Astute observation, Dave… Are you taking any medication?
Jimmy, I am focussing…. at least I think I am…

Hey Shra, let’s be more sensitive here. It’s naturally assumed that all of my readers are on some kind of medication. Maybe lots of it.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I couldn’t agree more with you, Dave… it’s obviously more of the white hat conspiracy!

The only bit I’m missing, though, is the part where the death panels come in… perhaps it’s just time for my next dose of medication… Nurse!!

Posted by M | Report as abusive