Carnival: if you go, don’t plan to go

February 15, 2010

Not to seem indelicate, but I guess it’s human nature to worry about having ample places to go to the bathroom. I suspect that if somebody came back to life after having seen the afterlife, our first question would be, “Are there enough toilets over there?”

BRAZIL/

Indeed, travel surveys have found that among Americans planning to go abroad, their number one and number two concerns are, well, number one and number two.

This topic is very timely if you’re going to Brazil’s famous carnival. A Reuters story from Rio refers to “the pungent perfume conjured up by thousands of beer-soaked revelers relieving themselves on the nearest wall or in gutters…”

carnival 260The story warns that officials are trying to stem the yellow tide. Eager to clean up their act ahead of the city’s 2014 soccer World Cup and 2016 Olympics, Rio is slapping violators with fines and even jail time of up to two years.

I have mixed feelings. It seems like if carnival goers know public toilets are in very short supply, maybe they should have only one beer, instead of 36.

Or, they may wish to stay in their hotel room, drink all they want, and watch the fun from the bathroom window.

But I can also do simple math, and I know that even if you get busted this week, and you get the two-year jail sentence, you’ll STILL be out long before Rio’s World Cup and Olympics, which means go ahead, knock yourself out!

A reveler parades for Tom Maior samba school during carnival in Sao Paulo, Brazil, February 13, 2010. REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker

A man dressed as a woman urinates on a street during the Carnival in Cadiz, Spain, in a 2007 file photo. REUTERS/Marcelo del Pozo

Yellow journalism. Really BG. Ya gotta do better than that. I do see that you are trying to regain your rep as a travel blog, or, whatever.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Or yellow urinalism, you might say.

Posted by rbasler | Report as abusive

Umm..no disrespect to those from across the pond, but is that the Queen making a wee on some garbage cans? Well, it’s good to see she can party with the people at least!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That crossdresser peeing is a classic. Hilarious!

Posted by T54 | Report as abusive

[...] here:  Carnival: if you go, don't plan to go | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters Plan for biomass plant is great news for region – Opinion – The …Portsmouth schools eye [...]

[...] Carnival: if you go, don't plan to go | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters Does A Digital Slr Camera Produce Enough Radiation To Give You …Swiftspeech!: "Enough with the Gandhi-esque s–t …"Eagan Daily Photo: Not enough honkingAre You Giving Your Customers Enough Reasons To Return? (Karin …Noun + enoughEngagement wanted: are you trying hard enough? – Ivan Clark's Blog …Alcohol Labelling Is Just Not Good Enough To Warn Of Health Harms …Reel Fanatic: So, what's the movie good enough to drag me back to …Can Carriers Stop Bickering Long Enough to Kill the App Store …Two-Face | Pxleyes Photoshop Contest Watch View the Contact Powered by Search [...]

Ayy yay yay!!! I kinda like that dancer’s eh… whatever… she has worn… eh… very artistic! :P

I bet her shoes would be gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some great news I must share! I just received word that I have been inducted into Strathmore’s Who’s Who! Oh, glorious day. Oh, rapture. Oh, bliss. Oh, wait….

This isn’t what I thought. It’s not a book about who-whos. Oh, bugger!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

That’s still cool, Doc. Not as cool as getting into the very elite China edition, which just has one guy and is called “Who’s Hu…”

Posted by rbasler | Report as abusive

I’m holding out for “Who’s Who in Who-Whos”!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Didn’t I say before I love Brazil ;-)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

That’s impressive scaffolding on the lady in the first picture.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

MUGS!

After spending three months in Kenya where the only form of toilet was pit latrine, I’m not so bothered about the whole toilet question anymore. I can pull down my pants and squat with the best of them.

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

It also helps when I go back and visit the family in Mt Isa.

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

LMR, did you also develop the clarity about the purposes and uses of the left and right hands? That might also be handy when visiting Mt. Isa, I guess.

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

[...] Guy, you mentioned recently that when Americans travel abroad, the main thing we’re concerned about is whether the [...]