Overdressed on Underwear Day?

February 10, 2010

Blog Guy, I understand yesterday was some kind of national holiday in Brazil. You usually keep us up on stuff like that.

Sorry. Yes, it was Brazil Underwear Day, so they all went around in bras and panties and lingerie.

underwear day 3 490

Wow! That must seem very odd, huh?

I’ll say! Because in another couple of weeks it will be carnival season down there, and everybody will be wearing a whole lot less than that.

Um, LESS than that?

You bet. Basically, Underwear Day is a chance for more conservative, self-conscious Brazilians to cover up one last time before carnival begins. As you can see from the comparative photos of the two events, it’s pretty easy to tell which is which. Hint: I didn’t have to censor the Underwear Day shots, just the carnival ones.

Thanks. For vacation planning purposes can you tell me when they celebrate Brazil Fully Clothed Day?

Brazil Fully Clothed Day! That’s a good one! I’ll start on the Wikipedia entry right now! Brazil Fully Clothed Day!

underwear day combo this one 490

Underwear Day shots in Brasilia, February 9, 2010. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes

Brazil Carnival shots by REUTERS/Sergio Moraes and Fernando Soutello

Aaaaahhhhhh, those silly white bars again.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Silly? Silly? You wouldn’t say that if you’d ever suffered from breast blindness. If I don’t protect my readers, then who will?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Breast blindness? Now I have to sound like Lamar (or Lonnie). You really don’t know what you are talking about, do you Blog Guy? Everyone knows there’s no such thing as “breast blindness”.

Yep, that just goes to show what a boob you are.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

You serious?? Underwear day???? I see you got us a nice Mr.Fab Abs as well… the other one is a bit hairy, but would do I guess.. ;)

You’re only allowed to be naked if you have a tan apparently.

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

I WANT TO LIVE IN BRAZIL !!!

ok.. shouting is over… let me now get lost in my dreams of salsa and carnival and .. :D

Posted by fwd79 | Report as abusive

Let’s have an Underwear Day here! New York, mid February.

How about some ideas for those white bars … paint by numbers, comic strips, political slogans … the mind wanders.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Whatever you say…. Nice shoes!!!!!!!!

fwd, that would be Samba, Caipirinhas, Garotas and all the rest.

K, yes. If you don’t sport a tan, then you can only strip down to your underwear, but only if it’s not too sunny out. Otherwise, the blinding effect would be composited and too dangerous for others.

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

@JustM… ah you are a life saver :)

Posted by fwd79 | Report as abusive

Hm.. I was told male blindess was caused not from viewing the boobies but from…..

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I thought every day was Underwear Day in Brazil…

Posted by kgolden1 | Report as abusive

What an opportunity for getting ogled. How many of you go out in public and keep a close eye out to secretly watch for people ogling you? I candidly admit that I do. It usually happens in stores. Women tend to be discreet, with the I’m-just-moving-my-eyes-past-you-but-not -really-looking-at-you ogle. But not always.

If you’ve got it, flaunt it, I say. But don’t go out in public like most of the women in the top pic and ogle yourself!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I know exactly what you mean about being ogled, Doc. Wait – having store security pay close attention to your every move does count as being ogled, right?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

those damned white bars!

Posted by SkimpyDog | Report as abusive

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by rbasler: Overdressed on Underwear Day? http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/02/10/overdressed-on-underwear-day/…

Ya, Unca… thats really the right thing to do just now.. :P

I can’t say that I’ve ever been ogled. Maybe I need to start hanging out around those weird male models so that I can look good in comparison.
Definitely can’t live in Brazil. I couldn’t leave my home at all! I would be too afraid of pictures that would pop up here on this site. I would also have to leave behind my aluminum hat and that is too scary to contemplate.

Posted by IamNotSomebody | Report as abusive

The pound and dollar conversion rates are different… I aint paying you that kinda cash for no aluminium hat!

A less expensive solution would be to think aluminum thoughts.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

[...] Reuters UK (blog) Vurdert til: av 0 [...]

[...] consider it news any longer and b) it ties up my assistant all weekend long, adding those white bars that protect my readers from breast blindness, etc. Imagine my overtime bill for sanitizing these [...]