Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Joe Cool’s got another prom date…

January 28, 2010

Blog Guy, I am, how you say, studying English as second language…

WELCOME TO OUR COUNTRY, FOREIGN PERSON!

Thank you for shouting, that really helps. I wonder, can you explain this word, “pathetic?” I do not think I understand it.

lugner combo top 490

I’ll try. Look, there is this business tycoon in Austria, and he has so much money that every year he is able to invite a somewhat famous and reasonably good-looking female celebrity as his guest at the glitzy Vienna Opera Ball.

lugner glossy 220We’re talking the caliber of Paris Hilton here. This year, it’s Lindsay Lohan.

I see, and this is how you mean pathetic?

No. I’m not finished. Every year he actually meets the press to ANNOUNCE who his guest will be, and he and his wife or partner or girlfriend actually stand there showing PICTURES of the upcoming guest.

Ah. So this is example of  what you call pathetic?

Maybe, maybe not. But the fact that it’s treated as NEWS makes Vienna seem like a one-Lipizzaner town. That is, how we say in English, kinda PATHETIC.

lugner gf combo bottom 490

Top combo, REUTERS photos of Austrian businessman Richard Lugner with Farrah Fawcett, Andie McDowell, Paris Hilton, Pamela Anderson, Sophia Loren and Geri Halliwell.

Bottom, left to right: Austrian businessman Richard Lugner (L) and his girlfriend Anastasia Sokol pose with a photograph of U.S. actress Lindsay Lohan during a news conference in Vienna, January 20, 2010. Lugner announced Lohan to be his guest at this year’s traditional Vienna Opera Ball. REUTERS/Herwig Prammer

Austrian businessman Richard Lugner and his girlfriend Sonja Schoenanger hold up a posters with actress Nicollette Sheridan, January 28, 2009…. REUTERS/Heinz-Peter Bader

Austrian building tycoon Richard Lugner (R) and his partner Bettina Kofler pose with photographs of Dita von Teese , January 16, 2008…. REUTERS/Herbert Neubauer

Austrian building tycoon Richard Lugner and his wife Christina pose with a caricature depicting him with Paris Hilton, January 17, 2007. REUTERS/Heinz-Peter Bader

Comments

So, all the sex bombs are popular at the “traditional” Vienna opera, eh?

Dear Blog Guy,

I found your blog on ESL quite the informative blog. Thanks you. I like to read your blog when I eat, and today I am totally fed up!

I hope you are the happy blogger today. Someday, maybe you can visit my country (Chicago) and hunt me down.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Oh, and as people in your country will keep saying, “Have a nice day!” :)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I seem to remember having seen a few of those women somewhere before… Might it have been in Vienna? Or perhaps TV?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

“That’s hot!” (not)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

I am more of a Baby Spice kinda guy myself.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I am sure you liked “Its raining men”, Mr.Pilot.. ;)

I wonder why he has a different girlfriend/partner every year … is it because he won’t take them to the ball?

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Was Baby Spice in “Its raining men” Shra?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

OOOOOOOOOOOH! Sorry, Mr.Pilot… honest mistake… been tackling numbers for a very long time… kinda mixed up both those Spices… forgive me, kind sir….

Why do these actresses play the peon to Herr Pathetic? Or is he really as pathetic as you portray him, Bob. Do you envy him, Bob, when he has these actresses on his arm? In short, do you suffer from peonist’s envy?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Peonist’s envy. Very good one, Doc.

But the truth is, I know nothing about the guy’s skills at the keyboard, so I have no reason to be envious.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

All is forgiven Shra. I can’t say I would have known either way because I generally do not partake of events involving men raining down on things.

I could totally understand if Baby Spice does though.

Ziga zig ahhhhhhhh.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Surely SOME of those celebrities earn enough money to buy either some self esteem or their own tickets to the ball ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I thought “peonist” would strike a chord. But, you’re like me, Bob. Peonism is not your forte.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Well, thought someone would like to see Geri in a two piece outfit doing callisthenics… (MY BIG WORD OF THE DAY! Might have got the spelling wrong tho.. :P)

Well, I would guess these stars have enough money to buy/rent/lease/entice better company when going to the opera, even if it’s in Vienna.

Goes to show how much I know about money, being shut off in this looney bin and knowing the world through this blog exclusively (… and THAT is my big word for the day!!)

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

M, you are not alone in that loony bin… we are all in some loony bin or the other… somewhere in the world..
LMR in Madagascar, me in Estonia, E in Nepal.. unca I dont know where he is… must have found a new loony bin and taking time to get used to it…..

Yup… Warsaw is right here… i mean in Poland..

I’ll have you know I do not live in a looney bin!

It’s a farm. A rather…funny…farm. We laugh here all the live-long-day!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I live on an island. Some would say it’s a long one.

Mr. B. is working on figuring that out. I think he has a few maps spread out on the table.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I live in a magical wood in a city. The wood is filled with flowers and water gardens. The wood is also a menagerie, with deer, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, foxes, and birds of all feathers. I like to sit beside the water gardens, smell the pine trees, watch the fish and frogs and turtles, listen to the stream tumble into ponds, and wonder to the sound of dragon flies and the wind in the pine trees.

My friends call my place “the Nature Preserve.” True.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Unca,

Bear Grylls trespasses and eats them. If you see the episode of Man versus Wild where Bear is running for his life from two big police German Shepherds, that’s my place!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Yep, Unca, I saw some articles on that. I am more of a Les Stroud fan. But, I must say, with what my survival trainng taught me, and what I’ve seen Les do on Survivor Man, if I were stranded with Les, I think I would probably let him go one way, and I would go the other.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I believe I shall have to sit at the bench on that one as well… Survival in my mind is just making it through the day and getting home at night in one piece…

Posted by justM | Report as abusive