Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Police help fight Mister Tooth Decay

March 5, 2010

Blog Guy, I want to teach my family to cut back on the water we use. Do you have any figures on how much water it takes to, say, have a shower.

Sure. A shower takes two gallons of water a minute, so you should make it a quick one.

INDONESIA-POLITICS/

And a bath?

COLOMBIA/That’s a huge 50 gallons. If you put bricks in your bathtub so it fills up faster that helps, but you may experience cuts and scratches.

I see. And what about brushing our teeth?

That’s a whopping 860 gallons of water, as you can see in this photo. But it’s worth it for good dental hygiene.

Hold on, Blog Guy. No wonder it uses that much water. That dude is brushing his teeth in the spray from a WATER CANNON.

toothbrush crop 260Right. Dentists recommend it. The intense water pressure helps remove plaque, tartar, loose fillings and sometimes lips. If your gums don’t stop bleeding after three days, consult a physician.

Sigh. Okay, and how can we save water by using our toilet less?

Eat lots of bananas, cheese and rice to bind up your stomach for a few days, maybe a week. Also, avoid watching TV shows about fountains and waterfalls, and you can go days without using a toilet.

Blog Guy,  I think you’re an idiot…

Oh, excuse me, the cops are chasing protesters down my street with a water cannon. Time to brush!

Top: A student pretends to brush his teeth as police use water cannons to disperse protesters outside the parliament building in Jakarta, March 2, 2010, where the parliamentary inquiry committee’s recommendations over the Bank Century rescue is being held. REUTERS/Beawiharta

Right: A police riot vehicle uses a water cannon to break up demonstrators during a strike in Bogota, March 2, 2010. REUTERS/Fredy Builes

Comments

You know…. I think I am already in a whoosh… umm.. i mean… whooze….

At least this reader didn’t call you an incredible boob.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Which reader and who again, Mr.Pilot?

“Denial” has new meanings.. LOL :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

“Luke, I am your Dentist.”

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

The caption says “pretends” to brush his teeth. Looks to me like he is really doing it. Is this like “alleged” terrorist and that other PC crap?

Posted by T54 | Report as abusive

Brushing your teeth more than twice a week causes gum disease. Just ask all the people who brush their teeth three times a week.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

If you get all of your teeth blasted out by the water pressure, they cannot require fillings. Problem solved.

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

PS – and Bob, I must say, you really have that toilet humor down, don’t you? Eugene would be proud …

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

He already is BethyB… he already is!

So as long as I stay in the bath for more than 25 minutes, I’m actually saving water… Cool.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Shra, please refer to the “Fatty pork and rotten eggs for lunch?” blog where some reader called Mr. B. an incredible boob. It is an unfortunate example of how vicious some people can be.

And it really all comes down to preference in toothbrush really. I mean you have a choice between soft, medium, and hard. Then there is all the nonsense of getting the angled bristles, the little nubs to help massage the bacteria off your tongue, and so on and so forth. Sometimes I get the feeling I would be better off not having teeth.

Then I see a nice juicy steak.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

My two German Shepherds are so funny. They associate brushing and flossing with going outside. Every morning when I brush my teeth, they get excited and ask (with their looks) whether they are going get to go outside. When I pull out the dental floss, they seem to believe the answer is yes. When they hear the floss, they run for the back door and do the pretzel dance until I let them outside.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Doc, if you didn’t have your dogs, could you brush your teeth? Who would nag you? Cause and effect, effect and cause … such a fine line …

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

My dogs have trained me quite well, Bethy. When they give me their “Outside?” looks, I feel compelled to floss.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

What a funny and interesting post! It gives bits of information just as it entertains the readers. Could be kinda ridiculous, but hey, at least your still following dentists in orange advice to brush your teeth regularly, or as water cannons turn on… :))

Posted by samwalker | Report as abusive