Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Our cakes are CRAP-TASTIC!

February 11, 2010

Welcome to what may be the all-time best installment of our popular feature, “Stuff Maybe we Should Have Explained in the Caption, but Didn’t.”

The actual photo caption here tells us this woman is making “cow dung cakes.” That’s pretty much it. Lacking any more information, I must fill in the blanks from my own twisted imagination.

cow dung cakes 490

Dear Ms. Johnson,

I’m afraid our bank will not be able to give you a start-up loan for your unique new venture at this time.

cow dung cakes drop 260We have studied your business plan, and feel that with a Krispy Kreme right next door, local demand just won’t support “Betty’s Yummy Cow Dung Cake Shop.”

We question your marketing decision to offer only cow dung cakes in your shop. Customers enjoy variety, and would doubtless like to sample cow dung cookies, cow dung cupcakes and perhaps cowpie pies.

We do wish you every success, Ms Johnson, and we look forward to that fresh-baked crap-tacular aroma wafting our way!

A woman makes cow dung cakes at Bahlolpur village in the northern Indian state of Punjab, February 10, 2010. REUTERS/Ajay Verma

Comments

And here I thought you knew better, Basler….

Thanks for the close-up.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

This is crap!

Oh, well… I guess it comes as no surprise to anyone, does it?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

They look awfully plain…do they not have bundt cake pans, or muffin tins there? Where’s the creativity?

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

Are those the exhibits from the Live Colonoscopy Museum?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

In fairness, justK, I believe she makes a very fancy cow dung wedding cake….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Why would you think that Basler would do any better?

At least that is one of the jobs that gets better as time goes along. Seriously, once you lose your sense of smell the job is so much easier. I used to have drive by a feed lot every day for a while and am glad to say that I never got used to it.

Posted by IamNotSomebody | Report as abusive

That is an awwwwful lot of cow poo! I wonder how many cows it took? Could one calculate the ratio of cows to dung in order to find out how much methane was produced during the making of all these cows patties? That’s assuming the patties is 100% dung, but then what’s the binding agent? Grass of some sort? That would make sense given what cows eat. So maybe it’s 95% dung and 5% other materials.

Oh dear…

Ahhh…ahhh…ahhhhchoooOOOO!!

*sniff* Ah-yup. I’m allergic to maths. *sniffle*

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Is she related to Eugene “Toilet Head” Johnson? Maybe that would explain a few things …

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Whoa, someone’s gearing up for a huge game of Cow Chip Bingo!

Posted by kgolden1 | Report as abusive

They don’t even look like they’ll tesselate very well for building with. Hmm. I have access to a LOT of cow muck; if someone can come up with a halfway reasonable suggesdtion as to the purpose of these, I’m willing to give it a go…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

It looks like they’re full of fiber. Maybe the Museum of Live Colonoscopies would have less business if people ingested more of these. Eating healthily is SO important these days!

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

One of my neighbors had a crapcake shaped into a large frog for her garden. Every time it rained, bits of the crap-frog would fertilize the garden. No joke. You can buy them at some gardening stores. See, decorative AND functional.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Seriously…

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Are these the crepes that I keep hearing about?

Posted by comment | Report as abusive

The reporter fails to tell us what they taste like. What is journalism coming to?

Posted by Timuchin | Report as abusive

Ah.. sweet smell!! :D

But seriously, these are fuel for the kitchen. much like wood.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Crowgirl, the place where I ome from, use these as energy source… called biogas… google it… I cant give you any more info as that would be teaching and I am in no mood to zap myself or be tassed by anyone else here….
Unca, you are 40% right… :P

Amazed by the lack of savy in this group….The turd pies are used to fuel heat and cooking fires.

Posted by valkarian | Report as abusive

Hey, it’s a big mistake to be amazed by the lack of savvy in this group….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Nope, valkarian will not be welcome on the bench with that attitude.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Why should cow dung get all this publicity? Where’s the elephant dung cakes? Giraffe dung cakes? Horse dung cakes? This is not a PC post! But then, I digress. But this ia a digressive blog so, I guess I fit right in.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

At last the truth is uncovered!
Where monkeys REALLY get the poo they throw at you at the zoo.
Thanks RB for this piece of ground-breaking investigative journalism.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

Shra, that was decidedly educational. I think the liquorice whips are called for….

Valkarian, teaching on this blog is verboten! Forbidden! Interdit! Not allowed! Proscribed! Banned! Enjoined!

Versteh? Got it? Follow me? Comprendre? Understand? Comprehende?

Or you will be zapped! Tased! Liquorice whipped! Exiled! Banished! Excommunicated!

Now, on to work. Time flies when you’re on medication!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Savvy?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hey, it just hit me. Do you suppose she misread a recipe for Maryland Crab Cakes? How embarrassing!

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Well, eating these would make me very crabby. Like the time I ate one of those fiber bars. That’s it! Fiber bars are cow-crap cakes cut into strips! strips! strips!

I’m sorry. sory. sory. My doctor says I have echolia. echolia. echolia.

That’s when you have to repeat the last word you hear. hear. hear.

Hey! Hey! Hey! There’s an echo in here. here. here.

I think that’s crazy, and so does my doctor. doctor. doctor.

Cool echo. echo. echo.

Hello. Hello. Hello.

Helloooo! Helloooo! Helloooo!

Never mind me, I’m just playing. playing. playing.

I think I’ll sing. sing. sing.

“Oh, I’m not a pheasant plucker, plucker, plucker,
But a pheasant plucker’s son, son, son,
And I’m sitting plucking pheasants, pheasants, pheasants,
Til the pheasant plucker comes. comes. comes.”

Say that three times fast, Shra. Shra. Shra.

How ’bout this one. one. one.

“I love to go swimmin’ with bow-legged women… women… women…

Oh, wait. wait. wait.

That’s probably not appropriate for a family oriented blog. blog. blog.

Bob? Bob? Bob? What are you doing there, Bob? Bob? Bob?

Don’t! Don’t! Don’t!

afjdka;ie afjdka;ie afjdka;ie….

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Ouch, be gentle with those licorice whips..!!!

Always, Shra.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Shra.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Shra….

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Unca,

That’s a whole different disease, one where people who can spell medical terms keep repeating words….

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

That’s right. Discovered, I believe, in Baden-Baden…

Posted by rbasler | Report as abusive

I like to eat mahi mahi and cous cous in Baden-Baden, no Walla Walla, or is it Bora Bora or Pago Pago? Excuse me, I have to take a pee pee.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I heard cows are sacred in India. I hadn’t realised this extended to giving the dung a proper funeral.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Well, the dung is cremated to make sure that the soul of its originator goes to heaven too, you know…

Yeah, we do something kind of similar in the States, usually in flaming brown paper bags left on the front porch of our algebra teacher’s home late at night. Or so I’ve heard.

Posted by rbasler | Report as abusive

Always thought you had wicked bones in your body, Basler… and I soooooo admire you for that…
My algebra teacher was a nightmare too…. just never had it in me to be wicked to her…. was too much of a Miss Goody-Two-Shoes in school….

they are all directed to The Pastures…