Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Wine angels: wenches on winches?

December 1, 2009

Blog Guy, many college seniors depend on you for career advice. Are there any new opportunities out there? I am a woman with a creative writing major. I enjoy swinging from ropes and being around alcoholic beverages. Any advice?

Yes. Look into the exciting field of “wine angelry.” Apparently some hotels and restaurants are now storing their huge wine collections vertically, several stories high, and “wine angels” are sent up to retrieve bottles that are ordered, to entertain diners.

What kind of system raises and lowers these angels?

It’s a series of tubes.

I thought that was the Internet.

Oh, right. Well, it looks like hooks and ropes and pulleys and stuff to get them UP. The trip down is much simpler. And faster.

Would I have to say anything?

Just the odd phrase like, “Table four, think fast!”

Do you know anything else about this job?

Only that if they’d had it 50 years ago it would have made one hell of a frickin’ great “I Love Lucy” episode.

A so-called ‘wine angel’  is suspended by steel ropes and lifted up by a motorized winch as she places bottles of wine in a wine storage tower in the lobby of the Radisson Blu Hotel at Zurich airport November 17, 2009. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann

Comments

Blog Guy,What wine goes well with doughnuts? I need another one.

Posted by CAM | Report as abusive

Good question, CAM. I normally enjoy my doughnuts with single malt scotch, but I suppose you could have wine instead. As far as what’s the best one, since doughnuts come in a box, the wine should, too…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Cam and Mr Robbie,I do believe that what you are looking for is that special beer brought to us by Samuel Adams, called a Utopia Beer.For around $190, it comes in a special copper and glass bottle.It is around 25% alcohol, also.Yes, I did say around $190. For a single beer.I think that if I was to buy this bottle of beer at $190, anything would go perfectly with the beer!At this price, what couldn’t be forced down the gullet?Naturally, the price will vary. Around $190 seems to be the average price right now.

Posted by tim | Report as abusive

Tim,Thanks. A $190 beer might go well with one of those tasty $100 Xanax doughnuts I get over at the museum.Bob … I drink all my wine from (very nice) paper bags. :-)

Posted by CAM | Report as abusive

Blog guy, could we get a better shot of those boots? I think they’re cute … we need more shoes!

Posted by Beth | Report as abusive

To be fair, the Sam Adams Utopias is in a 750mL bottle and has 26% abv.

Posted by Karen Ryan | Report as abusive