Luncheon is served in the taffy-teria…

March 31, 2010

taffy combo 490

Blog Guy, I see the foreign ministers from the G8 nations just met up in Canada. I guess with the world situation, they had lots to talk about, right?

Probably, but they didn’t get a chance to communicate much.

taffy combo 260No? Why not?

Because their Canadian hosts served taffy. Maple taffy. After a few bites their teeth were gooey and sticking shut, and they could barely mumble.

By mid-afternoon, fillings were coming loose and unfilled cavities were throbbing. Our own Secretary of State Hillary Clinton couldn’t even get the stick out of her mouth.

Most of the foreign ministers wound up in Canadian dental chairs.

That’s a rotten shame! So they went home empty-handed?

Of course not. They still got to keep their free blue jackets and the official photo.

taffy group 490

Top: U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton eats maple taffy during the G8 foreign ministers’ meeting in Gatineau, Quebec, March 30, 2010.

Middle left: Germany’s Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle eats maple taffy.

Middle right: Canada’s Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon eats maple taffy.

Bottom: (L-R) Japan’s Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada, Britain’s Foreign Secretary David Miliband, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, France’s Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner, Canada’s Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Germany’s Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle, Italy’s Foreign Minister Franco Frattini and EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Catherine Ashton pose for an official photo.

REUTERS photos by Chris Wattie

So will they give us sweet smile and a bitter NO? :-(

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Hmmm, taffy and peanut butter. Should be required fare at all political gatherings.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Taffy…. hmmm…. havent had yet actually…
Though there is a similar thing back home called “chikki”… made of jaggery, peanuts and basically any other edible nut… and it sticks man!!!

Okay, somebody has to ask, so I’ll be the one. Jaggery?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

At the risk of being zapped half to death by Shra, I shall illustrate the present by saying wikipedia offers a very complete and clear explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery

Back home, it would be good old Panela!! Bloody good! This is what our bicycle racers used to chew on back in the early 80 to overtake everyone on the steep mountains in the Tour de France…

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Baz…man, you owe me some gratuitous helicopter pictures. Or at least pictures with some hot fellas (and I mean good looking men, not men sweating because they are hot – I know you too well!)

Why do you owe me you ask? You’ve made me sooooo homesick and it’s already a rotten day for me. You’ve just made it worse with the maple candy that I can’t get here in Ireland.

:( :( :( :(

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

M… I’ll spare you just this once.. and thanks for helping me not to zap myself… :P
BG, hope you got the answer… now.. ahem… whose got taffy?

I’m confused, E. Which do you want me to send you? Maple taffy or hot fellas?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Baz…how about a hot fella in a helicopter delivering me maple taffy? I could settle for that. Tell him I’m working late tonight so I’ll be at the office.

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

oooooooooooooooooooo!!! E, just another fantasy eh? How romantic would it be if your guy picks you up from work after a long tiring day and panders to your every need…
(sighhhhhhhhhhh)

Even I can see how romantic that would be. E! Careful of the helicopter rotors! Stop E, stop! Ooooh, she didn’t even get to taste the taffy….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

And a lovely fantasy it is indeed :D

Instead I have to go home and pander to Etcetera’s every whim.

(Sighhhhhhhh)

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Nuh uh Baz, you can bury me with it and I’ll have it my next life :D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

… and despite the Police holding an identity parade featuring all the suspects, the person who stole the last of the maple taffy could not be positively identified.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

Do you think only the short ones were meant to stand on the block ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive