Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

A very sobering experience?

November 13, 2009

On the topic of life imitating art, this guy in the bottom photo is straight out of one of my favorite short stories. I’ll be pretty impressed if any readers can identify it.

But enough of that. I hate to admit it, but I guess I just don’t get out enough.

We have a series of photos from something called a “sobering-up station,” which apparently they used to have a lot of over in Russia but now they don’t have so many because money is tight.

I’m not clear whether we have anything like those here, other than what we call our “homes,” unless you count the “drunk tank” at the jail. I suppose this Russian thing must be in-between those two extremes.

This particular “sobering-up station” is in Stavropol, which is the sister city of our own Des Moines, Iowa. I’m tempted to ask how drunk you have to be to need a sobering-up station, but I guess I already know the answer to that from the tattoos.

“Hi sweetie, I’m home! Yeah, I spent the night at the sobering-up station next door. Sorry I didn’t call, but I couldn’t remember what a telephone was.

“And by the way honey, you’re not even gonna BELIEVE what I found on my back this morning!”

Sobering up slideshow

A sobering-up station in Russia’s southern city of Stavropol, November 12, 2009. Many of Moscow’s sobering-up stations, of which there were plenty in the days of the Soviet regime, have been closed due to lack of money. REUTERS/ Eduard Korniyenko

Comments

Perhaps what is sobering about the whole experience is the fact this guy was a radical muslim when he got there last night!!!

Posted by M | Report as abusive

The Illustrated Man?

Posted by Karen | Report as abusive

Good morning, Bob,
Just curious, but was the short story by Roald Dahl, in a book of his stories, “Someone Like You”? I don’t remember the name of the story, but to capsulize it, it was about a man covered with tatoos that had originally been done for him by an artist who later became famous. Of course, his skin is a valuable “piece of art” and he is murdered for his skin, which ends up hanging in an art gallery. Is this the story you are thinking of?

Or maybe he doesnt rememberbeing tattoed at all..?

No, not Bradbury or Dahl, but those are great guesses.

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

“Parker’s Back” by Flannery O’Connor.

Posted by Brian | Report as abusive

We have a winner! Congrats. The similarity is incredible…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

I saw where Shra mentioned she needs to ease off on the meds so she could sober up some. Were you looking to spend some time with the tattooed man?

Posted by Dave | Report as abusive

I would sober up…. but alone!!!!! or at least with better looking top less models… the fab abs guy would do… ;)

Look, it’s my future husband!

Posted by Little Miss Random | Report as abusive

You’re gonna marry Jesus?

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

Emergency!! Call an ambulance!! 900 or whatever number works in your contry!!
LMR needs help!! NOW!!!

He heard the saying “Your body is a temple” so he’s trying to make himself look like a stained glass window.

Posted by some guy | Report as abusive

What makes you think I’m not already married to Jesus Bill? What makes you think I’m NOT Jesus?

And Shra, it’s 000. I know, because that’s the number I ring when I run out of medication and I need to go to the crazy hospital for more.

Posted by Little Miss Random | Report as abusive

If you were married to Jesus you probably would not be looking for a “future husband.”
If you were Jesus, well I can see the attraction to someone who loves you enough to have your picture tattooed to that someone.

Now, get back under the desk in the foetal position until the Blog guy sends your meds.

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive

Actually, I’ve emerged from under the desk and am sitting at it relatively normally. I do snatch up my phone wielding it as a primitive club like weapon whenever anyone attempts to enter my office, just in case.

Posted by Little Miss Random | Report as abusive

You have your own office?? Woah!! People trust yoou enough to giv you your own office even when you are a regular at Mt.Isa? They just gave me a desk… and I am soooooooo NORMAL!

We’re all proud of you!
Just don’t be jumpy when the telephone rings.

Posted by Bill | Report as abusive