They’re even more tasteless than I am!

March 12, 2010

Those of us who make a modest living from the absurd, the ironic and the tasteless cannot sit back and watch other people run such things into the ground. I made the same point recently, when televangelist Pat Robertson hurtled totally off the absurdity scale in his comments about Haiti’s pact with the devil.

assassination combo 490

Here we go again. Do the images above look familiar? They are supposed to remind you of the footage we saw in January, of an alleged Israeli assassination team that killed a senior Hamas commander in Dubai.

mossad grab vertical 200But here’s the thing. These are just Israeli actors dressed up as the hit squad, making a supermarket commercial.

Apparently the ad agency is intentionally evoking those images, creating the commercial along a theme of “shooting down” prices. I swear I am not making this up.

This seems to me to be a level of tastelessness WAY beyond what I aim for in this blog, and it could backfire badly.

Has it occurred to the ad agency geniuses that if some guy is sitting around packing explosives in a vest trying to choose a target, and this commercial comes on….

Well, I won’t finish that thought, I’ll just say I can’t compete with this. Maybe it’s time for me to get a job selling lunch meat door to door.

Top combo: Israeli actors dressed up as members of a hit squad take part in the filming of a commercial for a supermarket in Petah Tikva near Tel Aviv March 10, 2010. An Israeli ad agency, using images that evoke footage released by Dubai police after the January assassination of senior Hamas commander Mahmoud al-Mabhouh assassination, filmed on Wednesday a television commercial aimed at promoting the “shooting down” of prices. REUTERS/Amir Cohen

Below: Screen grabs of video footage

Ok…. I hadn’t heard about either the Pat Robertson thing or this. I really need to spend more time here.

Posted by Bandage | Report as abusive

Bandage, welcome back!

Robert, it’s cases like these that have inspired me to put in my wall a phrase by Einstein: “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.”

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Nope… I am not goinna think…. I am off to the land of the Danes, my lovelies…. so, no weekend blogging..
Basler, stop leaving me threatening messages….

Daneland?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

justM … True that! Idiots are quite creative. At least that’s what everyone keeps saying to me.

Shra … you cannot escape the OE lair. BTW – what shoes are you wearing? (She can’t resist a shoe comment!)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Can’t say I know anything about any assination team so I can’t comment on that.

Quite a somber tone to the blog though, not a good way to roll into the weekend! Dumb classless advirtising scum.. ruin our day.

Daneland…if I may offer a suggestion. Perhaps it is a land of dogs of great size?

Have a good weekend in Daneland Shra! Be ever vigilant of landminds, you don’t want to mess your shoes! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Are you nuts, Pilot? You really think I’d let that be the last one before the weekend? Check it out:
The mother of all wardrobe malfunctions? http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/03/12/the-mother-of-all-wardrobe-malf unctions/ #lists

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

“Are you nuts, Pilot?”

Is that a rhetorical question Mr. B.? :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

[...] Excerpt from:  They're even more tasteless than I am! | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters [...]

That’s what you get when you try to imitate the Austin Powers look.

Posted by Ghandiolfini | Report as abusive

And I am back!! Well, Mr.Pilot… its not the land of dogs… though I must say… I think I saw quite a few varied breeds of dogs…. including a chihuahua sitting inside her jacket… so much so that it looked as if her breasts have sprouted a doggy head… Oh and yes, I did buy myself a gorgeous pair of heels…. And what are “landminds”????
Basler, I like the fact that you listen to me… well.. atleast sometimes!!

That’s just silly :-|

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

This could only be made more tasteless by the actors using the forged passports of Jade Goody and Heath Ledger.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Where did my post go? I wrote it this morning and it’s not here. I don’t get it Mr. B., I sent you a post letting you know that my post was on it’s way. Am I gonna have to put a stop-posting on the old post then re-issue the post? I hope there is not a fee on that cause I have been posting here for a while now so I shouldn’t have to pay any fees. I wanna talk to your manager!!

:::sigh::: I need a new job.

@Shra
Since my other post didn’t make it I shall re-state… “Landmines” and little piles of dog poo that if you don’t watch out for will mess your new gorgeous pair of heels.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I dunno, Pilot, I didn’t block anything from you this morning, though after some thought I did decline to approve your one about the grenade posting.

I’ve even checked my spam filter, and nothing. It tends to siphon off comments that are very long, so I find a lot of Unca’s stuff there days later. But nothing of yours.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Now I want to know what Mr Pilot said about grenades. Care to post it as an FB status Mr Pilot ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I would CrowGirl but I do not recall saying anything about grenades. So now I am confused.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That is just rude, Basler!!! You apologise to your Unca right now, you rude boy!