Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

TV in other lands: don’t vouch for the couch…

January 11, 2010

Blog Guy, I guess I watch way too much junk television, because I don’t really know what’s going on with other cultures around the world.  Can  you answer a question for me?

Sigh. I was afraid this would happen once I got tagged as an educational blog. Sure, go ahead.

KOREA/

Do other cultures watch a lot of television, too? Is it pretty much the same custom everywhere? You know, sitting back on the couch with a drink and a big bowl of popcorn and not watching Jay Leno? Is it like that all over?

KOREA/No. As you can see here, in South Korea viewers lie on their stomachs or kneel and watch their favorite shows through holes in the floor. And the remote controls are longer, with handles and cranks on them.

That is very interesting. It does look quite different. But the whole family does gather around, right?

Of course, and in-between shows they are entertained by their dancing fish. It is truly fun for all ages.

So it’s like totally different from here?

Well no, the part about not watching Leno is the same everywhere…

People fish for trout through holes in a frozen river in Hwacheon, about 12 miles south of the demilitarized zone separating two Koreas, January 10, 2010. REUTERS/Lee Jae-Won

Comments

That is one he**uva headstand!!!
Are those hiking boots?? Could I see them in size 5 please? And brown would be a nice colour…. you know the dusty sand colour… yeah, that would be nice…

Hey I used to watch some movies like that !

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Um….I would go ice fishing back home but I don’t remember cramming my face into the ice like that!

Dancing fish…why do I feel it should be wearing shoes? High heeled ones…and sparkly…I mean if it’s gonna dance it might as well go all out eh?!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Seems like a very ineffcient way to hunt for the Red October.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Why are they lying on big pieces of jigsaw puzzle ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Anyang hasayau! (Actually, that’s probably grossly misspelt, but I wanted to show off.)

Actually, I think these are photos of the warm up for the ‘jigsaw event’ at this year’s Winter Olympics. You know how every Olympics, the host country gets to showcase a sport? This is it.

It involves the competitors lying on pieces of jigsaw, wiggling them around the ice attempting to get them into place, while catching fish. It’s going to be a real hit, I feel.

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

LMR, I got it! Hello. Took me a minute though, as I had to take a shot of liquid meds…

I dunno BG, Because of the location, maybe they are looking for NK infiltrators. Dancing fish? That’s a new one. Hey, now that we can ask questions and get educated (somewhat) answers, maybe you can tell us where else in the world we can find dancing fish?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

To be honest uncarastuas – I’m not sure where I was. BG seems to think I spent the week unconscious somewhere … he seems to know an awful lot. I

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

Welcome back LMR. I have been suspicious of Robert for a while now: he IS the one that came up with the White Hat conspiracy, he DOES know a lot about you, and you even confessed to having been kept locked away in a dark room by him. Something fishy going on here, just in time for the dancing fish.

Now all this talk about you attacking the pope, I have to say I don’t buy it for a minute. I know it would have been more your style to do something like the attack on Berlusconi, but then probably metal replicas of the sistine chapel are not necessarily big or heavy enough to deliver a nice, sharp blow.

See? There IS a reason for me to keep on calling the nurse! Time for my afternoon dose!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Curses – an Olympic sport I’d be willing to watch comes along just after my TV stops working. Not fair !

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive