Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Now, a toast to the martyrs!

December 17, 2009

WC

Yo Blog Guy, we had our office holiday party last night and some of the folks got SO hammered!

That’s just pathetic. There’s a reason why binge drinkers are reviled. Boozers, guzzlers, drunken buttheads, lush-faced rum-suckers, martyrs, winos, souses, sots….

Excuse me, did you say MARTYRS?

OLYMPICS/Yeah, that’s a term they sometimes use for them in China. There was this police officer over there who went to a banquet, drank himself silly, then barfed and passed out on a couch, where he suffocated.

And then what happened?

The guy’s captain tried to declare him a martyr.

Hmmmm.  I always thought there was more to martyrdom than that.

Apparently binge drinking is so serious in China that in one city, workplace injury regulations were recently amended to classify deaths caused by drinking as “workplace accidents.”

Thanks for the lesson, Blog Guy, Well, I’m off now to martyr myself for the cause.

Don’t touch that, you don’t know where it’s been! Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Top: A bottle of “five grain” liquor is displayed in Beijing in a 2004 file photo. REUTERS/China Photos

Left: A woman vomits out onto a road from a taxi in central Beijing in a 2008 file photo. REUTERS/Russell Boyce

Comments

Martyrdom in the cause of what exactly ?!

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

My guess would have to be happy hour…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

You’d have to get me pretty drunk to martyr myself for happy hour…

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

Is that like a challenge or something?

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Is that a woman or something else “puking” from a taxi???
And yeah… I am aint martyring myself for anything… I am too old to die..

Tim, I think that would be “Boast about the roast in the toast on the coast”. And I do agree Georgette has mental problems. Just get her started on your own meds and I’m sure it’ll all go away fairly soon.

Robert, LMR, you are starting to make this as steamy as the french girls’ cabins in the slopes. I suggest you take it private, in case there are any minors reading thsi blog (Yeah, right!!!)

Posted by 1M1 | Report as abusive

Is it coincidence that this post comes on the day of our office Christmas party?

I promise I shall behave myself.

;)

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I am not drinking yet… anyone got any vodka?

How about a toast on the coast to BG for keeping us entertained thoroughly all through the year??
Cheers to you, mate!!! Cheers to all of us!!

Hey thanks, Shra, but let’s avoid sloppy sentimentality until next week. Meanwhile, I’m about to post one I really like. If you do too, please share it with other…

Posted by Robert Basler | Report as abusive

Share it with other what RB?

Other medicated drooling giggling fun-loving Oddities?

:D

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Yes, he meant our kind, E…

I thought there we enough of us in this blog already, but then again my counting skills have been a bit blurred since I started these news meds… I mean, us drooling, giggling, meddie-filled, oddities.

Posted by 1M1 | Report as abusive

1M1, we should take pleasure in adding more of our kind here… right Bob?
But as far as the meds are concerned.. I dont think I need more people in here…. :)