Two, four, six, eight, who we gonna radiate?

February 1, 2010

Hi Blog Guy, it’s me! The aspiring photojournalist you’ve been mentoring. Looks like you’ve got me for another semester!

Cripes. What do you want now?

icon combo 490 this one

Well, I have kind of a devious question. Let’s say I’m shooting a politician, but I want a very, very subtle way to make him look good, so readers will form a subliminal positive opinion.

That’s easy. Just frame the shot to make him look like he has a halo. You know, like he’s part of a religious icon.

RUSSIA-GAY/Wow. And that would really trick people?

Sure. Look at these shots. You think, “Gosh, those guys sure look good,” but you can’t quite put your finger on why. It fools readers all the time.

That’s amazing! So in case there isn’t anything behind them like that, when I go on assignments should I take an icon with me?

What?

Should I take an icon with me?

Huh?

SHOULD I TAKE AN ICON WITH ME!?!?

You could, or you could take a Canon or a Pentax if you prefer…

Top left: A religious icon in Moscow, in a 2000 file photo.

Top center: President Barack Obama speaks about the U.S. Government 2011 in the Cross Hall of the White House in Washington, February 1,  2010. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Top right: U.S. Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner listens as Obama speaks, February 1,  2010. REUTERS/Jason Reed

Middle right: Woman holds Orthodox icons in Moscow in 2007  file photo. REUTERS/Sergei Karpukhin

Mr. B. how to you ALWAYS post a new blog when I take my lunch break? Your timing sir is uncanny.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Well in fairness, when you take a six-hour lunch break, you run certain risks….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Always preferable to take a Nikon over the alternatives. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Touche Mr. B…. touche.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I’m a Canon girl myself … get it? Canon as in camera, but also as in the Canon of the Saints?

I’m so very punny.

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

Aich! So am I, LMR! :P

I am holy -er, wholly impressed by these pictures. I was sure there was some form of illumination to Obama, but this clarifies it all.

Barackus, ora pro nobis!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

You know, Beyonce’s song ‘Halo’ has a special place in my heart.

And now it’s going to be in my head all day.

Thanks Baz.

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Unca, how about this marching cadence:

Your mother was there when you left.
You’re right!
Your father was there when you left.
You’re right!
Your girlfriend was there when you left.
You’re right!
They were all glad that you left.
You’re right!

And now, more coffee … with a side of Lexapro.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

hey… I found a good song… anotehr one by Celine… which has references to the “Halo”ed one… should I suggest? ;)

Noooooooooooooooo Celine.

No No No.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ok… then everyoe would be glad to sing this one along…
“Hakuna Matata!” :P

Never saw “The Lion King”. I refuse to but I do not know why. When I took French as a second language in high school the teacher showed that movie to us in class. I put my head down and attempted to take a nap. That was detered by my intense curiosity as to what everyone in the movie was saying.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

A French class listening to Swahili! Sometimes, to nag my son into doing his chores, I will speak to him in French with an Irish accent. (He studies French in high school and has won national awards in French competitions.) Some would consider that child abuse. But, hey, whatever it takes to get him to do his chores.

He has told me, though, that he prefers my (fake) Irish/French to my real French, which — I’m told — has a German accent. (After he told me that, I thought about going into his bedroom when he was asleep and supergluing him to his dirty socks.)

Now, I want my German to have a French accent.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Dr., I am not sure your son would notice being glued to his dirty socks, if he is anything like half the teenagers I know!

Now, you are welcome to visit Switzerland anytime to improve your German accent in your French. No place like this to get it just right!

Mr. Pilot, I just need an extra fix after reading your comment on having the movie in high school. When The Lion King came out I was already beyond University!!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Sorry M… if it makes ya feel any better it had already been out for a few years before we were made to watch it in class.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Mr.Pilot… I believe we may be on similar age lines here!!! ;)

Hey, Pilot dude, that does NOT help; much to the contrary, it worsens the situation! Here I was already in the professional world and you and Shra were still in high school!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

I am soooo not in high school.. In the murky dungeons of the Professional World.. just like you M… though I must say, I got bored pretty early.. :)

I dunno Shra, is Kayne West really too old for you?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I believe, I said in some blog he was… how old is he again? 40? ;)

hmm…

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I hope he is not 40 because I am only a couple of years shy in age as him and that would mean I lost ten years of my life. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

It’s not the actual age that matters. It’s how one looks and acts, how one takes care of himself. I took a FB quiz called “What is your actual age?” It said I was 27. (That must be my age. A FB quiz said so.)

I am older than that, but I have this painting in my attic, see, that ages instead of me….

What is my secret?

Eating right;
getting plenty of sleep; and
lying about my age!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Unca, if you can’t trust anyone over 30 and can’t trust anyone under 30 then that would mean you can only trust someone who IS 30.

So then you can trust me.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

What was that rule again? Ahh.. yess…
“Dont ask a man his pay, and dont ask a woman her age..” I am gonna follow the rules today… so, I aint telling… ;)

I don’t take FB quizzes, I don’t do FB, I do not know what FB stands for, I don’t know what twitter is, I need help using a computer…

I believe I am in the wrong age group for this blog. By the way, what the blazes IS a bloody blog?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

I don’t mind getting older, so long as I can still do yoga when I’m ninety. Old is ok…infirm is not.

I’m 33 all told, though I often forget my own age when asked. Partly because it’s not something I think about often! Mostly because of all the meds.

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Thanks a lot, Tim, I appreciate good, warm solidarity. And you’ve put my mind at ease, thanks a lot. YOu and a fix of Robert’s doughnuts.

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Nah, Dr didnt order that!