Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

The crying game?

January 14, 2010

Blog Guy, recently you wrote about teargas tennis. I believe you said that was the most popular of all of the so-called Stupid Teargas Sports. Is that still the case?

PALESTINIAN-ISRAEL/

No, teargas handball has just overtaken teargas tennis in popularity. It’s a fast-action thrill ride unlike any other.

PALESTINIANS-ISRAEL/Wow, what do people like about it?

Well, you don’t need a lot of room for it. Since the longest teargas grenade lob on record is about four feet, you can play an entire game on a court the size of a sandbox.

How long does a typical game last?

Forty-five seconds, start to finish.

“Honey, I’ll be a minute late getting home tonight – it’s my teargas handball game.”

SPORT HANDBALL“A minute? Hang on, Lamar, what areĀ  you gonna do with the extra 15 seconds?”

“Don’t forget, I always puke in the parking lot after the game, dear.”

“Oh right. Well, I guess it’s better than doing it in the Lexus again, honey.”

Visit other planets. Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Top: A Palestinian tries to throw a teargas grenade back to Israeli troops during scuffles between Palestinians and Jewish settlers near the West Bank settlement of Halamish January 8, 2010. REUTERS/Baz Ratner

Middle: A Palestinian demonstrator uses a tennis racket to return an empty tear gas canister at Israeli soldiers during a protest against the controversial Israeli barrier in the West Bank village of Bilin near Ramallah, October 23, 2009. REUTERS/Yannis Behrakis

Bottom: Yugoslavian team coach comforts crying Dragon Skrbic after they lost their semi-final match of the Handball World Championship against Sweden in Paris, in a 2001 file photo.

Comments

This is just the post I needed after the Beaver pastries, the over-sized hummus serving and thinking of Mrs. reid and Bush!!!
Thank you Robert! Now I need about a week to be able to eat again!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Hey boss…catch!!!

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I thought it was Harry Reid, a guy…. Mrs. Reid, still a guy??? I am confused… maybe that teargas gas has gone to my head!!!
And I dont know anything about crying athletes… seeing how I have never won a game… physical sport that is… I always win at mind games…
M, have a beaver pastry.. :P

Hey Shra, I think that is the plural mr. I had to think about it.

Posted by T54 | Report as abusive

“Are those tears? Are you crying?? There is no crying in handball!!!!”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

E, I definitely like your way of thinking! You would fit right in on this organisation I work for.

Shra, it IS the plural for Mr. I couldn’t possibly be thinking about Reid’s wife!!! There aren’t enough meds in this world to get me into THAT state!! Flying pink elephants, talking rubber crabs, mailed goats I can take, but THAT!?!?!?!?!?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

I meant missus… sorry for confusing you T54, taken your meds yet?

justM, I feel for ya. If your boss is anything like mine then it’s no wonder you turn to Oddly Enough! (And I bet you’re on a high dose of meds too huh?

Of course, I won’t play this game of “catch” with my boss until *after* he pays me the money he owes me! It’s been three weeks…any tips? Anyone?

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Ahhh!!! Boss baiting!!! Lovely game!… Mind you its a physical game, so I may not give winning tips… but if you want to mentally torure him… then I am your gal!..

Still need tips…. Madame Shra is waiting for you…

Anti flu pills are meant to help with tear gas. Apparently.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I do need tips Shra, bring it on!!

My most recent attempt was letting him know that my heating is broken but I can’t afford to fix it. Think he got the hint? (Hello, I’m freezing at home…pay up dude!!). But noooooo he just said ‘enjoy your weekend’. (This was last week).

*sigh* I am at my wits end. I need all the help I can get!!

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Ooh!! He seems like a regular boss, alright…
i was about to give you a sob story, but you obviously have used it…. time to get physical…
Mess up his mail.. slash his car tyres, put a pin in his seat, so when he sits… well.. he wont be able to sit again for some time… obviously always diverting this mess to your most hated person in the office… but ofcourse, your hatred towards this other person needs to be justified… :)

Well, E, I guess you could try telepathy. If all else fails, you could perhaps threaten him with having him sit in a locked room for a week with (you pick):

a. Mr. Harry Reid

b. Mr. Thierry Henry

c. Mr. PAt Robertson

d. All of the above

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Shra, justM…great ideas! I go with all of the above. (And yes, there are more than a few I don’t like around here! It’s an office, there’s always someone eh?!)

The plot thickens…he paid me today what he owed me..oh yes…but instead of paying in cash like he promised, he ran it through payroll meaning I lost a quarter of it to taxes. :(

The audacity! I shall have to find a way to express my deep disappointment.

So I wonder when Harry, Thierry and Pat are all free for an evening? Will have to get right on it. RB, I promise I’ll take photos :D

E.