Are you Laverne or Shirley?

April 3, 2010

USA/

Blog Guy, please settle a bet I have with my neighbor’s plumber.

Oh, here we go again. Always settling bets.

What are the top three most prestigious beauty pageants in the world? I figure Miss Universe and Miss America for sure, but what’s the third?

cyclone combo 240That would be Miss Cyclone, no question.

Miss Cyclone?

Yeah, The Cyclone is the legendary roller coaster at New York’s Coney Island. A young lady named Angie Pontani was just named the 2010 Miss Cyclone. In fairness, I think she was also Miss Cyclone in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

I had no idea. What do they look for in a Miss Cyclone?

Just judging from the photo, I’d say they go for the chick with the fewest visible tattoos. In Angie’s case, that appears to be two. Of course, I have no idea what she’s got under those black gloves.

What do you think it’s like, being a roller coaster queen?

It has its ups and downs.

Angie Pontani, the 2010 Miss Cyclone, stands next to the roller coaster at Coney Island in New York, April 1, 2010. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

People ride the Cyclone roller coaster at Coney Island in New York, April 1, 2010. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

It must be a very prestigious award judging by the interest of the crowd behind Miss Cyclone.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by rbasler: Are you Laverne or Shirley? http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/04/03/are-you-laverne-or-shirley/…

Iowa State Cyclones need her to come for a visit

Posted by love91 | Report as abusive

She has the air of someone who has been smiling for some time and is getting thoroughly fed up of it.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Very perceptive, CrowGirl. That also describes the look on my personal photo attached to this blog. Yeah, I’m afraid that’s what passes for a smile.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

[...] Are you Laverne or Shirley? | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters [...]

I keep looking at her eyes and wondering if there is anyone home or if that’s a dummy.

Posted by CATRYNA49 | Report as abusive

[...] Are you Laverne or Shirley? | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters [...]

No Mr. B. that’s the smirk of someone who just snuck a fart that no one noticed and is pretty damn proud of it.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

God help the cyclone folks if she’s their beauty queen…no offence :P

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

@fwd079, notice how no one is looking at her? :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Olive Oyl huh? Talk about canary legs!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I thought she was auditioning for a possible role in X Men Reinstated! :)

Hmm, what with the tattoos and the ‘hit man’ gloves, I’m wondering what became of the other contestants?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Wake up with a smile, go to sleep with a coat hanger in your mouth…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Seriously?!?…are you all really passing judgment on a person from one photo?!? Angie Pontani has been a huge political activist in the revitalization of Coney Island…and a pioneer in the revival of burlesque. You should all be ashamed of your “schoolyard” comments, and do some research, before you get your “high school behavior” on…

Posted by bkchic1073 | Report as abusive

Oh god! Not again!!! There I am not going to even warn… Zap bkchic1073! Dang!

@bkchic1073…. Seriously?!?…are you really making a serious, accusational comment on a blog that’s captioned as “news, but not the serious kind”? Mr. B. has been a huge humor bloggist in the revitalization of Reuters… and a pioneer of the art of medidonut cultivating. You should be ashamed of your “I am holy-er than thou” comment and do some research before you get your “I have nothing better to do than bitch behavior” on..

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Andrew Meyer is a political activist, receiving his 15 minutes of fame at the John Kerry get together when he was assisted in leaving while shouting “Don’t tase me, Bro!”

Set your Tasers on ‘drive stun’ and assist bkchic1073 out the Blog door.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

FTW ifly!!

But seriously, I thought Dita von Teese was the pioneer in the revival of burlesque? And Miss Cyclone here was just a Dita wanna-be?

Or has bkchic1073 not heard of Dita?

:?

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

I just love it when he gets all worked up like that…. :)

E, “FTW”?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

[...] ¿Cuáles son los tres principales concursos de belleza más prestigiosos del mundo? Me imagino que Miss Universo y Miss Estados Unidos con seguridad, pero ¿cuál es el tercero? URL del artículo original http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/04/03/are-you-laverne-or-shirley/ [...]

Wow. I thought I was just passing comment on that one photograph. I had no idea people would judge me on an overall opinion of the photographee.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Uh..unca? bkchic bereted all of us…silly girl (?) had nothing better to do with her time.

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Make lurve, not war! Think of the children, why won’t anyone ever think about the children?! Have a Coke and smile! Tra-la-la-la-laaaaa.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Something there in that Coke, Mr.Pilot? ;)

Ha ha there used to be!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

[...] we go again with the settling of stuff. That’s all I do anymore. I should be a contender for that Supreme Court [...]