Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Finally, an animal sport I can enjoy?

March 25, 2010

Blog Guy, you write a lot about strange sports, but you always seem to make fun of them. Maybe you just shouldn’t be a sports writer. Is there ONE odd sport that you really enjoy watching?

RUSSIA/

As a matter of fact, yes. I was just looking at a photo of Kok-boru, a traditional game played in Kyrgyzstan. It appears to involve a horse throwing off a bad rider and dragging him around in the dirt. Now THAT’S sporting!

You’re an imbecile, Blog Guy. Kok-boru is a sport in which horse riders grab a headless goat carcass from the ground in full gallop and try to place it into their opponents’ goal.

RUSSIA/Wait. You mean…

That’s right. The photo you saw was just an accident, The game is mostly moving the headless goat carcass back and forth.

So this isn’t a wonderful game the horses and goats cooked up to punish abusive humans?

Sorry.

Oh Nooooooo! I just spent a fortune for Kok-boru season tickets, plus round trip airfare to Bishkek, and my hotel and meals! It’s all non-refundable!

Well, enjoy your traditional horsemeat sausages and boiled sheep’s head, Blog Guy.

Sigh. I have to get rid of these tickets. Maybe I’ll just go there and look for a scalper.

You should probably be very careful how you translate that word over there, Blog Guy….

A horseman falls from the saddle as he takes part in a Kok-boru, or goat dragging, competition in the capital Bishkek, March 21, 2010. Kok-boru is a traditional Central Asian game which is considered to be Kyrgyzstan’s national sport.

Horsemen take part in a Kok-boru, March 21, 2010.

REUTERS photos by Vladimir Pirogov

Comments

Both unappetising dishes… I would stick to my chicken tikka curry… ummmmm!!!!

Shra, I thought you’d already moved onto Hyderabadi Biryani?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

And Finally! directed me here and I haven’t seen that in ages.. :-(

Good you reminded me, thanks RB. :)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I’ve got a coupla great recipes for goat. Haven’t tried them though and I’m in no rush too!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

The only sport I have any vested interest in is hockey. Let’s go Rangers!!! :)

Fwd…where did you see And Finally!? I haven’t seen that little segment since Reuters redesigned their website. I got a kick outta those videos. Only I think Mr. B. woulda been a good host for it!
With his soothing, dreamy voice that makes all the women act as if they Beatles pulled into their driveway and invited them to tea.

Or so I hear.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Nah there is still time to waste, the world isn’t supposed to end for another two years.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Wow, this has to be one of the most horrifying games ever…except for the one where you leap over babies. Where can I sign up!

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Ah you mention the antichrist as the POTUS Unca.

When is the end of the POTUS….es….first term?

2012… is that a coincedence?

Bummy bum BUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

E, goat is proper tasty, kind of like mutton. I highly recommend it in stews or curries.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

The Mayans seriously miscalculated their Apocolypse then cause gee, it’s not like you bump into Mayans on your way to D&D for your morning cup of coffee.

Some would agree that is more comforting yes. Some go to great pains to lay blame on anything OTHER than themselves.

I see it all the time… it’s mostly why I hate retail. And politics. And Wall Street.

Personally, if I am gonna do something stupid, or screw something up.. be it on purpose or on accident… I want credit for it dammit!!

If anything people will just think I am crazy and give me a nice cozy jacket and allow me to read the OE blog all I want without giving me weird looks.

Plus all the medidonuts I can eat!! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Aw see CrowGirl, I’m not a fan of mutton. Lamb I can do in a stew but wouldn’t be my first choice either. I think I’m living on the wrong island :P .

ifly…I guess it would disappoint you that I’m a Flames fan. Have been ever since I was a kid. When my little brother defected and became an Oilers fan I was devastated!

Now, it’s Friday morning and I brought a plate of sparkly (read sprinkled ;) ) doughnuts for all. Who wants chocolate?!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Serious talking? so not done on a Friday morning… yes!!! I am sitting at my desk, with minimal stuff to do… drinking a cup of hot chocolate.. and cuddle in as best as I can in my new GAP sweatshirt…
Its foggy and raining here… Welcome SPRING!!!

Shra, you can dress casual at work? Lucky duck!! We’re ‘dressy casual’ so I can at least wear jeans.

It’s a little grey here but getting mild. Ah the joys of spring!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I work from home, and most of my dogs and cats don’t care what I wear when I blog.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Or if you wear anything at all eh Baz?

:P ;) :D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

E! Naked blogging goes against the Bloggers Code, and I would never do that.

What some of my readers are wearing when they comment, though, I don’t even want to think about.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@fwd079, thanks buddy I appreciate it! Looks like I have some catching up to do.

@E, mmmmmmm chocolate sparkly donuts. You are too good to us here! It’s ok you are a Calgary fan. If you were an Islanders fan I would have to reconsider things. It’s awesome that you watch hockey to begin with. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

So you don’t want to know about the CatWoman suit I put on when I get home huh? Ok. I won’t mention it.

Ever see the screenshots from Chat Roulette? Some of them are toooo freakin’ funny!!!

I’m kinda giddy this afternoon, if it isn’t obvious already. Friday afternoon and I’m going out tonight. Yeehaw!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

E, get to wear jeans to work on Fridays… and frankly.. apart from my immediate company, no one else bothers what we wear… I wish I could wear jeans all week through… apart from the girly-girl dresses I rarely wear… but that’s when I feel like playing dress up… Unfortunately, not many chances to do that… or should I say fortunately… umm… I cant decide… Pass one of those sparkly choccie medidonuts, would ya? UMM… NOM NOM..!!

The terms comfortable and uncomfortable are subjective when I have sweet sweet medidonuts running through my blood.

Besides a jacket will keep away the chill when the sun goes down and the sky turns gray. Or gray. A rose called any other color would still be red. Cause I say so.

What’s the difference between hay and hey? You guessed it, mutton.

Now that my friend fwd079 has shown me where to find the And Finally videos again I can sit back with ease and watch the lunacy unfold before my medidonut glazed eyes while I dream of Shra playing dress up. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ifly, you get your morning coffee from Dungeons and Dragons ?!

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Dunkin Donuts CrowGirl. We have the unfortunate privilege of having one right across from where I work so it has turned into the morning ritual to get breakfast and coffee from there.

And have yet to run into a Mayan.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

oooooooooooooooooo! Dunkin Donuts is nice…. though not everyday really…

Hands down medidonuts beat out D&D, KK, and TH any day.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive