Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Big yawn on the South Lawn…

April 6, 2010

OBAMA/

Blog Guy, I see lots of photos of Michelle Obama, reading books to school children. This is wonderful. What better way to instill an interest in reading and story-telling than to get to listen to the first lady. Her children are SO lucky!

horton poster 240Um, maybe. Here’s a shot of Ms. Obama reading “Horton Hatches the Egg” at the annual Easter Egg Roll on the South Lawn of the White House. As you can see, her own daughter can’t quite stifle a yawn.

That’s unfortunate. Why would that be?

Well, for one thing, Michelle read the book in her native Estonian language, so nobody understood a word.

She also has a very high-pitched, whiny reading voice which is hard to take, and she tends to skip several pages at a time and just say, “Blah blah blah, you know, you know…”

Blog Guy, I think you’re full of crap. The first lady does not speak Estonian or sound whiny. Why was Malia really yawning?

Because she’s embarrassed that her mom doesn’t seem to know about the 2008 Jim Carrey movie, “Horton Hears a Who!” which they could have rented and watched on a big-screen White House television.

Malia Obama (L) yawns as she listens to her mother U.S. first lady Michelle Obama read a Dr. Seuss book at the annual Easter Egg Roll on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington April 5, 2010. REUTERS/Larry Downing

Comments

Malia looks very much like Michelle… so, maybe she yawns like Michelle… snorts like Michelle… how do Malia and Chelsea get along?

That’s not a yawn. She is doing an impression of a Plaid-breasted Shnozbat. Ya know, to add some atmosphere to the book.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

When Malia heard the words ‘Eggroll’, ‘Book’, and ‘Grass’, she probably thought she was going to be eating Chinese food and having a *smoke*, while reading an e-book on her iPad.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I bet the girl did get a telling off afterwards LOL :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I would suffer through Mrs. First Lady droning through a book if I could get me some of that catering I am sure the White House has for these events. Recession be damned, no doubt only the best culinary delights for the POTUS and fam!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

To be appealing to today’s youth, I think Dr. Seuss needs to be updated. Something along the lines of “Horton Gets a Tattoo.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I have a tattoo! :P

Of what and where Shra? Those are requesite questions.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

One of the most valuable things I learned in elementary school (in 6th grade, in fact) was how to yawn with my mouth closed. God bless you, Mrs. Aldrich!

(Unca can testify how important that skill would be in bootcamp.)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I once had a boss who yelled at people for yawning at work. Needless to say, I didn’t stay in that job for long!!

Sheesh!

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Sounds like you had a pretty rough 6th grade Dr. D. Did the teacher slap you on the palm of your hand with a ruler if you yawned?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I got a japanese kanji which says traveller on my left ankle, Mr.Pilot… Oh and we used to yawn whenever possible… always with the teacher’s back to us… and we also had an effective technique to wake each otehr up… flinging chalks from rubber band slingshots reallllly hurts!!!

From what I have heard, getting a tat on your ankle hurts!

I dunno what a Japanese kanji is.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Mrs. Aldrich was a wonderful teacher. I don’t think she ever even raised her voice, not to me anyway.

One discussion I’ll never forget. She told us that she had a sure-fire way to beat a speeding ticket.

(By way of background, this was back in the day before speed guns, when police “clocked” a driver by tailing the dirver and looking at the speedometer in the police car.)

We were all excited and sat up in our chairs, eagerly listening. Her sure fire method? Prove that the speedometer in the police car was inaccurate. In other words, her sure-fire method assumed that you were not speeding. it wasn’t a method that could be used if you were speeding.

Our interest in her method faded right there, and we melted back down into our seats.

Today, that talk means a lot to me. Implicit in her talk was the assumption that if you were speeding you paid your fine and moved on. You owned up. You took responsibility for your actions. You didn’t try to get away with wrongdoing.

I think of that talk whenever I encounter some bozo who wants me to help him escape the consequences of his misconduct. (And that happens a lot!) The last time one of my relatives asked me to help her get out of a speeding ticket, I told her that if she was speeding she should be fined.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

(Needless to say, I am not a criminal-defense lawyer.)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

You are a professor… thanks to Mrs. Aldrich..
Mr. Pilot, the tat is just above my ankle… and its a letter in the Japanese script.