You’re naked behind those white bars!

March 1, 2010

My usual policy is not to blog about Spencer Tunick, that “artist” who goes around the world shooting photos of buck-naked crowds, often in front of landmarks like the Sydney Opera House.

tunick sydney censor crop this

I avoid his stuff because a) it’s been done so often that I don’t consider it news any longer and b) it ties up my assistant all weekend long, adding those white bars that protect my readers from breast blindness, etc. Imagine my overtime bill for sanitizing these photos here.

AUSTRALIA/But anyway, I’m making an exception today because I noticed that in the captions we call these people “Naked volunteers.”

In fact, we repeat that phrase for all TWENTY-FIVE news photos we filed from the Sydney shoot, so I guess it must be useful reader information.

“Whew! Look Margie, it says here they’re just VOLUNTEERS! It turns out the government ISN’T force-marching people out to the Opera House and making them strip, like we heard.

“Guess we can turn on the lights and move this heavy table away from the front door now…”

Naked volunteers pose for U.S. artist Spencer Tunick in front of the Sydney Opera House, March 1, 2010. Organizers estimate 5,200 people posed for the early morning nude photo installation. REUTERS/Tim Wimborne

Here’s a closeup of some big boobs for your readers …

enjoy ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

[...] You're naked behind those white bars! | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters [...]

I’m always interested in his art, because invariably there is s photo with Spencer Tunick giving ‘instuctions?’ to the nudies, in which he is completely dressed or overdressed.

Hey! There’s Little Miss Random, I recognize those mugs even with bars across them.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Some of those guys have awfully large bars … I suspect aritificial bar enhancement.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Are you suffering from bar envy justCAM?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Before I comment, I would like to ask what is his “art” supposed to represent? Is it supposed to have some deeper meaning than just naked people standing in front of landmarks… or does he just get his “camera” off on seeing a bunch of naked people standing around?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

knit_nurse … LOL! Yes, I wish my bar was that big! ;-)

(insert your imagination here)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Sometimes my photo assistant just puts those big bars on guys she feels sorry for.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

It still beats some of those “fashion” shows you’ve posted for us.

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

How many people do I have to get naked in front of the camera before it counts as a “photo installation” rather than “specialist” pictures ?!

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

42, CrowGirl….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I will volunteer for ya CrowGirl.

Just tell your photo assistant to be nice with the white bar for me ok Mr. B.?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Wait, so you can leave the video uncensored, but you MUST censor photos?

Posted by SkimpyDog | Report as abusive

This looked more like a mass orgy to me

Posted by SkimpyDog | Report as abusive

[...] You're naked behind those white bars! | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters7 hours ago by Robert Basler  It ties up my assistant all weekend long, adding those white bars that protect my readers from breast blindness, etc. Imagine my overtime bill for sanitizing these photos here. – [ ] [...]

Why would you NOT love spencer’s work ;-)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

This so reminds me of my time in Madrid…. naked cyclists around the Palace…. and my friends clicking away to glory… I bet they didnt know they were following Spencer Tunick… ;)

I think you may have misunderstood the word orgy, Skimpy.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

fwd079…if his work only included hot, young, beautiful, women who cause blindess with their boobies then yes, I would love his work immensly. But there are dudes mixed in there. A lot of dudes.

So yeah.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Baz, I used to envy your secretary. I used to think ‘wow, that would be such a great job, to work for Baz and bask in his blinding wit and sarcasm and get paid for it too’.

Yeah. *cough* Used to.

;)

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

E, I still pity the poor girl…

And Mr. T. pities the fool…

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

[...] Il accapare tout mon assistant long week-end, en ajoutant ces barres blanches qui protègent mes lecteurs de la cécité du sein, etc Imaginez ma facture des heures supplémentaires pour la désinfection de ces photos ici. URL article original: http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/03/01/youre-naked-behind-those-white- bars/ [...]

[...] 8. You’re naked behind those white bars! [...]