Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Oscars for the arty Havarti movie?

February 9, 2010

avatar combo verticalLooking through our photo files, I keep seeing pictures of people wearing special glasses. I should check that out.

Where have you been, Blog Guy? They’re watching “Avatar” in 3D. It’s a blockbuster Oscars contender!

A film about a semi-soft Danish cheese? I hate subtitles.

No, you big imbecile, the cheese is Havarti, which would be different. This is “AVATAR.”

You mean like a slaughterhouse?

No, that’s an abattoir. Look, here are photos of the director James Cameron, and movie audiences watching “AVATAR.”

And is that Iran’s President Ahmadinejad watching it?

No, not everyone in funny glasses is watching “Avatar.”

And there’s actor Danny DiVito at the”Avatar” premiere, but his glasses look different.

I guess he’s just there for the Raisinets.

That’s a lot of fricking candy! How long IS this  movie?

avatar vertical 200About three hours.

THREE HOURS? I won’t sit still for a three-hour movie about Havarti or any other cheese, no matter how Gouda it is!

Blog Guy, this is the stupidest post you’ve ever done.

Sorry, there’s been a blizzard outside my window for days. It’s made me giddy and slaphappy… Hey, wasn’t that the Stooges’ law firm?

Top: Canadian director James Cameron shows 3D glasses as he poses in front of a poster before a promotion event for his latest movie Avatar at the World Economic Forum, in Davos January 28, 2010. REUTERS/Christian Hartmann

Middle: Visitors wear 3D glasses as they watch a preview of “Avatar” during the Comic Con Convention in San Diego, July 23, 2009. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

Bottom: Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad wears protective glasses while visiting an exhibition of Iran laser science and technology in Tehran, February 7, 2010. REUTERS/Raheb Homavandi

Left: Actor Danny DeVito attends the premiere of “Avatar” in Hollywood, December 16, 2009. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

Comments

Raisinets are good. I am more of a Goobers kinda guy though.

I have yet to see “Avatar” and I really don’t have any plans to. I just keep thinking “Fern Gully” on steroids.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ok, that picture of the folks watching the movie is just disturbing. I’m pretty certain they all left the theater as zombies.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Not fair Mr.Pilot… I was planning for a 3D film marathon once you came here… :P

I liked Avatar, and I looove smoked Gouda.

As for the peoples in the pics…they shoulda gone to Specsavers!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

One woman is not wearing her glasses… does she have 3D vision?

We could still do a 3D marathon. “Jaws” is good in 3D. After that, Imma not wanna swim home. :p

I have come to find that if a piece of seaweed brushes against my foot I react to it as if it were a shark.

Also I went clamming one time. I was using my toes to dig for them. I felt something that I thought was a clam. When I dove under to grab it, it showed me its claws. I became Jesus until I reached the shore.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

3D vision, zombies … LOL! Rapier like wit, this lot.

Maybe we need to throw a Havarti party to celebrate this avatar bazaar? *GROAN*

(I know, I know … please slowly step away from the rhyming dictionary.)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

So wait, there’s no 3D movie about cheese? Damn, that’s cold.

Posted by kgolden1 | Report as abusive

Not so fast, kgolden1. If you like the horror genre, I believe there are are some Godzillas and other Muenster movies…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I think cheese-filled Raisinet doughnuts could make the Avatar experience even better. Most people would probably focus their 3-D spectacle through the cheese-filled Raisinet doughnuts to more fully appreciate the movie. That’s what I would do, anyway.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

What ARE raisinets ? Really small raisins, or what ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

CrowGirl, you poor, deprived third-world child. Raisinets are chocolate covered raisins. I’ve never seen one in the light. Nobody has, because you just eat them at movies.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Basler, I resent that comment! I havent eaten Raisinets myself… though I must say not all the food on the other side of the pond is appealing…
Can someone get me some Kool Aid please? The blue kind? (batting eyelashes at Mr.Pilot)

Hmm…Avatar? Anyone else finding it worthy to surpass Titanic? :-|

Posted by fwd79 | Report as abusive

Shra, the woman without the glasses does not have 3D vision; she is texting Paris Hilton telling her how great the movie is!

Sarabelle, I’d much rather take some of Robert’s doughnuts… his chocolate-filled with Xanax sprinkles are especially good, although E is more partial to the blueberry muffins filled with Tegretol. It’s all in tastes, I guess.

M.

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

What does intrigue me is why Ahmadinejad’s glasses are cooler than the ones the rest of the spectators are using. Does he get privileges for being a President?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Seriously M, dont you think they look more like underwater googles?? They look that way to me… :P

Yes, Shra, indeed. Which makes me think he got the not-disposable kind when he went to see Avatar. Was that a perk for the people who went to the Première? Crap, I should have got re-sold tickets!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Anything for you my dear Shra. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Unc, I think you’re thinking of Marmite, the rotted vegetable equivalent of Bovril (beef stock drink). And you were mis-sold black pudding if it had oatmeal in, it should be pearl barley. Good black pudding is rare but awesome. Happily for me, my local butcher makes his own. I’m unsure on the litre/quart thing – a pint is 568ml, and a UK quart is 2 pints, a quarter of a gallon. I think your quarts are different…? Want to swap food parcels ?

Mr B; I’ve had chocolate covered raisins, I just didn’t realise they had a brand name. Thanks for the ‘child’ though; I’ll take inaccurate flattery whenever it’s offered !

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Hey, I see on FB that you’re less of a recluse than you used to be. We’ll get you out of that shell yet…..

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Ha ha!! Told ya, Crowgirl! ;)
And I havent really tasted Marmite… dont fancy buying a jar, having a wee taste and throwing the stuff away…

Marmite, vegemite… in my book, they all rank somewhere below the Indian urinade thingy of some time ago in this blog.

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 09/03/07/when-life-hands-you-urine-make- urinade/

:-{

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

It’s Shra’s fault, she made me post a picture of me where you could see my face. It won’t be staying up there long, I like it in my shell !

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Okay, there’s been too much blaming of Shra for stuff lately. She’s a fine human being who never hurt anyone, at least when she’s on her meds, so let’s cut her some slack.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I won’t hear a bad word against her. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I must have been really daft not to realise I was being blamed!!!! Dang, blame it on the meddies… too much of them to take the edge off at work…
And I am feel so special to know there are so many here to defend me… (sniff sniff, checking to see if anyone notices)
I am really honoured!!

Unca, I see you suffer from echolia, too. I’m much more of the “Paula, Paula, Paula” (as uttered by Charles Boyer” in Gaslight) persuasion.

Did Cary Grant ever really say “Judy, Judy, Judy”? Holy abono de vaca cakes! Did Cary Grant have echolia, too? Just like Charles Boyer? It’s an epidemic! epidemic! epidemic!

Everyone repeat after me: “I will not repeat words….” No, that’s not such a good idea is it? it? it?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Approximately 12% of the population has trouble with binocular vision to the extent that they cannot see stereoscopic 3-D, which is why the 3-D hype comes around every 15 years or so.

Given the choice of investing in 3DTV or chocolate, go for the Goobers.

Posted by strangename | Report as abusive

I must have a medical disorder. I see 3-D all the time!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Good to see there is another Goobers fan. Can we get some for the bench here??

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

It’s a little-cared-for fact that Goobers, those chocolate-covered peanuts, derive their name from “Goober Peas”, which is what the “crackers” back in Georgia (that’s Gee-OR-ja) used to call peanuts. (Born in Georgia, reared elsewhere)

Posted by strangename | Report as abusive