Get out the marshmallows, it’s time for the Olympics!

March 1, 2010

Blog Guy, at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, it seems like the Olympic Flame was under-played. You know, they used to carry a torch all the way around the world, and it was a big deal.

olympics flame combo 490

I agree with you. This year, some guy just sat there and talked into a phone, and then flames came out of an electric gizmo.

How high up did the flames shoot, anyway?

olympics flame crop 260Maybe a foot, foot and a half. It looked like the Dasani bottled water people sponsored it.

What kind of electrical contraption WAS that?

It might have been a Williams-Sonoma Home Winter Olympics Flame Lighter and Marshmallow Toaster, $299.95. It’ll  be in their next catalog.

But if you don’t know for sure that’s what it is, how do you know what it costs?

Call me crazy, but  if they want $299.95 for a slow cooker, it just seems logical that’s what they’d charge for this Winter Olympics Flame Lighter and Marshmallow Toaster. Pretty expensive, considering you’d only use it every four years.

True, Blog Guy, but then that’s still more often than you use a slow cooker.

An official looks at a piece of electrical equipment that caught fire in the media tribune of the venue for the short track speed skating event during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, February 26, 2010. REUTERS/David Gray

Where are the marshmallows?

Fire is niiiiiicccccceeeee. :)

I own a slow cooker and can make some pretty good beef stew in it. I attempted chili but that comes out much better when it’s simmered on an oven. Otherwise I just George Foreman grill the hell outta everything.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

$299.95 for a slow-cooker? It’d had better do more than just heat up – maybe a little foot massage (which we need after those shoes in the last post!)

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Well, yeah Bethy, I guess while you’re cooking your vegetable soup you could stick your feet in there, too, but it kinda depends on how casual your family is….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

In photo 1, the official is calling all his official-buddies and telling them to bring marshmellows, chocolate, and Gram crackers. :D

“Get over here quick everybody! We’re gonna make s’mores!”

Posted by Doppelganger | Report as abusive

Photo one – “Hey Bob! Better get the Fire department here pretty quick, eh?”
Photo two – thinks ‘Oh Jeez! did I leave the maple syrup boiling on the stove?’
Photo three – the spirit of competition is clearly evident in Vancouver, or something.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Hey, don’t knock those big fancy cookers–they can do a lot more than simmer your chicken fricassee (ick). You can bathe a small dog or hamster in them, mix paint, wash your socks, fill with ice to chill your beer, and of course fill with dirt to grow your (medical) marijuana.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

Hey Slick, a small dog? The $300 Williams-Sonoma model will bathe a golden retriever….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

$300 or a slow cooker?! I got mine at a yard sale for $5 (to be fair, it’s a Montgomery Ward slow cooker that was never out of the box). For $300, a slow cooker better cook food AND cure my allergies.

Posted by kgolden1 | Report as abusive

I stole my slow cooker from my parents.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Unca, it is not necessarily illegal to shout fire in a theater (especially if there is a fire in the theater).

The U.S. Supreme Court has held that governmental agencies may ban certain speech, despite the the freedom-of-speech clause in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The classic example is that freedom of speech does not bestow a right to create dangerous circumstances by falsely shouting fire in a crowded moviehouse. Thus, the Supreme Court held that governmental agencies may outlaw falsely shouting “fire” in a crowded movie house.

It remains to be seen whether freedom of speech would protect a person who causes a dangerous stampede of firefighters by shouting “movie” in a crowded firehouse.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I just learned something.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

hehe he’s scared… just put foam on it :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

And for that.. You are zapped Doc… and you too.. Mr.Pilot.. for acknowledging that you learnt something…
And slow cookers…. well.. I have been around them all mah life… and they never so freaking expensive!

Where do I sign up for my taser training?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Heh…kinda tickles…

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Sowwie… the zapper is exclusively for my use… for other trainings, please contact Mr. R.C. Basler…
And Mr.Pilot… zapping is serious! do not laugh when I am zapping the palm of your foot.. Stand still please!!!!

You learn to love the zapper…. Now, liquorice, the red kind, is loveable too. The black variety is a whole different story.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

As long as she’s only got it set to tickle-zap, Doc.
And it should be called red whip-shaped flexible candy, that stuff has never seen a liquorice plant in its life.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Sorry can’t help it, it’s all tingly.

Yeah Dr. D., I heard ya don’t mess with the black liquorice. Kinda like good cop/bad cop, the red is a bit of a pushover and really just wants to be your friend while the black stops at nothing to make sure your ass sizzles in the chair!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I havent tried red licorice… the black one has turned me off licorice for life!

[...] A very early version of the Cuisinart, in a 1562 Williams-Sonoma catalog. Like everything else, it cost [...]