Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Did you get to the part about the wipers?

March 8, 2010

BELARUS/

Blog Guy, check out this bizarre photo. What do you suppose is going on here?

Uh-oh. This looks bad. Really bad. Has anybody else seen this picture?

minsk crop 260Um, probably millions of people. Why?

If I had to guess, I’d say this is a top-secret consumer group testing the new Apple iPads. These things are supposed to be in stores on April 3, but it looks like there may still be glitches.

Wait a minute, Blog Guy, I have to think an Apple product is gonna perform better than this, a month away from launch.

You’re right. You know what, I bet this is a consumer focus group trying to read the new Toyota Owner’s Manual!

That makes a lot more sense, Blog Guy. I’m sure that’s it. Those poor sad slobs, they never had a chance….

Servicemen of the Belarussian Interior Ministry’s special unit demonstrate their skills during a show in Minsk, February 28, 2010. REUTERS/Vasily Fedosenko

Comments

Great Scott!!! The Belarus special forces have perfected a technique for causing items to burst into flames just by staring at them? Does the Pentagon know about this?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

@Dave: LOLzzzz

I guess they got tired of feeling cold and left out :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

And what exactly is the skill here???

Shra, the skill is to manage fire with your bare hands, especially in a country where winter is known to be harsh and bloody cold!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

So they burn stuff and then their shirts fall off…so hot. Hehe.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Now I have the ‘Macho Man’ song stuck in my head. Thanks Baz.

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Could be worse. Could be the Toyota advertising jingle….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I am having a “Beavis and Butt-head” flashback here…
Heh heh heh..fire is cool..heh heh….

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

They kinda look like flaming pizza boxes to me. Must be some nasty pizza. Maybe big, flaming Scrabble pieces?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Just wait’ll Shra sees the shoe item I just posted. She’ll be thrilled!

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

The U.S. Marines eat live scorpions and bite the heads of snakes and drink their blood, to show how tough they are.
The Belarussian forces hold burning pizza boxes. Because as we know, survival training for combat conditions is important, and heaven only knows how many Dominoes Pizza stores catch fire in war zones every day.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

Regardless of whatever the heck’s going on; it’s a very pretty photo. Full marks to Mr. Fedosenko.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

This is just another silly demonstration of the Russian бронзовое лицо, “Bronze Face,” which is something like the American “poker face,” only taken to the nth degree. In American slang, such people are often called “zombies.”

To be strong and masculine is to conceal all pain, all emotion. It is supposed to be a sign of discipline. I’m confident that children will someday call the lad on the far right “Old Man Bronze.” He seems to have crawled up his own butt and died. The lad on the left without a shirt? He may turn out to be a living, breathing person, rather than a zombie.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Fire is pretty..the way it waves and dances.

My cousin and I would light bonfires at his parents lakehouse when we were kids. I would sit for hours just staring at the fire hypnotized by the flames.

And then the flames died leaving the glowing red embers…

For me, that’s tranquility.

:::sigh:::

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Basler…. you are so finished..

Unca – Okay… It’s in focus all the way down the picture, yet it’s still got a focal point in the wafty hands. It’s almost black and white, except for the fire, it’s got a whole audience in the background, who also conform to the shading of the foreground. It has poise, it has balance, it has movement, it has detail.

That’s not so much what the word pretty means to me; that’s more why I think that photo is pretty. I could go on, but it would involve technical gubbins with F stops and all. I can, if you like. ‘s a shiny photo though, no ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Um, I should step in here and tell everyone that CrowGirl has done hard time for arson. But she’s paid her debt to society, and we welcome her in our midst.

KnitNurse, please go through her purse and check for matches…..

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

On the one hand, Mr B, I admire your research skills. On the other, I’m disappointed by them. I don’t own a ‘purse’ (which I assume is American for handbag).

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I’m also amazed that you think Crowgirl needs matches to start a fire.

And for the record I think I have started more fires this year. :)

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

That sounds about right. Our expensive audience demographic research says my blog appeals to pyromaniacs, sociopaths, grave robbers, drill instructors and insurance salesmen.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

KN, only ‘cos you’re a wuss who can’t stand the cold !

Unc, I haven’t gone digital yet, I’m sticking with my F3.

And Mr B, 3 out of 5 ain’t bad. Possibly 2. It depends on your definition of “grave”…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Just as I suspected, you DO sell insurance!

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I think this is the punishment they have to undergo for not learning their alphabets…. now you would think that they would know how to read…. but i guess the military doesnt think so….