Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Is that a frosty mug I see before me?

April 8, 2010

All you people who think I make up everything in this blog, check it out.

A real story, and much better than anything I could invent.

S&N/It turns out that over there in Denmark, several hundred employees at the Carlsberg brewery have stopped work for a couple of days to protest a company decision to limit beer drinking at work to lunch breaks.

I’ll let that sink in for minute. Some of  the workers are cheesed-off because they can ONLY drink at lunch, instead of whenever they want, like they used to.

It gets much better. According to a company spokesman, the Carlsberg DRIVERS have retained an old right to have three beers per day OUTSIDE lunch hours, and warehouse workers wanted the same right.

carlsberg bottom 260This story seemed so astounding I double-checked with our Copenhagen bureau, and they swear it’s true.

BTW, I’m also told that back in the 1980s, when Carlsberg stopped adding vitamin C to their beer, some of their workers developed scurvy, but I consider that bit of gossip WAY too good to be true.

Lamar, you heading out with that truckload of beer?

Yeah Boss. Just let me finish my three beers, and then drink my lunch, and I’ll be off…

Good lad, Lamar. Hey, you wanna grab a beer after work?

Right: A Carlsberg beer logo is seen at a pub in central London in a 2008 file photo. REUTERS/Toby Melville

Left: A visitor to the London Brewers’ Beer Festival tries a bottle of Carlsberg beerin a 1997 file photo. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

Comments

The idea of drinking beer all day five days a week makes me feel ill. For that matter, so does drinking beer at lunch five days a week.

Some Bavarians drink Weisenbier (wheatbeer) in the morning. (It is one of those nice breakfast beers.) This bier is sold in half-liter bottles.

In Augsburg, I did that just once and had a jangled hangover the rest of the day. Ruined my whole day!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Are you sure this story isn’t from Australia – alcoholism capital of the world?

Posted by LMR | Report as abusive

I know a couple of friends who would be outraged at this limitation…. alas, they are never sober enough to read anything like this…. kidding.. Jeez you would think all my acquaintances are drunks of some kind!! Tho the Carlsberg brewery is quite nice…. was there last month in the freezing cold…!

@RB: hahaha nice one :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

You know somehting…. I am really pis*ed off right now… why cant people mind their own f**king business and let me do my job! Idiotic office workers who think they know everyone else’ job along with theor own! Dang, i am so raving mad right now!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Shra, maybe if you go have a look at the item I just posted, you’ll be in a better mood….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Oh right, Nosmo… Like THAT’S gonna happen anytime soon.
Maybe you should read this post from a couple of years ago…
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 08/10/10/toss-another-noun-on-the-noun-m ate/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Thanks for that, BG.. I am calmer now…

Spam baskets got me again.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Thanks BG.
You know that Dingo is lucky, in many parts of the world you can’t take your pets into a hotel, and he would have had to leave his human outside.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Their health and safety policies must be fascinating. Imagine working on a line with canning machinery and reaching into it for another beer…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Hey CrowGirl, any idea what happened to KnitNurse? I hope she doesn’t think she can just leave here anytime she likes. I’m gonna have to send somebody after her.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Thirty years ago I worked in a foundry in Germany. We had beer machines right on the shop floor. We could down a cold one while refilling the drop cauldrens. Great system, until somebody tipped a load of molten steel into their boot. The beer machines left shortly after that…. But not in the lunch room!

Posted by NWHiker | Report as abusive

Thirty years ago, I worked with the German Polizei in Augsburg and Munich. On night shifts, we would go back to the precinct to eat (usually real Italian pizza) and pass around a liter Mas of bier.

Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

MMmmmmmmm beer.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

She’ll be back Mr B. She was down here at weekend but now she’s gone back up home; I think she’s waiting on her phone line being fixed. If you live in rural nowhere you get crackling connections when it rains, so the internet is a bit tricky…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Ok, I’m back.
Nothing stirs my antipodean angst like punters on this post ‘Aussie-bashing’. “Alcoholism capital of the world”- LMR, Nosmo King, you both just made my list.
And when I get out of rehab, and learn how to fill in my passport application without using crayon, I’ll find you.
Trsut me. Hic,,

Posted by floppagrunny | Report as abusive

You’re in luck. LMR is already IN Australia. Maybe even in rehab with you.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

So you say, BG… so you say…

Shra, I agree… we still have to have the report of the commission sent to inspect Robert’s basement.

By the way, the ARE taking a bit longer than originally thought… I do guess 23 months is just about what’s needed to check somebody’s basement, but it does seem kind of long!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

Nosmo King wrote: Well, now we know why Denmark rates so highly in those ‘happiest places to live’ surveys. Watch out though, I suspect that once Australians learn to read, they’ll be flooding over ther in droves.
________________________________________ _________________
And I am sure that once you learn how to spell, you will report on it.

Posted by PetiteLoup | Report as abusive