Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Roy, hand me that user’s manual for a sec!

February 27, 2010
SRILANKA/

Blog Guy, whatever happened to those fantasy photos you used to set up at the request of your readers?

jackhammer crop 200I still do them, but they have to be really challenging or they just don’t interest me. Make it good.

Well, like many of your readers I have trouble telling the cartoon world apart from the real world.

Boy, I’ve been there!

I saw a Daffy Duck cartoon years ago where Daffy played a road worker with a jackhammer. He had to balance himself against a rock wall and hold the jackhammer with his feet, see, and then…

I know that one! Then Daffy’s hand slips and he and the jackhammer go boing-boing-boing-boing down the road and the other workers have to scramble out of the way, and then they bounce into a fine china shop, and stuff is getting smashed….

Yes! I can’t believe you’ve seen it. Can you recreate it in real life?

Can I? I’m ordering the jackhammer and a shop full of expensive china right now! This is why I LOVE my job!

A laborer balances himself on a rock wall as he uses his feet to guide a jackhammer at a quarry in the town of Kaduwela, east of Colombo, February 26, 2010. REUTERS/Andrew Caballero-Reynolds

Comments

I knew that the Acme Pogo stick catalog seemed shaky…

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

If this worker were a surgeon, would he be a foot doctor?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

That’s cool. :)

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

I’ve heard of this guy. He used to work as a cook in a restaurant that bragged its food was “untouched by human hands.” Poor man, this is his third career. He was booted out of the military because he had flat hands.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I wanna know what’s below the picture that tells him this is the right way to use a jackhammer.

Posted by ChristonJP | Report as abusive

Whilst I’m willing to admit that we’ve all cable tied the ‘on’ lever of a pnuematic drill to the handle so that we can use it one handed in awkward places, I really don’t see how balancing on it with your feet is going to make the job any easier. Unless you need your arms to catch a rope when what you’re jackhammering collapses under you.

Also, Bob, you need to have words with Mr Caption Writing Man – that REALLY isn’t a sledgehammer…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

You’re absolutely right, CrowGirl. I pointed that out to our photo department yesterday, then forgot to change it myself. I just did.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

man o man…

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Spider-man had to pick up a weekend job since superheroing just wasn’t paying the bills.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You know something…. whatever you say…. I dont want to be there when whatever he is drilling into, falls… And Unca… have to tase you for educating us… just have to do it!!

Surely a sledge hammer is the one that the uses to sledge down the hill when he slips. ;)

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

The reason you use a jackhammer this way is becuase it spits up hot, busted-up bits of stone at high velocity, so when you stand next to it in your bare feet and legs, they can get cut-up pretty badly, and you can easily lose a toe, or even a foot.
And becuase you’re an idiot.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive