Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

It’s like Grand Central Station in here!

March 15, 2010

Blog Guy, I have to tell you I’m getting sick and tired of commuting, especially the 45-minute drive just to get to the train! I’m at my wit’s end. Are there any alternatives?

FRANCE/

Yes. A growing number of commuters are giving up their houses, and renting living space at train and subway stops, as you can see here at the home of Herb and Bonnie Portmore, who now call a Paris metro station home.

How can they live like that? Do they like it?

FRANCE/Well, they do admit it was hard to arrange their furniture with tracks in-between, and that their new lifestyle has a few more drop-in guests than they’d like….

But the upside is, they’ve saved lots of money by not needing curtains or lawn care, and they haven’t been late for work since they moved in.

Amazing! Do they live by themselves?

Sadly, yes. Bonnie’s late brother was living with them, but he got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and what with the electrified third rail and everything….

Ouch! You know, actually I’m supposed to go to Herb and Bonnie’s for dinner on Saturday. What sort of gift do you take to people who live in a subway?

Oh, just a small token….

A commuter sits on a couch at a metro station in Paris March 10, 2010. A home furnishing company placed its products along a central Parisian metro platform on Wednesday as an advertisement. REUTERS/Thomas White

Comments

Somewhere and Paris fashion designer just got a bright idea…. the next great fashion line, subway rat! Or maybe I shall make it my own design, launch the line, and make millions! Then when I do I will buy all the loyal OE commenters their favorite things.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

You can also be sure that you dinner conversation will stay on track. They must have a great place for conducting personal business.

Posted by Bandage | Report as abusive

… Monday. Bleh. This blog keeps me awake Mondays…

Posted by Db8r | Report as abusive

Though i think they would get quite a crowd during rush hour…

Hmm, taking the Metro in Paris. I could never find an empty seat to wait for the next train. Where is everybody? :? ?

ifly, I shall be keeping my fingers crossed for you! When do you want my list of favourite things?

;)

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Sheesh! All those uninvited guests turning up at all hours, falling-down drunk.
It’s like being back in college – now, who brought the keg?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

A red sofa and a peach chintz sofa next to each other, it shouldn’t be allowed. What were they thinking?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Herb and Bonny could graciously invite the train-waiters to sit down, and whilst making sparkling conversation, they could surreptitiously remove wallets and petty cash from their guests’ purses and pockets.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Baz…I see what you’ve done. Nice! Still haunted eh?

;)

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

It would appear so, E…..

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I don’t blame ya Baz, sometimes these things just get under your skin.

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Baz is haunted???? Yeah!!! I would so like to shake hands with that ghost or poltergeist or human or whatever it is!!!!

E, don’t mention things getting under your skin in the same phrase as the Paris subway, please!!! If you’ve ever caught the rush hour down there, especially in early spring or mid-summer, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about!! Yikes!!!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Know what you mean, M…. I had a very interesting incident happen to me at the Underground at Notre Dame…
A drunk fat fellow tried squeezing in after me (he didnt have a ticket and was not fit enough to jump the turnstiles) when I swiped my ticket and the turnstiles turned… Obviously… you know what happened next… He was howling and cursing in French… I stood stunned for a min and then said “F Off” and walked coolly away…. :)

I was last in Paris in April 3? years ago, during the demonstrations/riots. One night at twilight, I was walking toward the Seine from Notre Dame, when an American youth approached me and asked me how to get to Notre Dame. I pointed it out, and said: “I wouldn’t go there now, there’s a crowd of demonstrators gathering and it looks like it could get ugly.” He replied: “I know. I’m going there for the demonstration.”

I wonder whatever happened to the chap.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive