Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

An Olympic sport I could do myself….

February 16, 2010

wacky 1 490

Blog Guy, are you following the Olympics?

wacky combo vertical 200You mean that big thing where Chemmy Alcott is?

Uh, yes. That thing.

You know, most of the Winter Olympics events just don’t interest me, but I always do enjoy the Wacky Physical Humor competition.

Ever since Chevy Chase won the gold medal in the first Stooge-athalon event at the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, I’ve been a sucker for the pratfall and slapstick competition.

Why do you think you like that part of it so much, Blog Guy?

I think it’s because it’s something I can do myself, which isn’t true of any of those other sports.

Oh, I’m not saying I could do it as well as the trained athletes you see here, but by God, if I wanted to, I could go out there and fall on the ice over and over, until I was butt-sore and toothless.

I did it plenty in my younger days, and I don’t think you ever lose a talent like that.

Top: Switzerland’s Anais Morand falls during her routine with Antoine Dorsaz at the pairs free skating figure skating event at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics February 15, 2010. REUTERS/David Gray

Other assorted Olympic falls, REUTERS photos

Comments

She looks as if she is out of a comic book… can just imagine her expression as if she were falling from a 30 storey building and just not from 5 feet…

Well, the competition for the best fall is somewhat fierce and the facial expression is a large part of the overall score.

Posted by IamNotSomebody | Report as abusive

That’s a helluva money shot right there!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

The lady fall…the most favourite moment for a pervert (read fwd) :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Ouch! I hope they’re wearing padded undies (Depends).

Maybe the skating federation should invent an air bag with a derriere ice proximity sensor. Helmets? OSHA approved ice skating!

So iflydapanes, you’d give that move a perfect score? 200, 6.0, whatever … my head hurtz.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Boy, that guy in the last photo sure has a small head, compared to the rest of him. Maybe that, combined with not having a neck, make keeping your balance a tad tricky.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Well yeah Cam I would give that move a perfect score cause you gotta admit, that is a very well exectued triple klutz!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

The Winter Olympics is a great conversation opener in singles bars. Just about anyone can discuss them. And then its time for the introductions, when I say: “I’m Bob, Bob Basler. I write a blog for Reuters….”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Blimey, she’s wearing Burberry ! Hell of a set of thighs on those ladies though.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I hate to say this, but you are right about the thighs, CrowGirl, especially the second one, the blonde in smurf blue,looks like she had one too many late night snacks….she HAS to be a singles skater, if she was in pair competition it would put the guy in traction to lift her. Unless, of course, its the man with the extra leg….that could work!

Posted by beachbum | Report as abusive

triple klutz! LOL! :-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Surely the only reason anyone watches motorsport is for the potential crashes; this is just the winter equivalent. No, just me?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Hey DD. How’s that working for you? Getting a lot of action?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

CAM, somehow I’m not sure that is a very successful pickup line.

That is, unless you’re hitting on Shra, E, CrowGirl or SaraBelle, in which case you’d only have to identify yourself by your alias…

Otherwise, I have doubts about the formula.

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

When I read your Headline “An Olympic Sport I Could Do Myself….”, I immediately expected photos of Curling. I mean seriously, a bunch of overweight Scotsmen drinking Whiskey and throwing stones down the ice. Now that’s a sport I could excel at.

Posted by JohnZNYC | Report as abusive

Crap, is that what that sport is? I just thought it was a competition for hairdressers. I need to pay more attention. .

Posted by rbasler | Report as abusive

When I read the title, it reminded me of the push to get Texas Hold’em into the 2004(8?) Olympics.

Posted by drewbie | Report as abusive

It’s the crashes/falling. And snickering at the comedy names of the foreigners. I refer you to the two Austrian brothers in the luge…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Well, actually I think the Austrain skater has decent thighs…. mucho better than the skinny VS models…
Anyone agree? Helllo??

I do agree Shra. The VS models legs are way too skinny. I find nothing wrong with the Austrian skaters legs. Nothing wrong with being a little thicker. Ya know they are nice and toned anyway, so it’s all good. :)

Ah what a way to start the day.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You just started your day??? When my day is half gone… say, life must be good on that long island of yours… ofcourse, not taking into account the obvious time difference….

Eh life is pretty mundane over here. The island might be long but it’s short on excitment. And yeah, the time difference kinda mucks things all up. I get to work you are already taking break. I take break you are leaving for the day. I leave for the day, you are heading off to bed. Or something to that effect. It’s like you are in the future and I am in the past.

I think there was a movie about that. A house and a lake and a mailbox were invovled. Or something.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I should probably have specified that I meant “hell of a set of thighs” in an approving way…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

her facial expression is so hilarious..ones tragedy is really another people’s comedy..LOL

Posted by iknow_ampretty | Report as abusive

You probably should have, CrowGirl.. :)