Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Sweaty sport is all pawn, no brawn

February 14, 2010

Blog Guy, you used to be so good at covering stupid sports, but not lately. Come on! Your blog is the only place we can go to read about the really offbeat sports the big networks don’t want us to see!

steam chess 490

That’s a fair point. Let me make it up to you with Flop Sweat Chess.

Excuse me?

Yeah, these guys are playing chess in a thermal bath, as you can see by the thick presence of steam and vapor and perspiration.

steam chess 280Is it a lot like regular dry chess?

No. It may not be clear in these photos, but instead of chessmen you use little sticks of deodorant, which come in very handy.

The two sides are generally Unscented Original vs. Musk. Usually the paper chessboard dissolves before checkmate.

See here, Blog Guy, that’s just really dumb, even for you.  I mean, how do you even know who the winner is?

Easy. While these guys are playing, the winner is the one who’s back in the locker room going through their wallets.

It’s like the Olympics of stupid! Join the Oddly Enough blog network

Bathers play chess while relaxing in Szechenyi Bath during a winter morning in Budapest February 12, 2010. REUTERS/Laszlo Balogh

Comments

If this form of chess catches on, it is an opportunity for humanity to regain the upper hand against chess-playing supercomputers like Deep Blue. “You’re so smart, let’s see you try to castle when your circuits are over 100 degrees and 100% humidity”.

Posted by strangename | Report as abusive

This looks like more fun than the World Sauna Championships! Why isn’t this an Olynpic sport?

Posted by kgolden1 | Report as abusive

had there been one decent looking Mr.Fab Abs here, I would have liked chess…. since there are none… I still dont like chess…

I was with you up to the point where you turned ‘getting a medal’ into a verb…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

A sales guy once came by work selling shot glass chess sets. That was a great way to promote team work and critical thinking skills. Beer for one and chess for the other, though I can’t remember which for which.

Posted by IamNotSomebody | Report as abusive

Beer in shot glasses? You serious????
I thought they didnt come in anything smaller than a pint?
Now, vodka in a shot glass is a beauty….

Unfortunately our bosses don’t keep vodka at work, only beer. We can only work with what we have.

Posted by IamNotSomebody | Report as abusive

IANS, somehow your workplace sound more enticing than my ward. Wanna swap?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

No thanks, I’ll keep my job. I’m crazy, not insane.

Posted by IamNotSomebody | Report as abusive

Hmmmmmm. I guess there’s a mistake in your personnel file, then….

Posted by rbasler | Report as abusive

The voices said that it wasn’t a mistake, just that I’m being targeted by the White Hat Conspiracy, but we’re okay with that now.

Posted by IamNotSomebody | Report as abusive

And how can you be ok with something like that, Iam?
Unless…. oh no! Yes you have! Oh no!!!!

We have no comment about your suspicions. None whatsoever. Nope, not going to say anything.

Posted by IamNotSomebody | Report as abusive

He has been abducted by the Conspiracy! Tell the world!!

Who would have thought that it is possible to play chess sets in such a condition? They are floating around in a thermal bath and trying their luck with a game. If the set is a wooden one, it will be easier to play. I think such a game may be exciting for all the players.

David