Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Uh-oh, that don’t sound like a yodel…

February 19, 2010

Blog Guy, I saw a reference in a Vancouver Olympics story to Men’s Downhill Skiing as being the most dangerous sport at the Games. Could that be true? I mean, I know accidents happen, but there are other very dangerous events.

OLYMPICS-ALPINE SKIING/

You would normally be right, except for the recent discovery of a pack of wild lynx living in the mountains near the Men’s Downhill finish line. That kind of automatically raises the danger level a few notches.

lynx 2 200Naturally, officials are kind of hoping the skiers won’t find out.

Wow! I had no idea! What do lynx eat?

According to Wikipedia, these big, dangerous cats generally feed on deer, foxes, downhill skiers, sheep and goats. If you want to learn more, click on the hyper-lynx.

Have any skiers reported sighting lynx since the athletes began using that course?

Well, I’m sure the Games officials will ask them, as soon as one of them crosses the finish line. Some 240 skiers started down the slope last Tuesday, so any minute now….

Last Tuesday! And they haven’t been heard from at all?

Do blood-curdling screams count?

Top: A lynx crosses the finish area during the first training run for the men’s Downhill race of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics in Whistler, British Columbia, February 10, 2010.

Right: A lynx climbs a hill after crossing the finish area, February 10, 2010.

REUTERS photos by Leonhard Foeger

Comments

E, ya gotta keep better tabs on your cat girl!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That’s cute even for a man like me!

Thanks BG..loved the cat :-)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I say E, is that Etcetra?? You never said a word of you having a lynx when you were inviting us for chilli!!

So THAT’s where he went to!!

At least I’ll save a few bob on cat food for the next few weeks. I doubt he’ll be hungry after this feast!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I find it both fascinating and brilliant that you named your cat Etcetra.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Thanks ifly. A more perfect name I couldn’t imagine, and a more perfect cat I couldn’t have. Baz and Shra could tell ya what a handsome, sweet, adorable, cute and fun cat he really is.

I wuv my kitty!!!

<3 <3 <3

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

You know, most ski resorts spend a lot of money on ski patrols and onsite medics to care for the lame, sick and injured.
Not those pragmatic Canadians – they just let the wildlife take care of those injured skiers, a far cheaper and more ‘green’ option.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

It’s just such an original name and that is what makes it awesome. And from the picture he certainly looks cuddly. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

My “real” handle is wildcatherder but I wouldn’t want to surprise a lynx by coming downhill at 40 miles an hour. I actually did turn a corner and see a cougar on a California hiking trail. It was less than 50 feet away. I made a very quiet U-turn.

Posted by strangename | Report as abusive

I live in a suburb of Buffalo NY and in the past year we’ve had to relocate bears, coyotes, and bobcats that were making devil in the area. One bear got trapped in a service area of a town house complex and had to be put down by a policeman. This was about a 1/4 mile from where we live. Haven’t seen a feral cat in 10 years since the coyotes moved in. Can’t allow young children to play outdoors anymore. We’ve had deers crash through patio doors and picture windows with regularity. Officials cull every 3 years but deer still abound causing numerous accidents with cars. One fellow I worked with hit a deer on a Monday, totaled his car. Wife hit one on Wednesday, totaled her SUV. Almost same spot.

Posted by Raster44 | Report as abusive

So much wildlife where you guys live…. I only get to see pigeons and the occasional robins… yes, spring may be coming soon… :)

Shra, that’s why they still call it the wild west…

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

unca, in answer to your question, I call my cat Etcetera, but also whatever else comes to mind like ‘handsome lad’, ‘clever boy’, ‘sweetums’, ‘little man’…even though he’s deaf, I’m sure he knows what I’m saying :D

Danger Kitty is a great name. I bet when she meets other cats the conversation goes like this:

Strange Cat: Meow! You’re on my turf! What’s your name?
DK: I’m Danger Kitty. You don’t want to mess with me.
Strange Cat: Danger Kitty? I’ve heard of you. Here…want some of my catnip? I have a nice little nest over here you can use if you’re tired. Wanna play with my toys?
DK: Thanks, I think I will. What’s your name?
Strange Cat: Princess Fluffy.

Ya see my point?

Being deaf Etcetera is an indoor cat. Doesn’t stop him meowing at the kitty in the mirror though!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Ha ha ha…. yeah I know.. my dog used to do that when he was a pup… bark at his own reflection… it was hilarious…

“I’m meowing at the kitty in the mirror..
I’m asking him to change his ways!
And no message coulda been any clearer..
If ya wanna make the world at better place, take a look at yourself and make that change!”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I don’t mind him meowing at himself…except when he does it at 3.30 in the morning. It never fails. Every morning at 3.30 he gets up, jumps off the bed and starts meowing. And it ain’t quiet meowing either, I just hope the neighbours can’t hear him!

Shra, what kind of dog do you have?

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I have a Spitz, E… I always did think he looked foxy… then I realised its not my meds.. but he actually comes from a line of wolves… :)

Those were nice shiny flying machines!!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive