Wait by your mailbox, Resident!

March 15, 2010

Blog Guy, I bet you get a lot of stupid stuff in the mail…

Do I! Just today. I got a stupid personal letter from Robert Groves, Director of the U.S. Census Bureau. He’s the dude waving in the dogsled here.

USA-CENSUS/ALASKA

A personal letter?

Well, he called me “Dear Resident,” which is what my friends call me, so I consider it personal.

You said the letter was stupid. The census is very important, so if they sent your form, you should cooperate.

USA-CENSUS/ALASKAI agree. But this wasn’t the form. It was only a letter telling me that I will RECEIVE the form “about one week from now” and that then I should fill it out and return it. Basically, it was mail telling me to watch out for more mail.

So today’s letter accomplished nothing, Blog Guy?

I wouldn’t say that. I got to see my tax dollars at work. I mean, if I got one of these “You’re going to get some mail” letters, then they probably sent out dozens of them. Maybe even hundreds.

census grab

Above: U.S. Census Bureau Director Robert M. Groves gets a ride in a dogsled from the Noorvik airstrip into the remote Inupiat Eskimo village in Northwestern Alaska in a January 25, 2010 handout. REUTERS/Al Grillo/U.S. Census Bureau

Left: Groves walks out of the home of eighty-nine year-old village elder and World War II veteran Clifton Jackson in Noorvik, Alaska in a January 25, 2010 handout. Jackson became the first citizen in the nation to be enumerated for the 2010 Census. REUTERS/Al Grillo/U.S. Census Bureau

I wonder. If everyone is supposed to be counted, and everyone gets a letter saying they will be getting a letter….did Mr. Groves send a letter to himself?

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I see the U.S. Government have cut back on the transportation they provide to senior officials. Last census he had a Hummer and a complete armed escort to go with it. Now he’s down to a dog sled and a back-up, for the shopping.
At least he still gets to take home a bag of ‘America’s Funniest Census Returns’ each night, to read to his kids at bedtime.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Odd that it took 2 teams of sled dogs and handlers to take this Groves guy to the home of a person who has a pickup truck and an ATV outside his house; it’s not as if this resident lived in an unaccessible area.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Bureaucracy, what would we do without it?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Ah, I see that your good friend stinted on you, blog guy! I got two such letters myself!

Posted by Gwai | Report as abusive

D’oh! DAMN you, Bob Groves!!

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I recently saw an article about how the U.S. Post Office is getting a drop in letters carried for the first time.
Maybe this is a little bit of inter-departmental back scratching to get the Postal Service numbers up?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Be careful lest you censured by the censors for your insensitive opinions on the census.

Posted by Bandage | Report as abusive

Wow Billl good eyes!! I was all like “pickup, where the hell is a pickup?” I thought you were having a medidonut induced halucination.. or at the very least have been to that guys house before. But there is it.. a white pickup mostly buried in snow.

If I ever need to find Waldo I am gonna give you a call!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

And I just gotta…

Robert “Dear Resident” Chuckles Basler the Incredible Boob.

Oh man, if I ever have a son…….

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Did you know that in Ireland Waldo is called Wally? I know. It’s so…weird!!

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Now wait just a minute, E. In Ireland, everybody named Waldo is called Wally instead? So like it would be Ralph Wally Emerson and stuff like that? That’s hard to believe.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

The census usually gets low return rates. Studies have proven (that’s science, suck on it) that sending out advance letters increases return rates, which saves money and results in a more accurate count.

Wow, imagine–someone in the US government actually trying to do their job right for once and some douche bag with a computer has to go and rip on him with no backing.

Congratulations, douche.

Posted by joeshmoe | Report as abusive

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by rbasler: Wait by your mailbox, Resident! http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/03/15/wait-by-your-mailbox-resident/ #census…

I just have to zap joeshmoe…. Just have too!!!!
Mr. pilot, dont tell me you are gonna name your child after Basler?????

Interesting they started from Alaska…nothing, just interesting.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Now, now, Shra, even the terminally obnoxious are welcome here. Well, okay, give him a jolt, but just one.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Surely Alabama comes before Alaska, fwd.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

@Knit: Now you knew what I mean. :)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Unca,

Of course you got a personally delivered census form. All former Jarheads turned sailor get those, as that’s a very special category.

Shra – lemme get you the heavy-duty zapper for this one. Condescending and calling BG names. Don’t the trolls know that only regular readers (we’re excused because of the medication) get to call BG names?

I’m not sure why, but I have yet to receive my census letter(s). What, just because I live in a cave, I don’t get counted? Geico must be behind this travesty.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Baz, in answer to your question, yes. It’s Ralph Wally Emerson. Or ‘Wallsy’ as people like to call him.

Haha. Yeah, I’m rolling my eyes whilst snickering. There just isn’t a smiley for that.

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I am insured by Geico Dave and let me tell you I am still waiting for my hug!!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

[...] Reuters UK (blog)Caution: Ignoring census form illegal and may hurt your cityTimes Record NewsAll responses are confidential, and answers are protected by law and cannot be shared by anyone. “The Census Bureau takes extreme measures to protect the …The US Census and why you should careChicago Tribune (blog)Census notesThe City WireCensus forms distributed for big countToledo BladeFox 59 -HNN Huntingtonnews.netall 1,066 news articles » [...]

Here in Blighty they teach us the alphabet at an early age, fwd. ;)

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Starting in Alaska makes sense. It’s in the top left, yes ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@Knit: LOL ok :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

[...] not a trouble-maker. I do what I’m told. But  a few days ago I made fun of the U.S. Census people for spending a fortune to send letters telling us our Census forms would arrive soon. I figure [...]

CG, yes. They will finish by Florida an Puerto Rico, as they are bottom right.

Yes, bottom right, not right bottom!!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

American geography is interesting….

You have straight lines for some of your state boundaries; that’s nearly as interesting as it is weird. Well, it is to me, but I’m a map geek.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

CG, that’s why the de facto motto of Pennsylvania is “The first of the big square states!”

Although, many people think that Pennsylvania’s motto should be “Gateway to Ohio”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

[...] | humor | stupid I’m not a trouble-maker. I do what I’m told. But  a few days ago I made fun of the U.S. Census people for spending a fortune to send letters telling us our Census forms would arrive soon. I figure [...]