Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Stuff that annoys me, if I must say so…

March 31, 2010

USA-STARBUCKS/Blog Guy, I know you have opinions. What kind of stuff really irritates you?

Gosh, the usual. War, poverty, the Dutch…

No, let me stop you right there. See, those are the big things that you HAVE to mention. But what about little annoying things in the course of your own daily life?

I’m pretty much a live and let live, roll with the punches sort of dude. Great life, no complaints.

Come on, there must be something, Blog Guy. Dig deeper.

annoy and wisconsin 260Well…

Go on.

I do think those drivers who feel the need to BACK into parking spaces, while I have to wait behind them, those folks should be lined up against a wall and shot.

Now you’re talking, Blog Guy! What else?

Um,  the clerk behind the counter at Starbucks who, after I order my coffee, responds with, “Would you like some pastry with that, sir?”

To me, that guy might just as well be saying, “Sir, you seem to be a HUGE idiot who is too STUPID to realize there’s pastry in this showcase here, you oblivious dumbass.”

And how about those aggravating messages from Facebook pointing out that I haven’t been in touch with some friend for a long time. Isn’t that MY business?

annoy and rex280This really happened. A friend of mine set up an account for her pet dog, and a couple of weeks ago Facebook reminded me that I should “catch up” with Rex, and that since Rex didn’t seem to have many friends, maybe I should suggest some for him. I thought dogs had their OWN friends!

And what’s up with those obnoxious calls from my doctor, dentist, hair stylist, cable installer, restaurant, etc. “reminding” me I have an appointment or reservation?

I had surgery last month and they called the day before to “remind” me of that. Are a lot of people like, “Oh crap! I was supposed to go under the knife today to have a tumor the size of a honeydew melon removed from my neck! I KNEW I forgot something!”

Er, okay blog guy. That’s enough, thanks for sharing…

Wait! I haven’t even gotten to the University of Wisconsin Alumni Association! They don’t call those people “The Badgers” for nothing! And what about…

A customer sits in a Starbucks coffee shop in New York, in a 2007 file photo. REUTERS/Keith Bedford

A University of Wisconsin cheerleader cheers for her team in a 2008 file photo. REUTERS/Brent Smith

Rex, the poor dog who needs more Facebook friends.

Comments

Is Rex really a poor dog? He looks quite frolicky to me!!

My cat has his own FB page. He has a few friends. I’d only be worried if his friend list topped mine. I have 600 something friends. He has 15. He’s got a loooong way to go!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Kitty Foo Foo? Unca are you meaning my cat whose name is Etcetera?

He gets me to do all his typing for him. He’s lazy like that. He does like to click the mouse though. I have to be careful not to draft any emails I don’t actually want to send!!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

You know what bothers me…
Drivers in the left lane driving 5 or 10 mph below the speed limit pacing another car in the right lane!
They seem to think they bought and paid for that lane or it is their righteous mission to slow everyone else down!

Posted by motex | Report as abusive

I back my car into parking spaces sometimes and you will damn well wait for me to do it!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Here in Switzerland you are supposed to park by backing into the available spots… And, obviously, you can be fined if you don’t, including parking curb-side on the street.

In any case, Robert, you are still welcome anytime, although I’m not sure I’ll let you drive my car.

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

iflydaplanes:

No, I won’t. And once you see my vehicle, you’ll realize why it won’t matter to me :)

Posted by bobSmith | Report as abusive

I hate how Facebook suggests that I friend someone I don’t even know, just because they’re a friend of my friend.

My cat doesn’t have a Facebook page, but I hate how she likes to sit and stare at me in the morning in an attempt to wake me with her feline telepathic powers. If that fails, she paws my face.

What really annoys me is that none of my three cats know how to cook for themselves. Life would be soooo much simpler if they actually followed those recipes they see on Food Network.

Posted by kgolden1 | Report as abusive

I am not sure RB can park properly…just saying…:P

kgolden, I know the feeling! More than once I’ve been drifting awake, trying to stay asleep only to be startled into a heart attack by Etcetera’s big blue eyes staring at me, then a little white paw looming large in my vision as he swipes at my nose.

Or, as sometimes the case may be, I wake up only to see a white furry streak in the air as he pounces full on my face, before I’m coherant enough to move.

Cats…can’t live with ‘em, wouldn’t live without ‘em!

:D

E>

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

fb asked me suggest a profile picture for a friend.. that was annoying too. everything annoys me. everything

Posted by Caglar | Report as abusive

@bobSmith,
I can imagine what kind of vehicle you might drive that would allow you to be unconcerned about other vehicles getting in your way. Sure, you might be able to roll over me with an air of nonchalance while you sip your morning coffee.

I got a nice 5.7L V8 with 310 fiesty ponnies under the hood that dare you to catch me first. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Caglar, yes! I’ve gotten that message, too. I have a giant close-up shot of a leech that I usually suggest.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Is REX, the “poor dog” a VIZSLA?

Posted by helcha8 | Report as abusive

hahahha :)

Posted by Caglar | Report as abusive

Yes, I believe he is.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

You know what annoys me? Little old ladies that fart at the doctors office, then scowl at me like I did it. If I do it, I claim it!

Posted by T54 | Report as abusive

May I ask a totally unrelated question? Being new to this whole blog thing, perhaps you can clear something up for me – Mr. Basler’s short bio indicates he writes a humor blog and a reader feedback blog.

Aren’t they pretty much the same thing?

And if I may be somewhat more forward (And likely committing numerous heinous blog ill-mannerisms), how many of you bloggers are actually Mr. Robert Basler, masquerading as someone else to simply meet his reader response quota and get a huge bonus?

I’ll understand if you want to ban me, Mr. Basler, for being presumptious.

Posted by Haymaker2 | Report as abusive

Haymaker2,

I’m not sure if your first question is meant to be funny, so I’ll answer it seriously. I do two blogs. This one, and a reader feedback blog called The Good, the Bad & the Ugly http://blogs.reuters.com/gbu/.

As to your second point, all of my strange personalities come out in my blog posts, so I don’t need to masquerade as anybody. If I do add something in the comments section, I use my real name. Or sometimes I use Haymaker 2.

Don’t worry, I get my huge bonus whether anybody responds or not.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Baz gets a bonus? I didn’t even realize he got paid!!!

:) )

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Isn’t hanging out with US bonus enough?

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Of course it is, Bethy.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Are you sure we are not all just an amalgamation of the voices in your head Mr. B.? Do you really think people would follow all this ridiculousness of their own accord? Have you ever seen fight club?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I’m quite taken aback; I’ve been reading this blog for many months now and haven’t seen anything serious. Although my newness to blogging is quite accurate.

*sigh

Maybe I should stick to reading, not writing.

Posted by Haymaker2 | Report as abusive

@ifly … I don’t care how you park, as long as you fly OK.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

So let me get this straight: you want me to read today’s blog about what annoys you yet have the audacity to ask me to join your blog community AND follow you on twitter!?

[...the nerve of some people....]

Posted by boreddaily | Report as abusive

Haymaker2, welcome to the comments section of the blog… when you read, you comment… and when you comment, you dont preach or teach… coz then you get zapped by me… but of course, you would have read that by now…

As for being an Alter ego to Mr. RCB… no, thank you… then again if he gets me some shots of Mr.Fab Abs and some real classy shoes (wearable and not atrocious).. well, maybe then I wouldnt curse him… still searching for the perfect hex actually…

I can’t see difference between waiting for someone to park backwards and waiting for someone to reverse out of a space. It’s the incompetence of the driver that is up for question.

The drivers who annoy me are those who think they’re driving a tank rather than a small car and refuse to pass me in the lane or reverse. And the people who take their kids for a stroll down the middle of the lane, ‘coz itz the cuntry innit,’ roll on summer!

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Love starbucks so no comments..

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Welcome back, Knit.

Here’s the thing. Backing OUT of a space is the natural order of things. It’s God’s will. It’s probably mentioned in The Bible. But backing INTO a space is Satan’s work.

I hope this helps you.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

That explains a lot Mr B. I was told always to back into a space in order to be able to make a quick get-away. Clearly I have been taught to drive by heathens. :)

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Sorry I can’t come up with a driving comment. I don’t drive. Although I do park.

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

@justM… Yeah I fly pretty ok, haven’t bent any metal yet. Unfortunatly there is not reverse on an airplane so we always have to pull in forwards to a spot.

@Mr. B…. it was said way back in the day… way way back.. that people who were left handed were spawns of the devil. I am left handed. Now you say people who back into a parking space are doing Satans work. I back into parking spaces. And a Ouija board once told me my aura was evil.

I really think I am gonna develop a complex or something.

YOU WILL ALL BOW DOWN TO THE WILL OF THE PILOT! YOU WILL ALL BOARD THE AIRCRAFT IN AN ORDERLY FASHION AND PUT YOUR SEATS IN THE UPRIGHT POSITION SO WE CAN PREPARE FOR TAKEOFF. OUR DESTINATION IS HEEEELLLLLLLLL. MUAH HA HA HA HA HA.

Current temperature in hell is a balmy 1,000,000 degrees.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Rule of life Number 2 – Always park facing the direction of escape. Excepting certain circumstances of four-wheel drive and/or the willingness to drive through hedges; this means backing into spaces. Drivers of vans needing to load or unload through rear opening doors are exempt from this rule.

Also, is the Starbucks logo a two tailed mermaid ?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

How about those white, rectangular censorship bars?

Those annoy everyone, right?
RIGHT!?

Posted by SkimpyDog | Report as abusive

Damn right SkimpyDog! Down with white, rectangular censorship bars!!

Down with ANY color censorship bars! Just in case you try to get sneaky on us.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Skimpy! You hit on the MOST annoying thing in the world. Well, ok, maybe on this blog. Which is a humor blog, after all. And not a serious blog, like some people who visit and read only one post seem to think.

Shra, your zapper has to be working overtime here lately.

BG – we’ve got a security guy who works with us that call backing into parking spaces “parking tactically”. Now, I don’t want to get into any religious wars here and get sent to see the Pope, but I gotta say that having your nose pointed towards the way out of trouble has always seemed like a good idea to me, so backing in is definitely the way to go. Unless you are just running into the Starbucks for a Tea Tea Latte….

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Skimpy, Pilot, Dave, do I need to warn you yet again about the dangers of breast blindness? I do and do and do for you readers….

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/03/01/youre-naked-behind-those-white- bars/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Hey if the last thing I saw before I went blind was a pair of nice bouncy boobies then I think I would be good with that.

So bring ‘em on! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That was so funny Unca that I can’t even respond. You totally got me on that one! :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive