Crazed grocery robot in lima bean bloodbath!

January 6, 2010

Hello Blog Guy, I am Susie, your personal robot. I will be assisting you in your grocery shopping today. What can I fetch for you?

Geez, Susie, you’re funny-looking.

robovie 490

You are no George Clooney your own self, Blog Guy….

Let’s look at my list here. Go to Produce and bring me some tomatoes and potatoes….

JAPAN/You say tomato, I say tomahto, you say potato, I say potahto….

Just do it quietly, Susie. I’m trying to listen to the Muzak. Now bring me a couple of huge t-bone steaks and a box of  chocolate doughnuts…

Here, instead I have brought you celery and tasteless tofu. It is time for your January diet, Lardbutt.

Sigh, okay. Bring me a big can of Del Monte lima beans. They’re on sale….  Hey! WTF is this? There’s a severed human hand attached to the beans!

It was the last can, Blog Guy. I had to take it from an elderly individual. Just act normal. BIG CLEAN-UP ON AISLE SIX, PLEASE…

Impress your friends. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

A robot named “Robovie-II”, developed by Japanese robotics research institution ATR, moves around at a grocery store during a shopping assisting experiment in Kyoto, Japan January 6, 2010. The robot greets the shopper at the entrance of the store, follows him to the shelves while holding a grocery basket and reminds him of the items on a shopping list, which the shopper enters beforehand in a special mobile device. REUTERS/Yuriko Nakao

Gee, my boyfriend does all that (and more!) a lot cheaper, and he’s MUCH better looking …

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Del Monte sell lima beans ?! They only do fruit in the UK.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Del Monte does indeed sell lima beans CrowGirl along with a vast array of other vegetable delights. Although I sure sales of lima beans are not what is keeping Del Monte in business here in America.

They and brussel sprouts should be outlawed.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

IFLY, Brussels sprouts and Barry Manilow are actually outlawed by the Geneva conventions on humane treatment of POWs and the like, as Robert has already clarified.

Lima beans, on the other hand, are on the short list of the WMD to be included in the renewed START negotiations, I believe.

Posted by 1M1 | Report as abusive

You know something.. its exactly things like these that make me like the Japanese sooooooo much…. they develop really bizzaare stuff…. first the engagement corset/bra… now this…. woah… what’s next… a robot who imitates BG???? Robot stealing meds???

That robot only works if you shop with a list right? Which I generally don’t. I probably should though huh? I always wonder why I come home with plenty of drink, but no food. It’s all starting to make sense to me now!

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

E, how could not buy food???? Are you turning into one of those VS models???

Shra, I appreciate the concern. When I say ‘drink’ I’m not talking fruit juice here. Although, technically could wine be considered fruit juice? :)

Anyway, I do eat food, plenty of it! But I have to stop this ‘picking something up on the way home from work’ thing. It’s pricey! A little planning couldn’t hurt right?

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

No robot is ever going to take my meds away!!!! Just you try it, I dare you!!!

Sorry, afternoon dose not in yet – aggressive impulses are ON!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH H!

Posted by 1M1 | Report as abusive

E, didnt mean fruit juice at all, girl!!!
Dontcha worry, 1M1, I am going to recruit a Japanese company to make me a robot that fights this med-stealing-pysch-attacking robot…. EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAA!

Robots are good for many things. My friend here in the US was programming one to assist elderly. I gave her a few phrases in a foreign language to test out with its voicebox.
1M1 this one carried the meds for you, it didn’t keep them from you.

Posted by PetPunkRock | Report as abusive

Thanks 1M1 for updating me on that info. Regrettably I missed RBs post where he divulged such information.

As far as classifying lima beans as WMDs, good luck trying to find them. People get very crafty at hiding them. Although if you see a large mound of mashed potatos, we probably should look under there.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

My main knowledge of Del Monte is an advert they had back in the 80′s where a bloke in a white suit turned up to some fruit growing village and decided if he would buy their oranges or not. The point was “The man from Del Monte, he say YES !” and they would all celebrate as he threw his hat in the air. I assume if he said no they all died of starvation, but it’s left me with an odd perception of the brand, especially in these days of fair trade and all…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Could some one tell me where I can find Del Monte in a placce which is currently known as the Isle of Wight?

Ooops.. I meant White… :P

Here in the states we have Del Monte products at the local Publix and a fairly huge selection of veggies, fruits and juices. What ya got over there across the pond?

Posted by monasmom | Report as abusive

Definitely dont see a Del Monte, monasmom…. Got Waitrose tho…. and Iceland!