Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Who ordered the cream of bream?

March 30, 2010

I swear, some days it seems like all I do is settle bets for people. Everybody wants Blog Guy to judge their stupid bar bets, just because I have access to lavish media resources all over the world.

JAPAN/

“Bob,” a reader writes in, “please settle a bet I have with my great-grandmother. In a fight between a sumo wrestler and a fish, who would win?”

That’s an easy one. We set up a match between a sumo grand champion and not one, but TWO red sea breams, and the sumo wrestler beat the snot out of them.

USA/Another reader asks, “Bob, is there any truth to the rumor that supporters of Senator John McCain don’t cast shadows? I have a bet on this with my sister’s dog groomer.”

Yes reader, this photo from a McCain rally clearly shows they DO cast shadows. I believe you’re mixing this up with the fact that they show no reflection in mirrors, which of course IS true.

“Blog Guy” another reader asks, “I bet my haberdasher a ton of money that you didn’t spend more than ten minutes on this post today. I think you just grabbed the first couple of dumb photos you saw, and made up stuff.”

Congratulations reader, this could be your lucky day….

Mongolian-born grand sumo champion Yokozuna Hakuho holds red sea breams as he celebrates with supporters after winning the Spring Grand Sumo Tournament in Osaka, western Japan March 28, 2010. The sea bream is a symbol of good luck in Japan.  REUTERS/Kyodo

Shadows are cast on the ground before the start of a campaign rally for U.S. Senator John McCain at the Pima County Fairgrounds in Tucson, Arizona March 26, 2010. REUTERS/Joshua Lott

Comments

Should I lay a wager as to how many people would comment? I bet… 25 comments… may or may not be from the same person….

@Shra: hmm…you sound fishy, Shra :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

The sea bream is a symbol of good luck in Japan… they must have a bitch of a time carrying those things around on a keychain.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I only have one question…well actually I have many but most aint related to this. Why do they have ducks stuffed in their trousers? Snack for later or is thing far more sinister…I think I am in need of therapy now.

Posted by DemDude1 | Report as abusive

25 comments is a good guess Shra. I’m also guessing our Unca will be responsible for at least half those ;)

I think I’ll have sushi for dinner tonight.

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Hate to ask DemDude1… where did you see the ducks in trousers?

PilotGuy, the problem is not so much the weight but the smell after a couple of days…

Posted by 1M1 | Report as abusive

E, I think I’d settle for your famous soup, just in case the fish happen to be sea breams having been carried around for a while for good luck…

Posted by 1M1 | Report as abusive

Shra, I think it’s safe to wager 25 will be largely surpassed. You’re on… I’ll wager you a dozen Xanax-sprinkled medidoughnuts!

Posted by 1M1 | Report as abusive

Good point 1M1, I guess the luck comes in if you can find anyone who will still want to be around you after a week.

E, you just mentioned one of my top 5 foods! LLLLOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEEE sushi! Love it love it love it love it. Yummy yum yum in my tummy tum tum. Then out my bummy bum bum! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

1M1, you’re welcome to soup! I do make sure when I’m making sushi that the fish is the freshest. But, tonight I’m having Kraft Dinner in a throwback to my youth…it’s been a doozy of a day and I need some comfort!!

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

E, I’m sorry you’ve had a tough day. If it helps, you may roll your eyes all you want….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

He he he he…. Thanks Unca…. M, as you can see, there are only 14 comments on this blog…. time to get me those donuts baby!
E, gorge all you want…. I do that when I am sad… though normally my gorging stops at one burger… coz it may seem that I have a small stomach… everytime I extend the poor thing’s capacity… it just pushes it all right back up!

ifly, I lurve sushi too! Just wish it wasn’t so darn expensive to eat! I love going to a sushi bar but just can’t justfy the expense, so when I’m in the mood I make it myself. It’s just…not the same, you know?

Thank you Baz. I’m rolling my eyes again today as the seems to have been carried over from yesterday.

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I wonder if the fact nobody else has contributed to this post is the result of me sitting here with my fish tied around my neck…

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Mind you, since you can’t get Sea Bream in Switzerland I had to grab a nice rainbow trout

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Well… I am winning the bet… pay up BG!!!

Now, I do wonder what the actual wager will be… Medidoughnuts? Pics of shoes? Pics of Mr. Fab Abs?

Posted by justM | Report as abusive