Founding Father Lurches onto Broadway?

April 12, 2010

Blog Guy, I hear there’s a new Broadway musical with Nathan Lane. Know anything about it?

Yeah, that’s “The Adams Family,” which just opened. I believe it chronicles the life of our second president, John Adams, and his wife, Abigail.

USA

Are you sure? Because from the pictures I’ve seen, it looks like it’s about the ADDAMS family cartoon characters. You know Morticia, Gomez, Lurch….

Oh no, I think I’m right on this. Check the lyrics from one of the show’s big numbers.

addams vertical combo 160doo doo doo doo (snap snap) doo doo doo doo (snap snap)
doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo (snap snap)

His wife, her name was Abby, his kitten was a tabby,
Their mansion wasn’t shabby,
The Adams Family

He signed the Declaration, they had a celebration,
Then took a French vacation,
The Adams Family

There was a Revolution, he helped with the solution,
He wrote the Constitution,
The Adams Family

This song is sophomoric, not even allegoric
They surely were historic,
The Adams Family

By gosh, Blog Guy, it looks like you’re right for once! Thanks for helping me avoid a big wasted evening.

Actors Nathan Lane (R) and Bebe Neuwirth perform during the opening night of the Broadway play “The Addams Family” in New York April 8, 2010. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

Portrait of President John Adams

I love Adams Family!!!
And those lyrics were just the thing to make me smile…
I know there was a reason I visited this blog on an average of 5 times a day, (give or take, more or less, everyday)

I work with a guy who looks like Uncle Fester. Well, a not bald and pasty looking Uncle Fester, but looks like him none the less. Although Uncle Festers personality is waaaay more charming than the bum I work with.

And tell us Mr. B., how long did it really take you to come up with that little ditty?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Pilot: How long did it take ME? You don’t understand. Those lyrics are straight from the cast album.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

The resemblance is uncanny.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

you are kidding, right, Basler?
And in the odd case you are taking humour seriously, then I really hope to see this show… it would be a grand affair!!

Bebe Neuwirth definitely IS a Babe.. anyone else fancy goths?? :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

It is a little known fact that Benjamin Franklin brought “Thing” to life when President Adams needed a hand around the Oval Office.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

At the risk of being liquorice whipped, the expression “first-hand” comes from Thing’s days in the Oval Office.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Here is another little known fact about Adams’s presidency. When jefferson defeated Adams in the presidential election, Adams was so upset that he hurriedly left the White House in the middle of the night and accidently left Thing behind! Sad, but true. And that is why, even though Thing is a disembodied right hand, Thing is left-handed.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Shra is going to come after me for teaching, but I just thought people would be interested in the handedness of various presidents.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I understand that President Obama has interviewed Thing for a position on his staff, since the legendary “football” is now avaialble in a “handheld” model.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

The play is about the Adams family, not the Addams family. I know because I saw Lane and Neuwirth play John and Abigail on a PBS special, and then they took the show to Broadway. So Blog Guy, as usual, is right.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

Thanks for backing me up, Slick….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

But Jefferson had his wife who gave him a hand when he was president. So Jefferson and Adams met, and Jefferson returned Thing to Adams. It was quite amicable. The two presidents shook hands and departed friends.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

With Thing, President George W. Bush had a hand in various international affairs during his presidency. I understand that President Bush missed Thing terribly when he shook the and of the President of Haiti recently, but fortunately, President Clinton was there to help Presient Bush out.
http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com/archives/2 010/03/bush_shakes_hai.html

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Sorry fwd… not really into the goth scene. Although Abbey from NCIS has a certain attractiveness to her.

Sorry Mr. B., I was gonna say that was quite a catchy little ditty but since you didn’t come up with it I will give the credit where it is otherwise due. Oh and is it the same Adams family that made the beer?

MMMMmmmmmmmm beer.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Doc, you seem to have a lotta free time on your Hands.. how about you run from IT if you dont want some THING to Fester you…

One would think that, with Thing’s assistance, Adams would have handily defeated Jefferson in the Presidential election. But such was not the case. Thing had an assistant, and the assistant had an assistant. So, by the time Adams received vital political information from Thing, it was third hand. It was rumored at the time that Thing’s assistants were real knuckleheads who only gave Admas a thumbnail sketch of the facts. It was a sad case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing.

The truth is that Thing was actually acting as a political double agent (Thing was secretly ambidextrous.) Sure, Thing would fist-bump with Adams in the White House, but at night he was palming information and handing it over to Jefferson, who found Thing’s assistance very handly. So Jefferson won the election, hands down, hand over fist.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Shra, I rose early and wrote a motion. One of my assistants is carrying it to opposing counsel. Yes, even now, it is being hand-delivered.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

My assistant is carrying the motion in a handbag.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

[...] this article: Founding Father Lurches onto Broadway? | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters Posted in Father | Tags: [...]

It is my understanding that Tom Cruise tried out for the part of Cousin It, but got rejected becuase he was too short.

Posted by zeitgeist | Report as abusive

Who cast the chubby Gomez ?! Noooooooooo !

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@Ifly : Ah see? Everyone likes one or two of them :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Point taken fwd… perhaps it’s the idea of sleeping..among other things…in a coffin that is a bit intriguing. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

[...] Hubo una revolución, ayudó con la solución, él escribió la Constitución, La Familia Adams. . . URL del artículo original http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/04/12/founding-father-lurches-onto-br oadway/ [...]