Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Raise your hand if you could use a drink!

February 9, 2010

I have to wonder what’s really going on here. The caption says these are U.S. Marines watching as a dude from the Thai Navy catches a cobra with his bare hands during a “jungle survival exercise,” but look at them. They’re chuckling and taking photos!

cobra 490

Is there some part of “jungle survival exercise” that seems to confuse them? Do they think this is just a Thai ventriloquist act?

cobra combo vertical 200Have these guys been led to believe that if they’re a polite audience, they’ll get to go to the swim-up bar for coconut rum drinks and satay?

Because I’m no genius, but even I can see this one coming. I’d sign up for a ride in a gyrocopter before I’d sign up for a “jungle survival exercise,” and once I saw the cobra, it would wipe any smile right off my face.

Sure enough, these other photos of the guys eating lizards and drinking cobra blood just help confirm that in pursuing higher education, course titles are important. “Advanced Calculus” means one thing, and “Jungle Survival Exercise” means something else.

And one more thing. When is the exact last time a U.S. Marine really had to survive by drinking cobra blood?

I mean, I’m guessing that out there in the jungle, more cobras survive on Marines than the other way around. Then again, maybe that’s why this snake signed up for the exercise…

Jungle survival slideshow

U.S. Marines watch as a personnel from the Thai navy catches a cobra with his bare hands during a jungle survival exercise, as part of  the “Cobra Gold 2010″ joint military exercise, at a military base in Chon Buri Province, Thailand, February 9, 2010.

A U.S. Marine eats a lizard during the jungle survival exercise.

A U.S. Marine drinks the blood of a cobra during the jungle survival exercise.

REUTERS photos by Chaiwat Subprasom

Comments

I feel this one should best be left to the former DIs and military experts of the group. I am just gonna get nice and comfy here on my part of the bench and watch the show.

If anyone could indulge me in one curiosity though… do you think a cobra thinks a Marine tastes like chicken?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Oh I could still use a drink though. Or two. Or three.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Oh. I’m kinda speechless. Why the hell would they drink cobra blood? I much prefer a nice highland malt, bruised.

Thing is, I was on “Cobra Gold” 1996, and no cobras were harmed. No ifly, I’m pretty sure Marines would taste like old shoes to a cobra. After all, we are “leathernecks”.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

I’m betting that the reason they’re all smiling and taking pictures is that the photographer taking their picture is cute and of the female persuasion.

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

“A Marine eats a lizard during the jungle survival exercise”? Unhand the Geico gecko!

Posted by kgolden1 | Report as abusive

A friend of mine is a Marine. We often play paintball together. He refuses to get down on the ground and crawl as any part of his strategy. When I asked him about it he looked me dead in the eye and said..

“Are you kidding, the ground is dirty and I don’t want to ruin my clothes!”

He has served two tours overseas, is tough as nails, and is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet with a great sense of humor.

To make it even funnier he was serious, he really didn’t want to get his clothes dirty!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

The cobra and lizard must have been talking smack during the demonstration. This is what happens to rude, green, scaly things when they hang around the USMC too much.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

That’s not really drinking cobra blood though, is it ? That’s having a few drops of it dripped onto your tongue. Drinking cobra blood implies a steaming glass of juicy redness…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Once again, I am reminded that I need to look before I leap….I saw the headline and threw up my hand, screaming, “OOOOhhh meee, meee, choose me”, as I REALLY could use that drink right now, but then discovered that this post wasn’t at all what I was thinking it was and I really, really don’t want to play with snakes. Not the slimy, slithering kind, especially. So, in case you were on your way over to recruit the volunteers with raised hands, my hand is now firmly DOWN!

Posted by beachbum | Report as abusive

I am pretty sure the most important difference between the two is the respawn aspect.

Paintball yes. Real combat no.

Trust me I am well aware of that.

I do not have the patience to be a sniper. I get too bored. I need to shoot something and shoot something NOW!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That’s all right. You don’t really need to volunteer. We can volunteer you for the drink anyway.

Posted by IamNotSomebody | Report as abusive

I’ll gladly join the drink, as long as there are some of Robert’s nice doughnuts before… I’m certain we could all use a fix before we get into the cobra blood thing.

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

I had to see this the firast thing in the morning, didnt I?
I think snakes are hypnotic.. they hypnotise you to take then in your hands, click snaps and feel brave!
And then when you get out, you are filled with a sudden sense of horror on what you just did!!!!

Talking from past experiences…. Need my meds now…

Mr.Pilot, I have successfully avoided 3 attempts to get myself to a paintball game… lets just say… the people were not very nice off the field… so, I am dreading what they could have done to me on the field..

I’m hungry now :D

Posted by fwd79 | Report as abusive

PilotGuy, with my bummy bum bum firmly in place in the by-now warm bench (finally!) next to you, may I bother you for one of those drinks?

Oh, but not the snake-blood type, thank you very much.

If that’s the only kind available I think I’ll stick to my bowl of soup. Lookie, I got chicken noodle ramen!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

I just saved 15% on my car insurance…

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

And in other news ‘Broadcaster fined over killing a rat on TV show’.

Double standards anyone?

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Awww, c’mon E, the broadcaster wasn’t in Thailand, was (s)he?

Paintball. Hmmmm, yeah, I feel the same way about camping out. No more nights on the ground for me! Camping in the hotel is about as rough as it gets. Although, the twin bed in my current cave is only a small improvement over the old rubber b**** and a sleeping bag. You know what I’m talking about Unca.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

So, for the Marines they’re not snakes on a plane, they’re snacks on a plane.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Bill…. how did ya save on ya car insurance?

Shra has never seen a Geico commercial. Little gecko with a down-under accent that sells insurance.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

M, no bother at all, I am happy to share some drinks with good people. Cheers. And yes, the bench is finally nice and warm.

Shra, while some people are quite the poopy heads on the field, most are very nice. They kinda people who can shoot you right between the eyes then offer you a beer after.

Unca, the U.S. Army usually hosts a paintball event every year at West Point. I went for a full weekends worth of paintball and what a good time it was. Our wake up call came from a mortar exploding at 0600. They brought out an M1919 and an M240 and fired them off randomly on the field during the game (using blanks of course) and I had the pleasure of having the M240 fired off next to me when I was not aware of it. Needless to say my pants almost filled with paint. That is one loud pea-shooter!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Thanks Dave.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Got it!!! You dont need to needle me all the time with clueless stuff! So, I dont get to see American adverts all the time! Whereas now that you mention in, I do believe I have seen the green/blue gecko ad…

Shra, I’m with you on this… the American TV references in this blog are cryptic and obscure to those of us on the other side of the pond, as they have it. We should start talking about ITV3 and Eurosport…

Maybe not!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Sorry, it appears that I have caused unnecessary learning on the blog…..
Go ITV3!…?

I’ve been deservedly tased.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Sorry Shra – not sniping, just figgered you had not seen it when you asked the question. I too live in a foreign land, and much we talk about is lost on our hosts, same as what they find humorous is lost on us, so I have empathy.

Especially when I am on my meds…

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

I understand Dave… I pity ya.. :(

Unca, FYI, when one puts on the white hat backwards, one can do a very credible impersonation of a Japanese sailor. Not that I would have ever done that. I’m so serious, reserved, and shy, you know.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive