Bye, bye Miss Canadian pie…

March 16, 2010

Blog Guy, I read that the Canadians are thinking of changing their national anthem, to make it gender-neutral. That sounds extreme. How sexist could their anthem be, anyway?

bumbleberry pie 280You be the judge. Here are the lyrics:

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
Girls in the kitchen, to give their moms a hand,
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
Thee bake thine bumbleberry pies,
From far and wide, O Canada,
We cook and clean for thee

Hold on! I think you just made up that crap about cooking and cleaning and pies yourself.

Yeah, I did. It was easier than transcribing the real words.

CANADA-MOUNTIES/I bet you changed Oh Canada to O Canada, too!

O no I didn’t. That part is true. I guess there’s no H in the Canadian alphabet.

Really? I’m planning a vacation to Canada, so that’s very useful travel advice. Are there any good Canadian hotels?

Probably, but remember, up there I guess they call them “otels.”

Top: A bumbleberry pie

Bottom: Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers in a 2005 file photo. REUTERS/Shaun Best

Oh, that’s why, the last time I was in Canada, Canadians kept telling me to “Get the H. out of here.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

That pie made me hungry…. again….

[...] Read the original: Bye, bye Miss Canadian pie… | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters [...]

Was there a feature article in “The Beaver” regarding this change? I’d think everyone in Beaverlanada would NEED to know about these shocking developments.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Baz…I am so disappointed in you. You did know I’m an ex-pat Canadian right?

Right?

So posting a picture of bumbleberry pie wasn’t very nice. Do you know how homesick I am now? Crying my eyes out I am.

E.

PS> Canadians, even international ones like me, rose up in protest so much that the government (so-called) backed down. Our anthem is just fine the way it is thank you very much! Speaking of thanks, it’s the Irish who don’t have an ‘H’ ;)

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

[...] Bye, bye Miss Canadian pie… | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters [...]

And here I thought all Americans disliked H but truly despised U (I have no idea which version of English the Canadians use, but us Aussies love them nonetheless).

After all, Americans ignore the H in words such as herb, and done away with a whole bunch of Us – honour, labour. And S! What’s with putting Z in instead of S?

Damn letterists!

Posted by Wyvie | Report as abusive

That’s shoddy lattice work on the pie; I’d have been ashamed to publish the photo.

And Unca, remember; the scythe – too bulky for covert killing.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Unca – hard to put a bayonet on these new-fangled weapons they carry. I just talked about this with a recently retired Soldier who said there were about 3 people in each squad (big Army) who carried a good old-fashioned rifle with a bayonet.

Sorry BG, I know that’s awfully close to learning.

No Shra, drop the taser! Shutting up and retreating to the cave for my morning meds.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Looks like blood pie of Klingons :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

But you just don’t have the same reach with a sickle, CG.
What is a bumbleberry anyway? It sounds like something you would find in the magic faraway tree.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Probably knit_nurse. I would guess it’s in the same arid lands the Snozberries are also.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Dave, the problem with talking about bayonets here is that it will bring the gun nuts back in force, just like that Kalashnikov item a few months ago.

But wait. The page views were huge for that one, which is good. Welcome back, gun nuts!

So Dave, what do you think of that new Remington .65 magnum?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

BG, never use anything in a caliber that starts with a “6″. Trust me on this.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Well as long as that tasty-looking pie is Canada’s official food, and not that dreadful Kraft Dinner stuff, it would be much easier to have a ‘glowing heart’.
O bumbleberry pie, we wait in line for thee.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

One of you lot will know; is the Remington that makes the guns the same one that makes the Fuzz Away ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I am curious Dave, why not?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That would be an interesting gun attachment. :)

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

I like pie…. any pie….. Lemon Pie… :P

Bumbleberry pie, you mean, Ms. Nurse?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Put me down for key lime pie, or else chocolate cream….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Ode to Pie

Pecan Pie I adore.
Pumpkin Pie I adore even more.
Flapper Pie I love too.
Lemon Meringue, mmm yes that too..

Apple Pie is gorgeous.
Bumbleberry beautiful.
Treacle Tart is fabulous.
Chocolate Cream Pie divine.

I love pie with ice cream.
Or Apple Pie and cheese.
I love pie with chocolate sauce.
Or Pie with whipping cream.

Pie for dessert.
Pie for a snack.
Pie for breakfast?
Yes, I’ve done that!

A poem by E.

(This originally started out as a post, then I realised it was turning into a poem. Thanks Baz, you’re insprirational!! I mean…in a good way this time :D)

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Lovely, E. What’s flapper pie?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I am craving pie now…. yummm…. pie….

Did we ever establish what flapper pie is?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Mmmmm Flapper pie!! It’s like a lemon meringue pie only instead of lemon custard, it’s a vanilla custard. And instead of a pie shell, use a graham cracker crumb crust instead.

I guess it’s particular to my parent’s Mennonite/German heritage. But man I’m craving some now! I haven’t had it since I moved to Ireland!!

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Is it pie eaten by fashionable young ladies in the 1920′s or made from penguin wings?

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

It’s not a real lemon pie unless your face tries to turn inside out while you’re eating it. I have an awesome margarita pie recipe…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

The Margarita Pie is from one of my favourite recipe books “cooking with booze”. I’ll send it you over the weekend when I’m more awake…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I vaguely remember your rhubarb, pernod and white chocolate pie being rather fine too, CG, but that was pre-cooking with booze I think.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

“Never rub another mans rhubarb.” Jack Nicholson made an awesome Joker!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

With all due respect, I don’t see how anybody can eat rhubarb. And it isn’t just the taste, either. It looks as though somebody else has already eaten it and brought it back up again….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I love rhubarb especially the pretty pink forced kind. It’s awesome with pork too.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

[...] Is this the same country that changed the name of its venerable history magazine, “The Beaver”,  because of the sexual connotation, and worried that its national anthem was too sexist? [...]

[...] to get away from an unfortunate sexual connotation, and the nation toyed with changing the words of its own national anthem to make it [...]