Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

The place to go when you really NEED to pull a head off!

February 3, 2010

I  just don’t get it about Spain. Those people over there only seem to be entertained if they’re doing something twisted to animals, live or dead.

I’ve blogged endlessly about bullfighting, the sport of psychopaths, and about those louts who run with the bulls in Pamplona. The bulls never catch a break in either of those activities.

rooster combo 490

Then there’s that fiery ceremony for the “purification” of horses, and the festival where competitors try to tear the head off a goose.

SPAIN/Today we have a variation of the goose one, a festival where folks pull the heads off of roosters.

Do these people have something against just watching TV for entertainment, like the rest of us?

I get the idea that if your village wants to have a festival, the official government form says, “Briefly describe what kind of animals will be abused, and how.”

Hey Blog Guy, it’s me, your editor. Aren’t you forgetting that Spanish festival that doesn’t involve harming animals at all? It’s the one where they dress a guy as the devil and have him jump over a mattress filled with live babies. Just humans, no animals.

Oh that’s right, Boss, thanks for the reminder! I feel so much better about the place now.

Top combo: People dressed in traditional costumes grab the heads of dead roosters during a festival in the northern Spanish town of Santo Domingo de Silos, January 30, 2010.

Right: A man dressed in traditional garb waves a flag during the festival, January 30, 2010. As part of the Los Jefes festival, riders on horseback compete to grab dead roosters hanging from a rope.

REUTERS photos by Felix Ordonez

Comments

Not to mention they destroyed the highly advanced Incan empire.

Posted by rottenwill | Report as abusive

Hmmmmmmm, the roosters are already dead? They should try it with live wolverines instead. Morons.

I had to go check out the baby-jumping. That is seriously disturbing.

Where do you find this stuff BG? I need more meds now.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

I remain firmly on the bench, especially on this one.

¡Salud!

M.

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Does PETA know about this? I bet they would collectively sh*t their pants if they did.

I went back and read the linked blogs being that they were before my time here and I have two things to say about them…

1: What a bunch of downer commenters ya had there trying to be all educational and stuff.

2: Dr. D. was absolutely right.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Yeah Dave, the roosters are already dead, although I suspect they are killed for this event. I mean, I doubt if they go out gathering rooster road kill….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

What’s got into you Basler?? :(
My bummy bum bum aches sitting on the bench but I aint getting up one bit… just for the fear that someone else may sit in my place… :P

No worries Shra, I will save your spot on the bench.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Since I am in no risk on going anywhere anytime soon, I will make sure there’s a spot for you on the bench.

Robert, is there any special reason why your posts of this week are being animal-centric?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

There have only been two. Sometimes it just works out that way.

I didn’t schedule it so that the rooster head-pulling festival in Spain overlapped with the banning of sex with animals in the Netherlands.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

yeeha ! :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Awww.. arent people sweet on this blog… Well, i have lifted myself up from the bench and am gonna go search E… maybe get her to bring some of her soul.. oops.. soup along… :P

I just thought Robert put up these posts in order to nudge up his sales of doughnuts… you know, the meddie-filled or sprinkled kind.

Come to think of it, it has been a rather slow start of the year for doughnuts

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

We’re like one big happy medicated family. Lovely!

Really am going to make my soup this weekend. Shra, I have a pic of it on FB, in my Food album.

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

It’s true, E. has lots of great food pictures in her album. She can do the cooking for our big party.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

So, are we having the party, RCB??? :)

Does that mean, we are finally having that party, Basler?????
E, put it up and bring it down!! :)

Oddly enough when I typed in “I wanna see some yummy soup pics gahdammit!” into the search field on FB it did not yield any results. I might have to refine my FB hunting skills.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Mr. Pilot, do you mean you can order soup on FB? WOW!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

What? Nooooo?! I’m cooking for the party? Well that just sucks!

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

What? Look, if Shra can be the bartender and make her famous rum and vodkas for us, then the least you can do is cook. And let us use your living room. And wash the dishes. After all, CrowGirl is going to sing and dance for us.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Well,well…and what are you gonna do BG???
Lie drunk on E’s sofa after puking over the guys?
Say, havent seen Bill in the while… is he digging an underground tunnel to E’s place?

The last time I had a party at my place…well, I’m not ready to think about it just yet.

Ok ok, I can whip up a batch of chili or something. Or..wait no better now. I just have the one bathroom.

So we got drinks, food and entertainment…what’s left? Oh yes, party favours. Who’s bringing the party favours?

Shra, no sign of Bill yet…I’ll have my cat keep an eye out.

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

No M, as far as I know one can not order soup on FB yet. I am part of a growing fetish of soup voyeurism that is sweeping the on-line community. It’s something about the way the steam rises from a hot bowl of minestrone or a cup of seafood bisque that really gets my night goin. Forget about french onion. All that melty cheese really puts me over the top!

And E did say her soup was to die for!

I can fly in a shipment of party favors. This time though I will find a more appropriate place to leave my crashed plane.

And I take offense Shra. I know I am no Jason Statham, Bradd Pitt, or Doctor Doll but I do not think I am so bad as to cause Mr. B. to puke over!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ok, BG pukes on everybody except you mah man! ;)
happy?

I’m going to sing ? AND dance ?! We’re going to need a lo-ootttt of booze…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I am happy with that condition yes Shra thanks. :)

Hell CrowGirl with enough booze I will sing and dance too!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I’ll join you all and bring along some of my co-inma… con-inter… friends!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Yay I have help in the kitchen! I’m with you on the organ thing unca. I’m thinking lets keep it simple with the food, after all most of us are more interested in the drink right?!

So party at my place? (Still not sure how that happened but hey, I’ll roll with it!)

Y’all can meet my cat!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

And we are gonna play “Move it.. move it!”…
LMR is enjoying Madagascar a bit too much these days…. tooooo quite…

I am a very funny person when I sing. In college, my teammates laughed and laughed until they cried, threw themselves about in their chairs, and fell out of them onto the floor when I sang in our summercamp talent show (which all freshman players were required to perform in). That would have been great, if my intent had been to be funny….

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Ahahahaah you crack me up Doc, really you do.

:))

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Doc, your description sounds very much like the type of reaction I got when auditioning in school for different parts in the annual plays.

Come to think of it, now it’s dawning on me that’s the reason why I was always in charge of lighting and selling the tickets only!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive